Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Richard "Fig" Newton, 3* 2018 RB, Palmdale, CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

priapism said:

Newton and Brown look like future DBs to me. They lack a step or 2 in speed to be serious contenders at RB in the Pac. They have the right frames for DBs tho. Brown looks like he has a step on Newton. Lowe would make for a better RB than them in this class.

Brown is 220 lbs. He's a power back. He'll never be a speed guy but when you need a RB to get you five yards a carry against a tough defense Brown could be that guy. You're right about Newton. He's 180 lbs soaking wet. I'm tired of these tiny ass RB's. They're good for the most part in the Pac-12 but we need big backs to beat the big boys.
    My god, not "power back" bullshit. Eeeesh.
    When was the last time you saw a team win the national championship without using a power back?
    Last January.

Also in 2013, when Florida State won it all.

Florida 2008 and 2006. Texas 2005.

Terrible argument.
    I was going to argue then realized Bama lost the final
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

We? already have a big, powerful back. His name is @PostGameOrangeSlices

Thread/
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    BallzDeep said:

Tequilla said:

BallzDeep said:

Tequilla said:

The big back argument is vastly overrated to me as what is a big back and what's the purpose of one?

As with most things, all things being equal you take the size ... but I'd take talent ahead of size

I would consider a big back a RB that's 215+, a medium back is 200-215, and a small back less than 200. The purpose is having a big motherfucker that can break tackles, get yards after contact, and wear down defenses so that your team can finish strong in the fourth quarter against a defense that's tired of tackling a big motherfucker. But no I'm sure your right and every NFL coach is wrong and every college coach winning national championships is wrong. You guys are right. Big backs don't matter. What was I thinking.
    Do you consider CJ Prosise a big back?

Big back in terms of size, yes. Power back in terms of physicality, no. He's more of a finesse back which is why he's a 3rd string back up and the starter is 250 lb Feast Mode.
    My point is that he's 220 and by your definition a big back

Scarborough at 235+ is a big back

15 lbs for a RB is a big deal
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

Tequilla said:

The big back argument is vastly overrated to me as what is a big back and what's the purpose of one?

As with most things, all things being equal you take the size ... but I'd take talent ahead of size

I would consider a big back a RB that's 215+, a medium back is 200-215, and a small back less than 200. The purpose is having a big motherfucker that can break tackles, get yards after contact, and wear down defenses so that your team can finish strong in the fourth quarter against a defense that's tired of tackling a big motherfucker. But no I'm sure your right and every NFL coach is wrong and every college coach winning national championships is wrong. You guys are right. Big backs don't matter. What was I thinking.
    The OL plays a much bigger part in wearing a defense down than a RB.

Nobody has anything against power backs, but the real point is to get good RB's. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
    No shit Sherlock. I want big backs that are also good.
    How many elite power backs are there though? The few out there are all going to USC or SEC schools, they're not coming to fucking Washington. I think its just a lot easier to find smaller backs, and its not worth sacrificing the talent difference to go with the bigger back. Bo Scarbroughs don't grow on trees, especially not on the west coast.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    In the 2015 class UW went after both Chris Warren and Myles Gaskin. Warren was the higher rated recruit and undeniably a "power back" at 6'3 240. His highlights were more him just running over people while Gaskin's showcased his vision and elusiveness a bit more. I think everyone on this bored would rather have Gaskin than Warren and wouldn't think twice about it.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    BallzDeep said:

NEsnake12 said:

In the 2015 class UW went after both Chris Warren and Myles Gaskin. Warren was the higher rated recruit and undeniably a "power back" at 6'3 240. His highlights were more him just running over people while Gaskin's showcased his vision and elusiveness a bit more. I think everyone on this bored would rather have Gaskin than Warren and wouldn't think twice about it.

FUCK NO! Warren is a fucking beast! I would trade him for Gaskin in a heart beat. Congratulations, you just won Doog of the year with that one.
    Wake me up when Chris Warren does anything against a remotely good defense.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    BallzDeep said:

dnc said:

BallzDeep said:

NEsnake12 said:

FUCK NO! Warren is a fucking beast! I would trade him for Gaskin in a heart beat. Congratulations, you just won Doog of the year with that one.
    You'd rather have Chris Warren than Myles Gaskin. Your a fucking moron.

Your opinions will no longer be needed.

TYFYS, but WDWYA.

Chris Warren is an NFL talent. Myles Gaskin is not. You clearly don't know shit about football and never played the game. UW would without a doubt be a better team and have a better chance of winning in the playoffs with Warren.
    Why are you so angry all the time?
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    BallzDeep said:

NEsnake12 said:

BallzDeep said:

NEsnake12 said:

Wake me up when Chris Warren does anything against a remotely good defense.
    Up until this season he was a back up to another NFL talent in Deonte Foreman. I'll be sure to bump this thread when Warren is drafted ahead of Gaskin if Gaskin gets drafted at all. And yeah, Gaskin is running all over great defenses in the Pac-12. Those defenses for Oregon, Cal, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, and WSU were all so good last season.
    The fact that this thread has devolved to you taking shots at Myles Gaskin is fucking fascinating. I hope Sean Mcgrew balls out just to spite you.