Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Richard "Fig" Newton, 3* 2018 RB, Palmdale, CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    His brother (half-brother?) played running back for University of Texas a few years ago. He was showing some good promise, despite having measurables that were not very impressive. Unfortunately he got one too many concussions and had to retire from the game as a RS-Soph.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Newton and Brown look like future DBs to me. They lack a step or 2 in speed to be serious contenders at RB in the Pac. They have the right frames for DBs tho. Brown looks like he has a step on Newton. Lowe would make for a better RB than them in this class.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    priapism said:

Newton and Brown look like future DBs to me. They lack a step or 2 in speed to be serious contenders at RB in the Pac. They have the right frames for DBs tho. Brown looks like he has a step on Newton. Lowe would make for a better RB than them in this class.

Brown would be a good LB if you want him on defense. He's too big for DB.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

priapism said:

Brown would be a good LB if you want him on defense. He's too big for DB.
    UCLA is recruiting Brown as an ATH... RB/LB.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2017
    Unless you count Tim Tebow as a single wing fullback in 2008, which would actually be a pretty solid argument.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The big back argument is vastly overrated to me as what is a big back and what's the purpose of one?

As with most things, all things being equal you take the size ... but I'd take talent ahead of size
  • Options
    BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

AIRWOLF said:

BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

priapism said:

Brown is 220 lbs. He's a power back. He'll never be a speed guy but when you need a RB to get you five yards a carry against a tough defense Brown could be that guy. You're right about Newton. He's 180 lbs soaking wet. I'm tired of these tiny ass RB's. They're good for the most part in the Pac-12 but we need big backs to beat the big boys.
    My god, not "power back" bullshit. Eeeesh.
    When was the last time you saw a team win the national championship without using a power back?
    Last January.

Also in 2013, when Florida State won it all.

Florida 2008 and 2006. Texas 2005.

Terrible argument.
    None of them were less than 200 lbs.
    AIRWOLF said:

BallzDeep said:

AIRWOLF said:

BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

priapism said:

Brown is 220 lbs. He's a power back. He'll never be a speed guy but when you need a RB to get you five yards a carry against a tough defense Brown could be that guy. You're right about Newton. He's 180 lbs soaking wet. I'm tired of these tiny ass RB's. They're good for the most part in the Pac-12 but we need big backs to beat the big boys.
    My god, not "power back" bullshit. Eeeesh.
    When was the last time you saw a team win the national championship without using a power back?
    Last January.

Also in 2013, when Florida State won it all.

Florida 2008 and 2006. Texas 2005.

Terrible argument.
    None of them were less than 200 lbs.
    Most of them were when they were Juniors in HS.

And way to change your argument after it is shown to be wrong.
    And then they weren't less than 200 in college bitch. And I didn't change my argument I simply added to it.

1. Your argument is false. Those RB's weren't small. Just not 230.

2. If all you can do is point to 3 teams out of the last 20 years in which their primary RB was only 200-210 lbs then you just proved my fucking point. Percentage wise the vast majority of the teams winning the national title are doing it with big backs.
    He gave you 5 champions in the last 12 years retard. Far cry from 3 in 20.

And yes you changed your argument, unless you're seriously trying to sell a 206 lb RB as a power back.

And pointing out that a championship team has a big back in the rotation does nothing to establish that they don't recruit small backs too. It's almost like Washington is still allowed to add a big back at some point if they decide to.

And Salvon Ahmed will never be mistaken for a power back but he's going to be the fucking man.

It's dumb shit like this that made the whole doog world think Chris Warren was going to be a better RB Miles Gaskin.

Get good RB's.

The end.
  • Options
    BallzDeep said:

Suck a dick DNC you fucking Doog

You're the doog here and you don't even realize it.

Sad.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    BallzDeep said:

Suck a dick DNC you fucking Doog

I volunteer as tribute.
    Tequilla said:

The big back argument is vastly overrated to me as what is a big back and what's the purpose of one?

As with most things, all things being equal you take the size ... but I'd take talent ahead of size

I guess the convential wisdom is that bigger backs are harder to bring down, and usually can fall forward for extra yards in short yardage situations. But yeah, I wouldn't take a big back just to have one if he was absolutely trash. Brown is aight though, I wouldn't mind using a scholly on him. Move Pleasant to safety or something...
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    BallzDeep said:

Tequilla said:

I would consider a big back a RB that's 215+, a medium back is 200-215, and a small back less than 200. The purpose is having a big motherfucker that can break tackles, get yards after contact, and wear down defenses so that your team can finish strong in the fourth quarter against a defense that's tired of tackling a big motherfucker. But no I'm sure your right and every NFL coach is wrong and every college coach winning national championships is wrong. You guys are right. Big backs don't matter. What was I thinking.
    Do you consider CJ Prosise a big back?

• Options
    BallzDeep said:

Tequilla said:

Yeah I'm sure you guys are right and every NFL coach and college coach winning national championships are wrong. Big backs aren't important. What was I thinking.
    You already said this in reply to this same exact poast.

Turrets?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    We? already have a big, powerful back. His name is @PostGameOrangeSlices