Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Possible UW Hires if the rumor is true

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Jesus Christ - you put Cameron Dollar on that list? Are you fucking kidding?

Just hire Jerome Collins if you want to do stupid shit.

At least you admit it's a lazy hire.

I understand it's difficult to read. especially when i go @Tequilla long, but christ. Dollar would be a TERRIBLE hire based on track record. Bigly terrible! That being said, to deny that tits won't consider him is insane. He's a UW guy who's been in the area and has college experience and will coach for cheap. All of the requirements many people believe will happen. My list is based on possible hires, not what the i dream of Jeanie list looks like.

I don't want 90% of the list i wrote, but it's a much more realistic view of who is available and may actually sign up for the job. UW isn't paying almost 2M for romar for 2 more years plus paying 3-4 million a year. It isn't happening. So the 1-2 million range is realistic.

My picks of realistic coaches are rice and musselman. Yes there could be a dark horse but that's why they are a dark horse. Bennett is also a great option and I should have included him in the possible list. I'd still take rice or musselman over him, but still should be there.

As @RoadDawg55 put it, we? are a football school, so yes this job is not going to be an obvious jump to greatness. Romar for all his faults has brought a few top guys in and it's not based on program trajectory(ask markelle).

That's great we are a football school but that doesnt really matter. The talent that comes out of the Seattle area is ridiculous. It would not be that tough to turn this program around and contend for the Pac 12. Especially with how much turnover college basketball has in general.

Win and the place is full lose for 6 seasons and no one cares. Pretty simple.
    I hope we do hire a big time coach. I doubt it happens. Nobody nationally gives a fuck about UW. I'm not even upset about that. Just get rid of Romar and I'll give the next guy a couple years to see what he can do as long as he isn't some drecky retread with limited success.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    dnc said:

I understand it's difficult to read. especially when i go @Tequilla long, but christ. Dollar would be a TERRIBLE hire based on track record. Bigly terrible! That being said, to deny that tits won't consider him is insane. He's a UW guy who's been in the area and has college experience and will coach for cheap. All of the requirements many people believe will happen. My list is based on possible hires, not what the i dream of Jeanie list looks like.

I don't want 90% of the list i wrote, but it's a much more realistic view of who is available and may actually sign up for the job. UW isn't paying almost 2M for romar for 2 more years plus paying 3-4 million a year. It isn't happening. So the 1-2 million range is realistic.

My picks of realistic coaches are rice and musselman. Yes there could be a dark horse but that's why they are a dark horse. Bennett is also a great option and I should have included him in the possible list. I'd still take rice or musselman over him, but still should be there.

As @RoadDawg55 put it, we? are a football school, so yes this job is not going to be an obvious jump to greatness. Romar for all his faults has brought a few top guys in and it's not based on program trajectory(ask markelle).

That's great we are a football school but that doesnt really matter. The talent that comes out of the Seattle area is ridiculous. It would not be that tough to turn this program around and contend for the Pac 12. Especially with how much turnover college basketball has in general.

The Seattle talent is highly overrated. The only 5 star recruit Seattle has put out in years is Porter and he only moved here for his senior year because Romar hired his dad. The Seattle talent base is solid but it got this amazing rep because there were about 5 years where it put out ridiculous talent, which happened to coincide with the years where UW football sucked and hoops was bearable so people gave a shit. But the talent hasn't been "ridiculous" for quite some time.

The only legit 5 star recruit the state has produced since Wroten is Zach Levine, and he was a like a low 20's guy nationally. The last top 10 national recruit the state produced was Abdul Gaddy. The last top 10 national recruit the state produced that was actually worth a damn was Spencer Hawes.

Spencer Hawes is in his 10th season in the NBA.

Seattle area talent is good. But it's not enough of itself to draw a good coach. It's going to take a commitment to hoops and a shit ton of money. Smart money says we'll be hiring someone who sucks.
    I think you may be forgetting about our boys teammate Avery Bradley, he's ok.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    dnc said:

The Seattle talent is highly overrated. The only 5 star recruit Seattle has put out in years is Porter and he only moved here for his senior year because Romar hired his dad. The Seattle talent base is solid but it got this amazing rep because there were about 5 years where it put out ridiculous talent, which happened to coincide with the years where UW football sucked and hoops was bearable so people gave a shit. But the talent hasn't been "ridiculous" for quite some time.

The only legit 5 star recruit the state has produced since Wroten is Zach Levine, and he was a like a low 20's guy nationally. The last top 10 national recruit the state produced was Abdul Gaddy. The last top 10 national recruit the state produced that was actually worth a damn was Spencer Hawes.

Seattle area talent is good. But it's not enough of itself to draw a good coach. It's going to take a commitment to hoops and a shit ton of money. Smart money says we'll be hiring someone who sucks.
  • doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,196 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Take this star fucktardedness back to doogman.

A Seattle kid literally was a first round draft pick last year. Christ!
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

He didn't finish HS in Washington, but if you want to count him I'm good with that.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    edited February 2017
    doogville said:

dnc said:

yea

bizarro world thread. some of my favorite poasters dnc/chavez/roaddawg talking like they've been manchurian candidated by fetters

Gladstone said:

Unfuckingbelievably dumb list. Sorry.

Who's yours? Who's possibly coming to UW? It's obviously a sarcastic bored, but who is running to this program yoda? Love to see it
    Indeed, who would possibly take the UW job?

Bark 4 Sark types reveal themselves eventually.
    that post was an almost literal copy+paste from some dawgman pollyanna attacking someone for questioning sark's coaching ability after getting blown out by every team with a pulse.

fuck this thread
    edited February 2017
    doogville said:

dnc said:

Hi there. Doogs think the Seattle talent base is special. That's the whole reason we can't fire Romar, remember. Get your doogman talking poonts straight.

And yes, you're right. A Seattle kid went 29th in the draft last year! One went 13th in 2014 (Lavine). One went 25th in 2012 (Wroten). That's it in the last 7 drafts, two late first rounders and one mid. Like I said, it's a good talent base. It's not close to ridiculous anymore.

It was ridiculous in (draft years) 2005-2009:

2005 #2 (Williams, hs class 04, 5 star, top 3 national recruit)
    2005 #6 (Webster, hs class 05, 5 star, top 5 recruit)
    2005 #21 (Robinson, hs class 02, 3 star recruit)
    2006 #6 (Roy, hs class 02, 4 star top 40 recruit)
    2007 #10 (Hawes, hs class 06, 5 star top 5 recruit)
    2007 #15 (Stuckey, hs class 04, 3 star recruit IIRC, grades issues)
    2007 #26 (Brooks, hs class, 03, 5 star recruit)
    2009 #11 (T Williams, hs class 05, 4 star, top 50 recruit)

That's 8 first rounders in 5 drafts, including four top ten picks and five lottery picks. THAT is ridiculous. (And that doesn't even include Marcus Williams (4 star, top 50) who went #33 in 07 or Brockman (5 star, top 15) who went #38 in 09.)

Compare that to three first rounders in the last 7 drafts since then, with no top ten picks and one lottery pick.

Seattle HS talent had an incredible run, but it hasn't been special a good decade.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    there's a 0% chance jenn will consider cameron dollar lol

i didn't read the other parts of his post

i love to bash the ad as much as anyone

but come on
    Gladstone said:

there's a 0% chance jenn will consider cameron dollar lol

i didn't read the other parts of his post

i love to bash the ad as much as anyone

but come on

Hope you're right. We'll see.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited February 2017
    @Gladstone, I agree about Dollar. That would be a terrible hire for obvious reasons.

I've seen enough coaching searches to know they don't always end well. More with football, but basketball too. There is a certain amount of luck involved. Most seem to end with the fans a little disappointed that their first options declined before talking themselves into the new hire.

I want Gregg Marshall or another top coach. I really, really fucking doubt it happens. You're a huge doog homer if you think UW is a relevant program nationally. It's not and hardly ever has been save for a year or two.

A 7 seed in 2011 was remembered as a really talented, fun team. We still talk about a Sweet 16 loss with the B Roy team. What about this basketball program is truly worth anything? A rabid arena and the doog pack?

Just fire Romar. I won't watch Husky Basketball until they do. I'll give the new coach a chance as long as it isn't some retread bum.

Up and comer, Archie Miller, former NBA coach, I really don't give a shit. If he sucks in three years, fire him too and start over.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,037
    Just hire some young guy like Nate Robinson etc. who has nothing else going on right now. Give him a $200K/year salary and a huge buyout clause if somebody wants to hire him away. UW basketball can actually make money - by developing coaches. Give him a $500K bonus for each round of the real tourney he progresses to = everybody is happy.
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

I'd be fine with Coach K or Bill Self. Those are my main targets. If not them, I'd fold the program

Fixed
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Sam Cunnliffe was a legit national recruit but the space between his ears is vacant.

Joe Harris - would have been a national recruit if Tony Bennett hadn't latched onto his dick early.

• MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,519 Swaye's Wigwam
    The only game I've watched this year was about 5 minutes of the UW-UCLA game at a casino and they eventually switched it off and put a women's UFC fight on.

Haven't really even seen Fultz play and couldn't name half the team
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    edited February 2017
    skinned said:

Can we put this thread in a delorean and have this conversation exactly one year from now? There is zero fucking chance Romar gets fired. The AD is too worried about losing the stacked recruiting class that will take our team to the CBT.

And in a year, after missing the tourney again and the departure of Michael Porter and other one-and-dones give me Mitch Henderson