Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Possible UW Hires if the rumor is true

FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
There is a lot a hope from the rumor that Romar will get fired and I thought I'd take a look at some of the possible options. First you have to consider that the pac 12 hasn't exactly been a great area for poaching top notch coaches. ASU ended up with Hurley, USC with Enfield, Cal with Cuanzo, and OSU with Tinkle. Larry K was a failed NBA guy who was now trying to battle back in college after success at Montana. UCLA for all it's big chops was able to hire New Mexico's finest? We? should temper the thoughts that UW is getting a big name.

The other consideration I think is insane is the $ amount thrown around needing to land a good coach. They will be able to land a very good coach for between $1.5-2 Million(not the rumored 3+ that I see). I could see UW cherry picking an assistant to save $, but picking who would leave in the assistant world is much harder to gauge. So I'll stick to current HC's.

Unicorns

Gregg Marshall - Zero % chance this happens. He is making around $3-3.5M in Wichita. To even sniff that amount at UW he'd need closer to 5 a year. Not to mention his teams have made deep runs into the NCAA. What is the incentive to move? There isn't one. Move on

Archie Miller - Paid around $700k but in Dayton and can't see any reason he would consider UW. There will be plenty of Midwest/East Coast teams that will need a coach and the only appeal I can see is battling his brother. Outside of that, moving to seattle for around the same pay(with cost of living) seems quite unlikely.

More likely

Eric Musselman - A longstanding NBA guy who went to college and has had a lot of success at Nevada. He's a west coast guy, has shown he can win and UW would be an obvious promotion. Negative is if he wants to stay in college after being a long time NBA coach.

Leon Rice - Continues to do well at Boise State with much less talent than would happen at UW. It would be a raise, as well as a promotion to go to the pac12. He's a NW guy who looks to be a long standing college coach. Obviously it would be odd to have multiple Boise state coaches, but the first one is working out.

Russell Turner - UC Irvine isn't exactly the most dominate ever, but he has shown a decent amount of promise and likely would be gone other than family connect to UC Irvine. UW can offer the medical facilities to entice his wife.

David Richman - Long standing at NDSU. Not exactly a sexy hire, but an obvious promotion for him and has shown promise in his limited time as a head coach.

Cam Dollar - Lazy hire, yes. But if you're looking for someone who is ingrained locally with player and coaches he is a consideration(not a good reason or hire). Seattle U hasn't exactly ripped the doors off the world in his tenure in the WAC. No idea why anyone would think he would excel at the next level.

Paul Weir - Only one year at NMSU, however it's an obvious upgrade from his current position. He doesn't have a lot of seasoning and it's a gamble but could come on the cheap compared to others.

Someone internal - This is hands down fucking insanity, but a reality. Coach Chil has been heralded for his recruiting. I have no idea what that means to actual coaching b/c he's been apart of the last 6 years. It also should be noted that outside of the diamonds that UW has been able to land, 80% of the roster shouldn't be playing major minutes in pac12 basketball so his recruiting can't be that great. The rest of the staff has no business being given the keys to this program yet.

I fear there will be some sort of more to placate the next recruiting class vs looking to the next 5+ years. If romar is the guy all the doogs say, then he would talk to incoming guys and tell them to stick with UW. If they don't, so be it. I'd like to see Leon or Musselman with a real toss up to both. Leon has more long standing success at a program not exactly known for dominance. While musselman has NBA credibility that so many Doogs absolutely love to glam onto. Musselman is also a very good defensive coach and more of a complete rebuke of the lazy era we've become used to. I'd love to see whomever is hired keep Will and possibly bring on B-roy as the last assistant. Both can work their way up rather than the bullshit Doog fans are saying about handing over the program to a High School coach.

Gun to the head i'd take musselman all reality considered and hope he's more like Larry K and wants to be in college now.

Who you all got on the list as far as options?

Comments

• Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Jesus Christ - you put Cameron Dollar on that list? Are you fucking kidding?

Just hire Jerome Collins if you want to do stupid shit.

At least you admit it's a lazy hire.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Unfuckingbelievably dumb list. Sorry.
  • Options
    RomarFuckedJenCRomarFuckedJenC Member Posts: 117
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I think this job is more desirable than you are giving credit for. Look at the number of high profiled basketball players that come out of the northwest. At this point I would take almost anyone than romar but to act like certain coaches wouldn't have interest from other schools makes zero sense. If they truly don't have interests fine but the reason listed don't make sense other than Marshall making 3.1 mill. Also in your salary doesn't include bonuses and other pay from deals with whoever there associated with like Nike or adidas. This is pretty major for some coaches.

Romar ranks about 30th without other pay and bonuses a new coach would probably get paid in the top 20 so Archie would get a significant pay raise that would not balance out with cost of living.

Few is pretty rare but he has a winning program in spokane which is a shithole(I live here) with terrible local basketball talent. Any quality coach can go to uw with the resources and be very successful.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,583
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think this job is more desirable than you are giving credit for. Look at the number of high profiled basketball players that come out of the northwest. At this point I would take almost anyone than romar but to act like certain coaches wouldn't have interest from other schools makes zero sense. If they truly don't have interests fine but the reason listed don't make sense other than Marshall making 3.1 mill. Also in your salary doesn't include bonuses and other pay from deals with whoever there associated with like Nike or adidas. This is pretty major for some coaches.

Romar ranks about 30th without other pay and bonuses a new coach would probably get paid in the top 20 so Archie would get a significant pay raise that would not balance out with cost of living.

Few is pretty rare but he has a winning program in spokane which is a shithole(I live here) with terrible local basketball talent. Any quality coach can go to uw with the resources and be very successful.

It's not terrible, but we are a football school. UW football has an incredible stadium, a supporting fan base, and tradition. There was luck involved with Petersen too. He was looking to leave Boise State and has lived on the West Coast his entire life.

The basketball program has none of those things. The local talent and money (if they even can/will pay top dollar) is all UW has to offer.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You have to include Randy Bennett in the list of guys you have to talk to at least to see if he is ready to make the jump ... he's really the most comparable coach on the West Coast to Pete's situation
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Gladstone said:

Still laughing at Cameron Dollar. Doogliest of doogman posts. Christ.

Sounds like a perfect fit
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    Gladstone said:

Unfuckingbelievably dumb list. Sorry.

Who's yours? Who's possibly coming to UW? It's obviously a sarcastic bored, but who is running to this program yoda? Love to see it
  • Options
    RomarFuckedJenCRomarFuckedJenC Member Posts: 117
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

I understand it's difficult to read. especially when i go @Tequilla long, but christ. Dollar would be a TERRIBLE hire based on track record. Bigly terrible! That being said, to deny that tits won't consider him is insane. He's a UW guy who's been in the area and has college experience and will coach for cheap. All of the requirements many people believe will happen. My list is based on possible hires, not what the i dream of Jeanie list looks like.

I don't want 90% of the list i wrote, but it's a much more realistic view of who is available and may actually sign up for the job. UW isn't paying almost 2M for romar for 2 more years plus paying 3-4 million a year. It isn't happening. So the 1-2 million range is realistic.

My picks of realistic coaches are rice and musselman. Yes there could be a dark horse but that's why they are a dark horse. Bennett is also a great option and I should have included him in the possible list. I'd still take rice or musselman over him, but still should be there.

As @RoadDawg55 put it, we? are a football school, so yes this job is not going to be an obvious jump to greatness. Romar for all his faults has brought a few top guys in and it's not based on program trajectory(ask markelle).

That's great we are a football school but that doesnt really matter. The talent that comes out of the Seattle area is ridiculous. It would not be that tough to turn this program around and contend for the Pac 12. Especially with how much turnover college basketball has in general.

Win and the place is full lose for 6 seasons and no one cares. Pretty simple.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I understand it's difficult to read. especially when i go @Tequilla long, but christ. Dollar would be a TERRIBLE hire based on track record. Bigly terrible! That being said, to deny that tits won't consider him is insane. He's a UW guy who's been in the area and has college experience and will coach for cheap. All of the requirements many people believe will happen. My list is based on possible hires, not what the i dream of Jeanie list looks like.

I don't want 90% of the list i wrote, but it's a much more realistic view of who is available and may actually sign up for the job. UW isn't paying almost 2M for romar for 2 more years plus paying 3-4 million a year. It isn't happening. So the 1-2 million range is realistic.

My picks of realistic coaches are rice and musselman. Yes there could be a dark horse but that's why they are a dark horse. Bennett is also a great option and I should have included him in the possible list. I'd still take rice or musselman over him, but still should be there.

As @RoadDawg55 put it, we? are a football school, so yes this job is not going to be an obvious jump to greatness. Romar for all his faults has brought a few top guys in and it's not based on program trajectory(ask markelle).

That's great we are a football school but that doesnt really matter. The talent that comes out of the Seattle area is ridiculous. It would not be that tough to turn this program around and contend for the Pac 12. Especially with how much turnover college basketball has in general.

Win and the place is full lose for 6 seasons and no one cares. Pretty simple.
    The Seattle talent is highly overrated. The only 5 star recruit Seattle has put out in years is Porter and he only moved here for his senior year because Romar hired his dad. The Seattle talent base is solid but it got this amazing rep because there were about 5 years where it put out ridiculous talent, which happened to coincide with the years where UW football sucked and hoops was bearable so people gave a shit. But the talent hasn't been "ridiculous" for quite some time.

The only legit 5 star recruit the state has produced since Wroten is Zach Levine, and he was a like a low 20's guy nationally. The last top 10 national recruit the state produced was Abdul Gaddy. The last top 10 national recruit the state produced that was actually worth a damn was Spencer Hawes.

Spencer Hawes is in his 10th season in the NBA.

Seattle area talent is good. But it's not enough of itself to draw a good coach. It's going to take a commitment to hoops and a shit ton of money. Smart money says we'll be hiring someone who sucks.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,757