Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So Browning is a sophomore

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whlinder said:

Q for the bored.

I remember Carson Palmer being absolute shit for 3 years and then exploding as a senior. What changed with him and why can't Brownsocks do the same?

Ever heard of Pete Carroll?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2017

whlinder said:

Q for the bored.

I remember Carson Palmer being absolute shit for 3 years and then exploding as a senior. What changed with him and why can't Brownsocks do the same?

I don't think Pete Caroll's players are hearing him anymore
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Serious question: wtf is wrong with hiring Beau Baldwin as qb coach?
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    whlinder said:

Q for the bored.

Unless Brownsocks suddenly sprouts to 6'5 and can spin the ball like Carson it ain't happening.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

TTJ said:

With this staff, assuming *any* second-year player won't continue to improve is FS. Especially a guy who works as hard as Browning.

Browning wasn't great in the Peach Bowl, obviously. He made one clearly disastrous decision, and missed on plenty of other throws. But after all the Brownsockery in November, I really feared he'd come out looking like a deer in headlights against Bammer. He didn't. The moment wasn't too big for him. He was merely imperfect.

Browning is never gonna be Vince Young. But he's a pretty deadly weapon already, and he's only been on campus two years. Also, he will never face another college D as dominant as that one -- not even when UW rematches with Bammer next year.

If the problem were his skill, then I would agree.

The problem is he is one of the biggest chokers I've ever seen and he's done it literally since his first game here.

The problem is mental.
    And here's the shitter about it. All through spring ball, fall camp, and the regular season next year he's going to have to hear about how he has played against legit defenses, plus I don't see a "big game" for him to exercise that demon until SC in the Pac-12 Champ. Game where it very well could be winner to the playoffs loser to a bowl game other than the Rose as they get one of the semi-finals.

• Options
    KevininTacomaKevininTacoma Member Posts: 122
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    He'll get his confurdence back playing Rutgers, Montana and Fresno st
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Doogles said:

The play call was fucking horrible, but I'm not against trying to get 3 there with Bama getting the ball after half. They were swollowing our receiver screens all day.

Browning didn't light the world on fire, but people act like arguably the best D in college football history wasn't shit shoving the OL with 4 rushers and blanketing our playmakers.

We needed to be perfect and we weren't.

Kill Smith. This team can win a championship with Browning. Just not this year against Sabans best team.

it wasn't a wide reciever screen.
    I don't even think it was a called swing pass, just a really bad ill-advised check down
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

The play call was fucking horrible, but I'm not against trying to get 3 there with Bama getting the ball after half. They were swollowing our receiver screens all day.

Browning didn't light the world on fire, but people act like arguably the best D in college football history wasn't shit shoving the OL with 4 rushers and blanketing our playmakers.

Kill Smith. This team can win a championship with Browning. Just not this year against Sabans best team.

I don't even think it was a called swing pass, just a really bad ill-advised check down
    No. It was a designed swing pass to #22. It speaks horribly to our experience and OC. On experience, McGary doesn't look inside on a classic zone blitz. His DE takes a step forward and fades to cover the RB. The blitz comes to his inside gap and he doesn't look there. Straight shot at QB.

It's awful coaching because Bama knew that play based upon our playing calling in that situation throughout the year. They schemed to it. It was obvious. A good counter would've been to fake the short field swing pass and lay it out to the wide side to Gaskin with 10yds in front.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2017
    While Browning is a great QB against bad and mid level College teams, He doesn't have the tools for the show. With that said, He doesn't have to be all that good for you guys to win 10-12 games in the next couple of seasons. However once you get to the playoff or other NY6 games, his warts are and will continue to be visible.
  • Options

He improved a ton this year over last year. He still has lots of room to improve. Hopefully he can make that similar jump next year and perform well against the good defenses we face.

Sometimes with how critical this board is of everything it seems like it gets forgotten he was a true sophomore. I think it's because we are scarred from the Sark years, and think a player wont improve and will infact get worse the longer he stays
    BUT HES ONLY A SOPHOMORE!!!!!!
  • Options

njla said:

I wasn't one thinking we should sit on it at the end of the half. We got there; now try to fucking win. Can't win playing scared. Glad most here aren't coaching this team. Wouldn't win shit with that scared mentality.

They tried; they failed. Now come back again next year and try again.

So... your logic is as follows:

A strategy that PROVED to be the worst possible strategy and contributed heavily to the loss is better than a more conservative strategy that wouldn't have contributed to the loss, because conservative strategies are bad. And you are smart because you know this.

Forget the avatar, just fucking kill yourself.
    You be conservative at the end of the half within 3 pts. What you don't do is be Conservative when down 17-7 in the 4th quarter and punt on 4th and 2 near the 50 yard line. Peterson more or less threw the white flag there whether he realized it or not.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    godawgst said:

TTJ said:

With this staff, assuming *any* second-year player won't continue to improve is FS. Especially a guy who works as hard as Browning.

Browning wasn't great in the Peach Bowl, obviously. He made one clearly disastrous decision, and missed on plenty of other throws. But after all the Brownsockery in November, I really feared he'd come out looking like a deer in headlights against Bammer. He didn't. The moment wasn't too big for him. He was merely imperfect.

Browning is never gonna be Vince Young. But he's a pretty deadly weapon already, and he's only been on campus two years. Also, he will never face another college D as dominant as that one -- not even when UW rematches with Bammer next year.

If the problem were his skill, then I would agree.

The problem is he is one of the biggest chokers I've ever seen and he's done it literally since his first game here.

The problem is mental.
    And here's the shitter about it. All through spring ball, fall camp, and the regular season next year he's going to have to hear about how he has played against legit defenses, plus I don't see a "big game" for him to exercise that demon until SC in the Pac-12 Champ. Game where it very well could be winner to the playoffs loser to a bowl game other than the Rose as they get one of the semi-finals.

Which is dumb because Stanford, Oregon, and Utah were all big games when they were played. Browning has a toughness, if you watch him stiff arm the Bama lineman. He'll perform next year. It more has to do with Smith not finding the right game plan for his skills. It's Smith's job to make Browning succeed.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    doogie said:

Serious question, when you have you ever seen a successful FCS head coach leave for a fucking position coach job?
  • Options

whlinder said:

Q for the bored.

Pete Carroll, the defensive coach who doesn't even touch the QB position? Sark was Palmer's QB coach at USC.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2017
    doogie said:

His offenses look great in a conference that plays no defense. And he once lucked out with VAJ, But beating the Cuogs in September doesn't take much, nor does beating OSU, or scoring 50 against Nick Holt's porous UW defense.

He would likely top out around Smiff's Mountain West level in the Pac12.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited January 2017

doogie said:

Serious question, when you have you ever seen a successful FCS head coach leave for a fucking position coach job?
    Chip Kelly, Oregon Ducks. (Fucked that up)

Moorhead, Penn State(Fordham hc to OC/Qb)

pay me bitch
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,300
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Carroll's first year at USC was Palmer's junior year. And he sucked.

Palmer was 6'5" with a strong arm his first 4 years (including an injury redshirt). He sucked.

Seriously, going in to his senior year, he had thrown the same number of TDs as INTs in his USC career. And then he lit it up.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    salemcoog said:

While Browning is a great QB against bad and mid level College teams, He doesn't have the tools for the show. With that said, He doesn't have to be all that good for you guys to win 10-12 games in the next couple of seasons. However once you get to the playoff or other NY6 games, his warts are and will continue to be visible.

I'm going to just go ahead and disregard anything you say because you're a well-documented dumbfuck.

Browning is going to get better because he has coaches that will make him better. It's rare to find a soph QB that can win at the peak level of college football, and Jake isn't like Billy Joe.

Still, I think the chances of you having any fucking idea where Browning will be a year from now is pretty close to zero.

So fuck off.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,608
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    AEB said:

dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

No. It was a designed swing pass to #22. It speaks horribly to our experience and OC. On experience, McGary doesn't look inside on a classic zone blitz. His DE takes a step forward and fades to cover the RB. The blitz comes to his inside gap and he doesn't look there. Straight shot at QB.

It's awful coaching because Bama knew that play based upon our playing calling in that situation throughout the year. They schemed to it. It was obvious. A good counter would've been to fake the short field swing pass and lay it out to the wide side to Gaskin with 10yds in front.
    Great teachable moments.
  • Options
    doogie said:

doogie said:

Chip Kelly, Oregon Ducks. (Fucked that up)

Moorhead, Penn State(Fordham hc to OC/Qb)

pay me bitch
    What the fuck are you talking about? Kelly left as New Hampshire's OC to become Oregon's OC. And I said position coach, not coordinator. Leaving as an FCS HC to become an FBS coordinator is not unheard of. To become an FBS position coach is.