Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bad news on Miami Commit DJ Johnson

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This kid is all Miami still on his twitter. If he doesn't end up going there that is going to be pretty embarrassing.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I like my Johnson. I just wanted to share that.
  • Options
    ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Interesting debate re: Ngata vs DJ and more generally potential vs skills

Keeping in mind I don't know jack shit about either player or TBS'ing, it sounds like Ngata is more technically sound but a lesser athlete, while DJ is a freak athlete with raw technique.

On one hand, most D1, power 5 athletes are somewhat of a freak athlete. You will get washed out if you solely rely on athleticism that allowed you to dominate high school ball. Combine that elite athleticism with good coaching and technical development and you have a stud. I think the defensive staff in particular has proven they can do this.

On the other hand, you wonder how much better a guy like Ngata who already has these technical skills can get. Obviously being in the S&C program for a few years as well as honing the skills he already has will make him a better player, but how close is he to his ceiling?

I don't think there's a concrete answer on which is better. It would be interesting to hear a coach's take on how they value and project players regarding this.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

This kid is all Miami still on his twitter. If he doesn't end up going there that is going to be pretty embarrassing.

It all seems forced and over the top though.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Keeping in mind I don't know jack shit about either player or TBS'ing, it sounds like Ngata is more technically sound but a lesser athlete, while DJ is a freak athlete with raw technique.

On one hand, most D1, power 5 athletes are somewhat of a freak athlete. You will get washed out if you solely rely on athleticism that allowed you to dominate high school ball. Combine that elite athleticism with good coaching and technical development and you have a stud. I think the defensive staff in particular has proven they can do this.

On the other hand, you wonder how much better a guy like Ngata who already has these technical skills can get. Obviously being in the S&C program for a few years as well as honing the skills he already has will make him a better player, but how close is he to his ceiling?

I don't think there's a concrete answer on which is better. It would be interesting to hear a coach's take on how they value and project players regarding this.

Jesus fucking Christ
    How can you even begin to attempt to say a player has reached his ceiling? Did you have any athletic ability in high school? Where you better as a 21 year old? I love posters who think this shit happens in a vacuum. I think Pete and his staff have demonstrated a decent ability in developing players
  • Options
    ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Jesus fucking Christ
    How can you even begin to attempt to say a player has reached his ceiling? Did you have any athletic ability in high school? Where you better as a 21 year old? I love posters who think this shit happens in a vacuum. I think Pete and his staff have demonstrated a decent ability in developing players
    You missed the point entirely, and I never said anyone has reached their ceiling. It was a general question about which type of player translates better to the next level. Christ.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jesus fucking Christ
    Reaching. Guys do reach their ceilings at different times. Some guys are late bloomer's, some are physically maxed out by 18-19. See Sione Potoe'a.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Jesus fucking Christ
    Reaching. Guys do reach their ceilings at different times. Some guys are late bloomer's, some are physically maxed out by 18-19. See Sione Potoe'a.

Who did Sione play under again? What was his track record of players that actually improved?
    You have seen Pete develop player after player. So I'm calling bullshit. Sione may have been a beast with the proper coach and training.