Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bad news on Miami Commit DJ Johnson

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:

I'm fully expecting him to go back to being all pro-UW after the coaches visit this week, which will last about a week and a half before he goes back to pretending he's already at the U.

I'm actually surprised that Petersen has the patience for this shit
    Assistant coaches if I had to guess are not telling him all the details of the bs on twitter just yet.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I want this kid too, but after watching Ngata's film I'm not too worried about it.

The more the merrier, but Ngata looked better to me.

I like ngata but that dj kid is a fair bit beastier imo.
  • Options
    animate said:

I want this kid too, but after watching Ngata's film I'm not too worried about it.

I agree with roaddawg but they are a little different type. Dj is more of a 3 point stance guy. He is gonna be huge and ngata is a hybrid if I were guessing the roles they would grow into.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2016

animate said:

Ngata is a better player. I hope they both go to UW so we can see. The dreads, being 6'5", the attitude, etc have you fooled. Johnson doesn't play the run like Ngata does. Ngata is just as quick, but he has better instincts. Johnson has better size. Maybe better top end speed. That's it.

Johnson has talent and skills to build upon but his pad level is horrible. You're out of your mind if you think he's making an early impact. A lot of his highlights are either a) blowing by some bummy OT that has cement feet or b) playing patty cake before using his speed to chase down a ball carrier outside.

Ngata is making plays between the tackles that Johnson won't. The better player is Ngata. Ngata makes a much wider variety of plays than Johnson. It's not wdwha. This coaching staff will make Johnson good. Ngata is simply a better and more adavanced player at this stage and Ngata also has all the physical tools. Screenshot this and you can tell me how FS I am in two years.
    I like Johnson better, but you're probably the best TBS'er on this site. You called Banner sucking, Chris Warren sucking and at least one other high profile bust that I can't remember right now, plus Gasking begin awesome. Small sample but I can literally never remember you being wrong.

So since I pointed it out now Ngata will probably suck and Johnson will be amazing.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

animate said:

Ngata is a better player. I hope they both go to UW so we can see. The dreads, being 6'5", the attitude, etc have you fooled. Johnson doesn't play the run like Ngata does. Ngata is just as quick, but he has better instincts. Johnson has better size. Maybe better top end speed. That's it.

Johnson has talent and skills to build upon but his pad level is horrible. You're out of your mind if you think he's making an early impact. A lot of his highlights are either a) blowing by some bummy OT that has cement feet or b) playing patty cake before using his speed to chase down a ball carrier outside.

Ngata is making plays between the tackles that Johnson won't. The better player is Ngata. Ngata makes a much wider variety of plays than Johnson. It's not wdwha. This coaching staff will make Johnson good. Ngata is simply a better and more adavanced player at this stage and Ngata also has all the physical tools. Screenshot this and you can tell me how FS I am in two years.
    I like #myroaddawg in this one
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Ngata has the cooler name so i'm in.

Anyone can have a johnson, but only a few can have a Ngata.

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Ngata has the cooler name so i'm in.

Anyone can have a johnson, but only a few can have a Ngata.

Literally half the world have Johnson's.
    sorry
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

animate said:

I like Johnson better, but you're probably the best TBS'er on this site. You called Banner sucking, Chris Warren sucking and at least one other high profile bust that I can't remember right now, plus Gasking begin awesome. Small sample but I can literally never remember you being wrong.

So since I pointed it out now Ngata will probably suck and Johnson will be amazing.
    Banner ended up pretty good. First team All PAC this year. Warren has had moments too, but was behind a good RB. He got hurt this year. He could turn out. If he gets the carries, he will put up big numbers in the Big 12 against those defenses. I just liked Gaskin better. Coke and Dennis did too.

The hard part is guessing what a player will be like 3-4 years from now or once a good coaching staff gets their hands on them. Johnson could end up very, very good. There is a lot to work with.

It's hard only watching a highlight tape too. From what I saw, Johnson just does what he wants and chases the ball. Ngata is coached up, reading lineman, timing his stunts, etc. I really like Ngata.
  • Options
    I like johnson for this simple reason:

His ceiling is higher, imo.

No disrespect to ngata, looking forward to him coming in this class.

But you can't teach Johnson's athleticism and talent at six foot five and ~ 240ish.

A couple of years in the uw program and you've got six five and 270ish of freakish talent and destruction.

"Better player" right now? Sure, I can accept that. But I don't care because he's been recruited for college ball.

Low pad level? Can be taught.
    License to freelance at the high school level? Sure, are you guys surprised? Is that somehow a negative? Not a big deal. If Petersen thinks he can mold the young man I'm inclined to believe it.

Discipline and techniques can be taught and we all know that this coaching staff can do it. Making decent prospects into decent college football players. How about take a rare talent and see how far you can go? That's exciting. That's johnson.

In year three it's starting to come together. Now, another 2-3 years of top classes and we'll see if we can match up with Alabama, because that's where they are right now.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Johnson = 5-tech/BUCK
    Ngata = BUCK/SAM

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

animate said:

HURTFUL! DNC I thought we had something. I called all those guys too! I see what I am to you now.
    I just remember the times you were wrong!

Just kidding, I remember you being right on plenty but wrong on quite a few too. I remember being pissed at Roadie over his Banner and Warren evals and thinking he was an idiot for thinking he was smarter than all those coaches, but he was pretty spot on. I don't ever remember being pissed at any of your TBS'ing.
  • Options

animate said:

I like johnson for this simple reason:

His ceiling is higher, imo.

No disrespect to ngata, looking forward to him coming in this class.

But you can't teach Johnson's athleticism and talent at six foot five and ~ 240ish.

A couple of years in the uw program and you've got six five and 270ish of freakish talent and destruction.

"Better player" right now? Sure, I can accept that. But I don't care because he's been recruited for college ball.

Low pad level? Can be taught.
    License to freelance at the high school level? Sure, are you guys surprised? Is that somehow a negative? Not a big deal. If Petersen thinks he can mold the young man I'm inclined to believe it.

Discipline and techniques can be taught and we all know that this coaching staff can do it. Making decent prospects into decent college football players. How about take a rare talent and see how far you can go? That's exciting. That's johnson.

In year three it's starting to come together. Now, another 2-3 years of top classes and we'll see if we can match up with Alabama, because that's where they are right now.

I don't disagree with you at all. I can definitely agree that Johnson has a higher ceiling.

What I love about Ngata is you can tell he is a really smart football player and it's not like he doesn't have the physical talent to be a high end player. His coaches move him all over and he makes plays.
    Sure, but just curious, does watching Johnson's highlight video suggest "not as smart football player"?

I think that sometimes when a player has such an multitudes of advantages that they make it look too easy such as johnson. If a player perhaps has less natural advantages they have to have more tools in their toolbag to compensate.

I'm going to watch both videos again just for fun. I'm just saying that Johnson's video had more wow factor than ngatas. And I'm not saying I'm being swayed by the 2 live crew quality of Johnson's game.

We need more dreads on this team.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Eklund says little to no chance he signs with Miami.
    Doomed
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dhdawg said:

Doomed

I wonder if the Doogmen identify kids that are drama queens, then play their subscribers all the way to signing day?

"Crazy chat. Insider info. Stay tuned. Pay more"

Then 99% never pan out and it's "Things change in recruiting"
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    TommySQC said:

dhdawg said:

Doomed

I wonder if the Doogmen identify kids that are drama queens, then play their subscribers all the way to signing day?

"Crazy chat. Insider info. Stay tuned. Pay more"

Then 99% never pan out and it's "Things change in recruiting"
    Actually a "great" (effective) business model in that
    there are lots of idiots out there who live
    on hope. Throw them a morsel once in a while to
    keep their hope up and money coming in.
    Absolutely nothing proprietary or informative
    about their product as you and I could act
    as carnies just like them. An absolute shell
    game.