Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Per Jude...CP negotiating 10 year deal

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Texas, LSU and Oregon, possibly Tennessee and potentially other suitors would have been insane not to throw everything they had at Pete.

Also, we have assistant coaches who are cream of the crop (cough::JimmyLake::cough) who we will want to keep.

This isn't negotiating against yourself. This is heading off bidding wars and rumors that can drive Pete's price up and fuck up recruiting. It's good for everyone.

I understand 10 years seems like a long time, but this a pretty safe bet.

Don't act like Texas, LSU and Phil Knight wouldn't back up a Brinks truck to get Pete right now.

He was going to get a raise at the end of the year, UW always takes care of it's coaches. A 10 year contract is ridiculous. He does not want to leave. He had way more money on the table for years when he was at Boise State when major conferences would come around. Even a 6 or 7 year extension would have been sufficient. This is just stupid. Obviously we like him but why promise more than is necessary?

I would bet he is way more concerned about his budget for assistant coaches vs this bs 10 year extension.

You don't get it. At all.

Year 3, we are 9-0.
    Does he still get the contract if we don't win the conference this year?

When he has a good year, give him a raise/extension, no argument. 10 years is unnecessary. Why not make it 12?
  • Options
    BabsGilbyTawdTyBabsGilbyTawdTy Member Posts: 1,058
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

Hopefully he cares about winning enough to not have to be motivated by money.

How many higher paying jobs did Pete turn down to stay 8 seasons and win 88 percent of his games at Boise State?
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,867
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Hopefully he cares about winning enough to not have to be motivated by money.

How many higher paying jobs did Pete turn down to stay 8 seasons and win 88 percent of his games at Boise State?
    People can change. But who said I wasn't hopeful? I believe he is a guy that is obsessed with winning, and that we'll be happy with him being our coach for a long time
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Everyone in the country that doesn't already have a stable coach wants Petersen. I say pay the man.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

Petersen is exactly where he was supposed to be at this point if he was THE guy. This is year 3. Sure, there could be some complete meltdown but that seems less likely to me than we win the natty. I don't think we win likely national champions (although I think we're good enough to get lucky and pull it off) but I sure don't think we're losing the rest of our games. Petersen is the guy. And everyone knows it.

Saban
    Meyer
    Harbaugh

Petersen is as good as anyone who isn't one of those three. Sure you can maybe add Jimbo Fisher to that list soon but Petersen is effectively an elite coach. He will be in high demand and compared to those other guys he is cheap, cheap cheap. It is a guarantee Oregon has reached out to him at this point and we're a long ways off from matching Uncle Phil's $10M/year. We have to do something soon, and if we don't do much now we'll be doing more later. Future dollars will be more as already noted in this thread. Just make his leaving us buyout higher now, make sure there are performance-based buyouts in our favor and get him locked in.

We are not doing better than Petersen right now.

Fisher is good. Dabo is good (though it's hard to really understand how or why). Bob Stoops is good, I guess. Who else is there? Petrino? Sure.

Chip Kelly will have interest... but who else is there who would be viewed as a "sure thing" like Pete?

Pete slayed at Boise and within 3 years has us to a place we haven't been in 25 years.

If people think he is available there are like 7 programs who have coaches that would feel like he isn't an upgrade and the rest probably would.

The other coaches in the top 25 are as follows:
    Paul Chryst
    Gus Malzahn
    Kevin Sumlin
    Dana Holgerson
    James Franklin
    Kyle Whittingham
    PJ Fleck
    Mike McIntyre
    Justin Fuente
    Mike Gundy
    Mike Riley
    Mike Leach
    Jim McElwain
    Bryan Harsin
    Jim Grobe

Who would you trade for Pete?

On this bored we talk about Saban and Meyer. Harbaugh has some love, but even he isn't good enough for people here (even though people love Chip, weird). It's nuts.

Pete is a top 5 coach. We can be a top 5 program with him at the helm.

If you know someone not named Saban or Meyer you'd rather have, please let me know...
    When I said Jimbo Fisher I actually meant Dabo Swinney. Pete is definitely better than Fisher although he is clearly no slouch. Clearly you look at that list though and we have one of those dream coaches that you always fantasize about when you're looking for a new one. Most of those names are the ones where you sort think it couldn't get worse and maybe that person could be better here with our iron laws or some crap...
    "Definitely better" is a stretch, Jimbo has won a national championship.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Whatever he's paid in modern dollars will seem silly in 10 years. Harbaugh gonna be making 30 mil at Texas by then.

Dallas, right?
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Coaching stability is very important for future success.

@GasMan, true?

He's been arguing that since Tyrone.
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    TommySQC said:

Coaching stability is very important for future success.

@GasMan, true?

He's been arguing that since Tyrone.
    Tyrone wasn't a real coach
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

We have no idea if Peterman can win without Sark's players

The whipped fan in me has wondered this.