Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kaleb McGary

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
edited October 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
I remember a bum DE from Cal scorching him almost every pass attempt. The white DE had multiple sacks and pressures last year. However, he was moving guys in the run game which was a nice change from typical UW tackles like Riva and Hatchie who played patty cake.

Anyways, I read a tweet today from some doog that McGary hasn't allowed a sack all season. Browning is rarely pressured and is skilled at making one guy miss when there is pressure. I remember an incomplete pass against Stanford where Browning had all day to throw. I hadn't seen that happen in years.

The development of the OL and especially McGary has been staggering. I know it's a beaten horse, but fuck you Dennis and anyone else... Strausser is doing a great job with the OL.

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tequilla said:

Nobody is questioning Strausser the coach ... Strausser the recruiter though ...

No point to get in it again, but 1)LIPO and 2) the OL is fine. This isn't some Kim doogman shit. We have never had a good OL and now we have the best OL in the conference.
    Serious question, which assistant is doing the worst job?

Maybe Paopao? It's hard to blame him for the lack of production in the passing game though because it hasn't been needed. The TE's are all good blockers too.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Tequilla said:

Nobody is questioning Strausser the coach ... Strausser the recruiter though ...

No point to get in it again, but 1)LIPO and 2) the OL is fine. This isn't some Kim doogman shit. We have never had a good OL and now we have the best OL in the conference.
    "I'm not a selfish player" poast of the week.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    No, recruiting actually matters ... the current state of OL recruiting is concerning ... it's the one area where the recruiting doesn't match what we see elsewhere

I will give you a bone in that we do need to LIPO to Signing Day and see what happens ... but rest assured of this OL recruiting class is piss poor the TSIO Recruiting Podcast spectacular for Signing Day will be all over Strausser's ass

Tequilla said:

I must have missed when we had the best OL in the conference and were starting a true freshman like Brostek on the OL with Atoe and Criste.

But you're right... it's the same thing.

Tequilla said:

No, recruiting actually matters ... the current state of OL recruiting is concerning ... it's the one area where the recruiting doesn't match what we see elsewhere

I will give you a bone in that we do need to LIPO to Signing Day and see what happens ... but rest assured of this OL recruiting class is piss poor the TSIO Recruiting Podcast spectacular for Signing Day will be all over Strausser's ass

That'll help.
    YOUR* IMPLYING IT WOULDN'T!?!
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971

and now we have the best OL in the conference.

Longest dick among the eunuchs.
    Saggiest balls* FTFY

Tequilla said:

I must have missed when we had the best OL in the conference and were starting a true freshman like Brostek on the OL with Atoe and Criste.

But you're right... it's the same thing.
    Roadie, calm down.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

OL is the one area where I have always thought production correlates least to recruiting rankings. Very few linemen are ready to start as true frosh, most of them need development and weight room and nutrition (yes I know that's true for every position but I've always thought it more about OL than anywhere else).

If we're going to have an area where recruiting struggles but coaching excels OL would be the one I would pick.

Given Strausser's track record and the results we're seeing now, I'm fine with him staying. I'd bet anything recruiting OL's picks up based on the success of the program and his OL anyway. Whoever the sophomore/junior Foster Sarrell's are right now are going to be much more open to UW. That will help every position of course, but I'd bet anything the combination of development/ability to spot talent/program success is going to make the OL excellent going forward.

There's not really a position I'm concerned about long term other than QB post Browning. And there's plenty of time to address that.

Anyone at all concerned about LB post Bierra and Victor? When the JV squad is on there seems to be a pretty big drop off. Don't we have some stud LB red shirting though? I drink too much to remember all this shit.
    Fuck it you're right, I am pretty concerned about LB. There's nobody that inspires confidence behind Bierria and Victor right now. I think we'll be okay next year with Bierria likely holding it down (and Victor likely in the league), but after that it's scary. Thankfully I like the talent they redshirted this year. The way those two developed makes me think somebody will step up, but I agree we haven't seen anyone do anything that inspires confidence yet.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    @dnc I don't really disagree with you on your points about OL being the position where development matters, you normally are waiting 2-3 seasons before they enter the rotation, etc.

That being said, when you have guys like Adams and McGary showing what they've shown earlier in their career, there is something to be said to getting a high end prospect, then coaching them up, and then look at what you have. And that's really the point that I would make and part of the reason why the TSIO podcast crew really can go off on our OL recruiting from time to time because when you're working predominately with projects, there's always the risk that they don't pan out ... but if you get the guys that already have the tools, now it's a matter of polishing them into huge gems

Another way to look at it is that if you're constantly taking guys that you have to develop and are backup plan guys and/or projects, you're taking the OL approach similar to what the Seahawks do. The Hawks do that because of the salary cap and they are confident in Cable being able to do a job to get them competent and their trust in Wilson to get out of bad spots (which he was unable to do this year) ... do you think that the Hawks would take that approach if they didn't have to worry about the salary cap and instead could just go after and "recruit" the best players possible?

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

@dnc I don't really disagree with you on your points about OL being the position where development matters, you normally are waiting 2-3 seasons before they enter the rotation, etc.

That being said, when you have guys like Adams and McGary showing what they've shown earlier in their career, there is something to be said to getting a high end prospect, then coaching them up, and then look at what you have. And that's really the point that I would make and part of the reason why the TSIO podcast crew really can go off on our OL recruiting from time to time because when you're working predominately with projects, there's always the risk that they don't pan out ... but if you get the guys that already have the tools, now it's a matter of polishing them into huge gems

Another way to look at it is that if you're constantly taking guys that you have to develop and are backup plan guys and/or projects, you're taking the OL approach similar to what the Seahawks do. The Hawks do that because of the salary cap and they are confident in Cable being able to do a job to get them competent and their trust in Wilson to get out of bad spots (which he was unable to do this year) ... do you think that the Hawks would take that approach if they didn't have to worry about the salary cap and instead could just go after and "recruit" the best players possible?

Of course the Seahawks wouldn't take that approach.

It's not the same thing though. A. Strausser has proven the ability to take shit and make something awesome out of it. Cable for all his rep has not. B. I believe Strausser's going to be getting better talent going forward thanks to the progress of the program.

Obviously I'd rather have better talent than worse.

Was McGary really a high end OL prospect though? I remember people being excited about him but I don't remember thinking he was highly recruited like Adams, let alone Sorrell. I have no doubts Strausser can get kids like McGary.