Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kaleb McGary

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

OL is the one area where I have always thought production correlates least to recruiting rankings. Very few linemen are ready to start as true frosh, most of them need development and weight room and nutrition (yes I know that's true for every position but I've always thought it more about OL than anywhere else).

If we're going to have an area where recruiting struggles but coaching excels OL would be the one I would pick.

Given Strausser's track record and the results we're seeing now, I'm fine with him staying. I'd bet anything recruiting OL's picks up based on the success of the program and his OL anyway. Whoever the sophomore/junior Foster Sarrell's are right now are going to be much more open to UW. That will help every position of course, but I'd bet anything the combination of development/ability to spot talent/program success is going to make the OL excellent going forward.

There's not really a position I'm concerned about long term other than QB post Browning. And there's plenty of time to address that.

Anyone at all concerned about LB post Bierra and Victor? When the JV squad is on there seems to be a pretty big drop off. Don't we have some stud LB red shirting though? I drink too much to remember all this shit.
    Fuck it you're right, I am pretty concerned about LB. There's nobody that inspires confidence behind Bierria and Victor right now. I think we'll be okay next year with Bierria likely holding it down (and Victor likely in the league), but after that it's scary. Thankfully I like the talent they redshirted this year. The way those two developed makes me think somebody will step up, but I agree we haven't seen anyone do anything that inspires confidence yet.
    Only 2 early entry MLBs were drafted in the first 2-3 rounds in the past couple of years
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,498 Swaye's Wigwam
    Typical group of dumb doogs bitching over recruiting rankings wondering why every player isnt a 5 star
  • ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811
    edited October 2016

dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

OL is the one area where I have always thought production correlates least to recruiting rankings. Very few linemen are ready to start as true frosh, most of them need development and weight room and nutrition (yes I know that's true for every position but I've always thought it more about OL than anywhere else).

If we're going to have an area where recruiting struggles but coaching excels OL would be the one I would pick.

Given Strausser's track record and the results we're seeing now, I'm fine with him staying. I'd bet anything recruiting OL's picks up based on the success of the program and his OL anyway. Whoever the sophomore/junior Foster Sarrell's are right now are going to be much more open to UW. That will help every position of course, but I'd bet anything the combination of development/ability to spot talent/program success is going to make the OL excellent going forward.

There's not really a position I'm concerned about long term other than QB post Browning. And there's plenty of time to address that.

Anyone at all concerned about LB post Bierra and Victor? When the JV squad is on there seems to be a pretty big drop off. Don't we have some stud LB red shirting though? I drink too much to remember all this shit.
    Fuck it you're right, I am pretty concerned about LB. There's nobody that inspires confidence behind Bierria and Victor right now. I think we'll be okay next year with Bierria likely holding it down (and Victor likely in the league), but after that it's scary. Thankfully I like the talent they redshirted this year. The way those two developed makes me think somebody will step up, but I agree we haven't seen anyone do anything that inspires confidence yet.
    Wellington is gonna be a nice player, same with Eifler..
    Oh are they?

AIRWOLF said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

I don't think we have anybody that I feel really good at playing ILB. I think longer term things look really bright at BUCK and OLB, but I haven't seen anything to make me feel great about the inside guys.
    Wellington is an inside guy, he'll be very good and will likely replace Bierria when he leaves, and Eifler is waiting in the wings behind Victor.
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

Patience is key. Bierria got some rotational work as a redshirt frosh, but both of the Victor/Bierria didn't really do anything spectacular until they were redshirt sophomores... 3rd year in the program. None of those 2nd string LBs are further than 2 years into the program, most came in the 2015 recruiting class (BBK, Tevis, DJ Beavers). Too early to completely write them off based on the pattern we saw with Victor/Bierria... though I do think that Wellington and Eifler are the future of that position.
    TTJ said:

Swaye said:

imageimage

They good.
    Really chinsightful, adding a lot to the discussion, thanks for that.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

No, recruiting actually matters ... the current state of OL recruiting is concerning ... it's the one area where the recruiting doesn't match what we see elsewhere

Not to rehash, but the only way it doesn't match what we have been seeing elsewhere is for the current class, which is, you know, not complete yet.
    This has been covered elsewhere and on our pod (where it was so bad we had to pull the plug midstream because DDY was about to kill himself or someone else) ... but the mix of numbers and quality on the OL is less than ideal ... at this point it is FS to argue otherwise ... it is the DM argument that so many here rallied against in years prior ... very amusing that it is now reversed

If you don't want DDY to try to kill himself again, I recommend fixing OL recruiting
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

No, recruiting actually matters ... the current state of OL recruiting is concerning ... it's the one area where the recruiting doesn't match what we see elsewhere

Not to rehash, but the only way it doesn't match what we have been seeing elsewhere is for the current class, which is, you know, not complete yet.
    This has been covered elsewhere and on our pod (where it was so bad we had to pull the plug midstream because DDY was about to kill himself or someone else) ... but the mix of numbers and quality on the OL is less than ideal ... at this point it is FS to argue otherwise ... it is the DM argument that so many here rallied against in years prior ... very amusing that it is now reversed

If you don't want DDY to try to kill himself again, I recommend fixing OL recruiting
    Fuck off with that shit.

We? never had a good OL in years prior, let alone best in the conference. If people's attitudes are different it's probably because the results are different. At this point it is FS to argue otherwise.

hth
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Tequilla said:

AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

Wouldn't it be nice if our OL recruiting just matched the rest of our recruiting?

I'm in LIPO mode right now (took a drive for some perspective), but we'll see how we do following NLOI day.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    This fucking debate again.

I'll only bitch about the line recruiting when the line sucks.

Lag effect will take place with the premier recruits down the line.

Strausser is doing his job.

Pretty much every recruit TSIO podcast has blasted before stepping on campus has been productive early in their careers, usually leap frogging the higher ranked guys.

I'm starting a podcast called Let it play out, you don't know shit.

or

LIPO, YDKS Podcast
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    Tequilla said:

AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

This has been covered elsewhere and on our pod (where it was so bad we had to pull the plug midstream because DDY was about to kill himself or someone else) ... but the mix of numbers and quality on the OL is less than ideal ... at this point it is FS to argue otherwise
    The 2014 OL class was pretty poor, but it was also the transition class.

In 2015 & 2016, the apparent quality, based on recruiting rankings, was right in line with the rest of those classes. I would have preferred at least one more linemen in those two classes, but that is that one recruit the difference between a crisis that you have to be fucking stupid not to see and everything being just dandy?
  • ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811
    Doogles said:

Pretty much every recruit TSIO podcast has blasted before stepping on campus has been productive early in their careers, usually leap frogging the higher ranked guys.

or

LIPO, YDKS Podcast

I was thinking about this Saturday when Aaron Fuller scored, but I couldn't remember who was trashing him on signing day. 4 true freshmen getting playing time, and two of those four are Fuller and Nick Harris, both shit on by our resident TBS'ers.

I remember someone saying Fuller had the worst tape for a D1 receiver he'd ever seen. Well, kid can ball.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    We've been RIGHT more than we've been wrong! Some of you need to take a walk for perspective!!1
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    edited October 2016

Doogles said:

or

LIPO, YDKS Podcast

I was thinking about this Saturday when Aaron Fuller scored, but I couldn't remember who was trashing him on signing day. 4 true freshmen getting playing time, and two of those four are Fuller and Nick Harris, both shit on by our resident TBS'ers.

I remember someone saying Fuller had the worst tape for a D1 receiver he'd ever seen. Well, kid can ball.
    I never understood why people hated Baccellia and Fuller so much. Chin...I get.

I also never though Jomon Dotson would amount to shit. He is still too weak to break anything but the most feminine of arm tackles, but I'll be damned if he isn't fairly productive.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

This has been covered elsewhere and on our pod (where it was so bad we had to pull the plug midstream because DDY was about to kill himself or someone else) ... but the mix of numbers and quality on the OL is less than ideal ... at this point it is FS to argue otherwise

In 2015 & 2016, the apparent quality, based on recruiting rankings, was right in line with the rest of those classes. I would have preferred at least one more linemen in those two classes, but that is that one recruit the difference between a crisis that you have to be fucking stupid not to see and everything being just dandy?
    Well then, it looks like we have more flexibility to take more OL in 2017 and 2018 which should pay big dividends in 2020 and 2021!!
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

We've been RIGHT more than we've been wrong! Some of you need to take a walk for perspective!!1

Mods?

For the record, Dennis was the one that hated on Fuller, but when his senior film came out he felt better about him.

Don't forget that I was a little more positive on him and expected that he could come in and contribute immediately given that he was coming from the world of Texas HS football where the reps that they get definitely make them more college ready than not as true freshman.
    AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

AIRWOLF said:

Tequilla said:

My concern is as much based on numbers as it is quality ...

To your point that we were 1 lineman short in the 2015 and 2016 classes, which I would agree with, the problem is that IF you consistently are in that position that really impacts your numbers down the road and leads to a lack of balance in a class ... which has its own issues.

The reason you are hearing the TSIO crew so vocal on this is that as it stands now the 2017 class is going in the same direction. 3 straight years of that becomes a huge problem.

To those that are fast forwarding to February and saying what if we get this guy and that guy, there's no question that we don't know with 100% certainty what the final class will look like. The TSIO podcast has been fairly consistent in saying that we'll be getting Henry Bainivalu from Skyline. We call it as we see it at the time and try to stay in a position where we're talking about what is likely and not about hopes and dreams.

And for anybody that likes to bash what one of us says about this recruit or that recruit, we're also way more accurate about what we talk about than not. The citing of Nick Harris on one hand is a nice surprise, but one of the big reasons that we weren't high on him is because he really doesn't look the part. He's still dramatically undersized and the fact that he's playing at this point to me is as much an indictment on the overall depth on our line than anything else. The RG position on our offense has been about one of the few positions that has been at times a shit show on the entire roster.