Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mariota is a 57% passer & DAT is probably out

They've gashed teams for big plays through the air but this guy is not a pure passer. Our pass D is #3 in the nation against the #14 SOS (Sagarin). Peters is on guys like stink on shit and Parker is excellent. Ducre and Shamburger are two huge surprises. Last year Mariota was only 21-37 against Stanford. Thats why they lost. Mariota was only 62% against UW last year. Certainly, these will be the best WRs we've faced but its a matchup we shouldnt lose.

I don't think DAT plays. Sprained ankle, not going to be ready in only two weeks. More like 4-6. And Byron Marshall is no James or Barner. The key will be keeping Mariota from killing us on the ground. We have the secondary to neutralize their passing game and our LB's have to be disciplined and tackle well in the open-field. I'd hit Mariota early and often...even if we get a few PF penalties.

Oregon gave up 300 yards last week in the first half to Colorado (and 200 to Virginia) and doesn't have Dion Jordan, Kiko Alonso and Michael Clay anymore...three experienced and big-time players on defense. Sankey will go for over 100. Kasen and ASJ need to step up and play like All-Americans.

Not downgrading how good Oregon is, just think the opportunity for UW is ripe due to some slight overlooked things. Do we get a Seahawk-esque crowd? Are we mentally tough enough to come back and play a solid four quarters? These things are key. If Sark doesn't coach us out of a win I like our chances. Each year Sark has had 1 upset victory and its come in the first half of the season. UW is 15-2 in last 17 at home. Over the last 6 games at home, UW is +14ppg avg against the spread. Over the last three games is +20ppg. (Ex-Idaho St).

Fuck Ted fucking stupid Miller for saying its a win if we keep it close.

This is the definition of abundance gentlemen. Win this game AND it increases chances of Sark to USC.

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    edited October 2013
    DAT will play.
    Oregon will win.

TSIO

Bonus note: The Ducks only put up 755 yards without DAT last week
    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332780038
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,333

They've gashed teams for big plays through the air but this guy is not a pure passer. Our pass D is #3 in the nation against the #14 SOS (Sagarin). Peters is on guys like stink on shit and Parker is excellent. Ducre and Shamburger are two huge surprises. Last year Mariota was only 21-37 against Stanford. Thats why they lost. Mariota was only 62% against UW last year. Certainly, these will be the best WRs we've faced but its a matchup we shouldnt lose.

I don't think DAT plays. Sprained ankle, not going to be ready in only two weeks. More like 4-6. And Byron Marshall is no James or Barner. The key will be keeping Mariota from killing us on the ground. We have the secondary to neutralize their passing game and our LB's have to be disciplined and tackle well in the open-field. I'd hit Mariota early and often...even if we get a few PF penalties.

Oregon gave up 300 yards last week in the first half to Colorado (and 200 to Virginia) and doesn't have Dion Jordan, Kiko Alonso and Michael Clay anymore...three experienced and big-time players on defense. Sankey will go for over 100. Kasen and ASJ need to step up and play like All-Americans.

Not downgrading how good Oregon is, just think the opportunity for UW is ripe due to some slight overlooked things. Do we get a Seahawk-esque crowd? Are we mentally tough enough to come back and play a solid four quarters? These things are key. If Sark doesn't coach us out of a win I like our chances. Each year Sark has had 1 upset victory and its come in the first half of the season. UW is 15-2 in last 17 at home. Over the last 6 games at home, UW is +14ppg avg against the spread. Over the last three games is +20ppg. (Ex-Idaho St).

Fuck Ted fucking stupid Miller for saying its a win if we keep it close.

This is the definition of abundance gentlemen. Win this game AND it increases chances of Sark to USC.

DAT's playing

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=128&f=1423&t=12105280
  • Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    Maybe the best shot we've had at beating them in the past decade
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,333
    I think Washington pulls it off, but if they don't, that streak might run another 4-5 years.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Sprained ankles take 4-6 weeks to recover from. Trufant had one last year and he was back in two weeks but not very good against WSU.

Seen leaving practice doesn't mean anything. Of course he has to practice to see how it is.

Even if DAT plays, odds of him being 100% are very low.
  • "Do we get a Seahawk-esque crowd?"

No. because half of them will be Oregon fans. The only fans of the opposing team for the Seahawks game are cops

Disagree Oregon has never traveled well or taken over our stadium. They were highly ranked coming in here in 2007, 2009 and 2011 and their visitor crowd was the same as in the late 90's.

It's like like they have ever owned our stadium like Nebraska in 2010 or Ohio State in 2007.
  • chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    Mariota only completed 62% of his passes against UW last year and they beat us by 30 points.

Oregon is the one team on our schedule who is just legitimately better. They may be the best team in the country.

Stanford was the game for the taking. We were the better team.

But let's not pretend UW should win this week.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074

And Byron Marshall is no James or Barner.

You glossed over Tyner. Both are 10.___ second 100 meter guys and, while nobody has James' wiggle or change of direction, those boys can run. Barner disappeared in a few games for Oregon last year - not sure these two dudes are big drop off from him. Tyner, I think, will be a monster before he's done. Reminds me a lot of Jonathan Stewart.

I think the real issue is the one you touched on - Thomas. Fucker is a game changer. If he plays, no way he's 100%, and guys like that don't do what they do at 85%. It's hard to cut as hard as he does while going Mach 5 on a bum ankle. That's the first thing that a bum ankle takes away from you.

That will matter at some point in the game. Let's hope it's at a critical point.

Sprained ankles take 4-6 weeks to recover from. Trufant had one last year and he was back in two weeks but not very good against WSU.

Seen leaving practice doesn't mean anything. Of course he has to practice to see how it is.

Oregon doesn't need DAT to put up yards and score points. I agree he probably won't be 100%, but he'll play and do some damage.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

I like to assume all sprained ankles are created equal

• alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    Shelton and the Defensive Tackles need to be huge so Oregon must double team them. That keeps their offensive line from getting to the second level and then our linebackers can run free to make tackles.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2013
    It depends on how badly DAT's ankle was sprained. He didn't play last week because he didn't have to. He sat out the Cal game after he sprained his ankle on the opening kick, and the next week against Colorado. Nobody really knows how badly he sprained it.

I hope DAT is hampered by it, but he may be just fine. Even at 80% he is still an incredible player. I do agree about Marshall and Tyner not being anywhere close to as good as James and Barner. I'm not really worried about any RB but DAT. That said, even without Thomas, they have some dangerous playmakers. Mariota may be only hitting 57% of his passes, but he is averaging 10.13 yards per attempt, which is sensational. He also has not thrown an INT, and he is a fast motherfucker who can break a long run at any time. He's a hell of a player, and by far, the best QB we have faced so far this year.

Josh Huff and Bralon Addison are two great playmakers at WR. Special teams is another concern because Oregon has a couple of guys who are big time returners and last week showed that we are still prone to giving up big returns.

I know it is cliché, but there is no way we beat these guys unless we force multiple turnovers. I think the crowd will play a factor and help keep us in the game, but at this point, it is a stretch to say we will beat Oregon. I'm fucking pumped for the game though.
    dnc said:

I like to assume all sprained ankles are created equal

Injury superiority guy

DAT will be fine running straight ahead untouched 97 yards with the opening kick off

You made the assumption we kick it to the goal line.

DAT will be fine running straight ahead untouched 97 yards with the opening kick off

Van Winkle kicks three yards farther on turf than grass, especially because Montlake is a lot further north than Palo Alto.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074
    edited October 2013

I do agree about Marshall and Tyner not being anywhere close to as good as James and Barner. I'm not really worried about any RB but DAT.

Just dont' know how you come to this conclusion. Tyner is a true freshman and has shredded teams in very limited duty. Both of those guys are very good backs. I might - might - give you James, but Barner, good as he was, benefited from an open field. Both Marshal and Tyner are more powerful runners than either James or Barner, and both are faster.

And Thomas, at 80%, would be a COMPLETELY different player. He earns his bacon by cutting hard and often at full speed - something most people can't do. When you roll your ankle, you are vulnerable in precisely the last place you can afford to be vulnerable -the outside of your ankle.

I have no idea how bad the injury is - only he knows that. But if he's less than 100%, it will show big time. I remember when Santana Moss rolled his ankle the week before Miami came here to play UW, and he was a shell of himself. Same type of player - small, very fast and a hard cutter.

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
    edited October 2013
    I want UW to beat Oregon with DAT.....so there are no what if's bullshit
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Van Winkle kicks three yards farther on turf than grass, especially because Montlake is a lot further north than Palo Alto.
    You what I'm going to say......you KNOW WHAT I'm going to say!!!!!

I WANNA DIP MY BALLS IN IT!!!!
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2013

I do agree about Marshall and Tyner not being anywhere close to as good as James and Barner. I'm not really worried about any RB but DAT.

Just dont' know how you come to this conclusion. Tyner is a true freshman and has shredded teams in very limited duty. Both of those guys are very good backs. I might - might - give you James, but Barner, good as he was, benefited from an open field. Both Marshal and Tyner are more powerful runners than either James or Barner, and both are faster.

And Thomas, at 80%, would be a COMPLETELY different player. He earns his bacon by cutting hard and often at full speed - something most people can't do. When you roll your ankle, you are vulnerable in precisely the last place you can afford to be vulnerable -the outside of your ankle.

I have no idea how bad the injury is - only he knows that. But if he's less than 100%, it will show big time. I remember when Santana Moss rolled his ankle the week before Miami came here to play UW, and he was a shell of himself. Same type of player - small, very fast and a hard cutter.

Sorry, but James and Barner were much better than Marshall and Tyner are at this moment. Tyner and Marshall might get there, but Tyner running wild on a couple of sub par teams in limited action doesn't really mean that much. Marshall is good, but I still think the old guys were better. I know Tyner is a really fast guy, but Marshall does not look nearly as fast as James or Barner. James and Barner did it week in and week out, no matter who the competition was. Marshall and Tyner are basically unproven backs, although they are very talented. I will eat my words if they tear us up on Saturday, but Barner and James were All Pac 12 backs, and James was a Heisman finalist.