Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

These Contracts

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Where did Richard Jefferson sign?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

The Grizz are pretty much the new Mavs ... decent enough to be a tough out but unlikely to be a championship team

Welcome to 2011.

The Grizz have been a tough out but not quite championship caliber for awhile now.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm ok with most of the deals. Mozgov and Noah are starting centers if healthy and those prices are just the new normal. I don't understand why those teams didn't go after Biyombo, who won't be thirty fucking four in the last year of his deal, but whatever. That Turner deal is a joke. He couldn't start for Boston last year. A mediocre east team. Yeah there's less health risk and there's also zero upside. He a small forward that can't shoot and needs to have the ball to be effective, except he's not effective with the ball. I look forward to Lillards free agency tour in 5 years.

Biyombo is smaller than some of these other guys. I would rather take him or Festus Ezeli though.

Jesus Christ don't remind me about a pending Lillard free agency. "GM Bro" as he's called with reverence down here in Portland, is a fucking moron living off of the Paul trade.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I understand this is the new normal, but guys like Conley getting 30 mil a year is still insane to me.

DJ Augustine couldn't get minute as the back up PG in OKC, but is getting 7 mil.

Griz have a nice team if they can stay healthy. I can't see them winning the West, but they have the look of a tough out who could possibly do damage.

I know that Cleveland has Lebron and all, but they proved that you can still beat all these up-tempo teams if you stick to your plan and wear them down over a 6-7 game series. I still really like Memphis' all-around game and roster. They can beat anyone in the West except maybe OKC w/ Durant.
  • Options
    haie said:

I understand this is the new normal, but guys like Conley getting 30 mil a year is still insane to me.

DJ Augustine couldn't get minute as the back up PG in OKC, but is getting 7 mil.

Griz have a nice team if they can stay healthy. I can't see them winning the West, but they have the look of a tough out who could possibly do damage.

I know that Cleveland has Lebron and all, but they proved that you can still beat all these up-tempo teams if you stick to your plan and wear them down over a 6-7 game series. I still really like Memphis' all-around game and roster. They can beat anyone in the West except maybe OKC w/ Durant.
    Memphis owns OKC
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Some people act like it's their money being spent.

Isn't it?

#publicstadiumfinancing
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Isn't it?

#publicstadiumfinancing
    "We" got a team?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    PurpleJ said:

Isn't it?

#publicstadiumfinancing
    "We" got a team?
    "We" will probably have an arena before a team. But still.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I fully understand the finances of the NBA. Ticket prices are a far lower percentage of the total revenue pie than the rights fees coming from all of the differing multimedia rights fees.

On one hand, I don't have a single problem with businesses making as much money as possible. But you also hit a tipping point when people start looking at things where the numbers start making sense. If a LeBron caliber player is making $100M per year, I don't think anybody looks at that and says too much. But when guys that aren't any kind of difference maker is making insane money, then you start getting people to start questioning the current direction.

As for whether or not the problem is attendance or whatnot, at present it isn't. The arenas are full for sure. Television viewership is fine. But the reality is that the rights fees for networks carrying sports keeps increasing exponentially year after year so one way or another we all are paying for it. And, if that isn't enough, you still have the small issue of arenas and the impact on the communities. My guess is that what you're going to find is that the appetite will vanish for governments to sink a ton of money into facilities when you have for instance $250M going to 2 players that have never made an All-Star team.

Again, no problem what they are doing in the short run. But what is going on is going to come back and get them somewhere down the line as they continue to chase revenue stream after revenue stream while some of the other claims start falling on deaf ears.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/look-celtics-mean-business-bring-tom-brady-to-kevin-durant-pitch/: Celtics mean business, bring Tom Brady to Kevin Durant pitch - CBSSports.com

lol fuckin a, boston would.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    What a cool day for the Celtics ...

Brady pitching KD
    Horford signing on

#CelticPride
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

I fully understand the finances of the NBA. Ticket prices are a far lower percentage of the total revenue pie than the rights fees coming from all of the differing multimedia rights fees.

On one hand, I don't have a single problem with businesses making as much money as possible. But you also hit a tipping point when people start looking at things where the numbers start making sense. If a LeBron caliber player is making $100M per year, I don't think anybody looks at that and says too much. But when guys that aren't any kind of difference maker is making insane money, then you start getting people to start questioning the current direction.

As for whether or not the problem is attendance or whatnot, at present it isn't. The arenas are full for sure. Television viewership is fine. But the reality is that the rights fees for networks carrying sports keeps increasing exponentially year after year so one way or another we all are paying for it. And, if that isn't enough, you still have the small issue of arenas and the impact on the communities. My guess is that what you're going to find is that the appetite will vanish for governments to sink a ton of money into facilities when you have for instance $250M going to 2 players that have never made an All-Star team.

Again, no problem what they are doing in the short run. But what is going on is going to come back and get them somewhere down the line as they continue to chase revenue stream after revenue stream while some of the other claims start falling on deaf ears.

Clearly you don't understand the finances or you wouldn't keep digging yourself a bigger hole.

What you call insane, NBA owners call good business. Increasing franchise values, winning championships, filling seats; whatever an NBA owner's motivations are, they didn't get the money to buy their franchises by being dumbfucks.

Fuck up and overpay a player? Wear the contract. Grind your teeth and grimace watching that player age, your team suck and the guy in the next city hoisting a trophy and drinking Crystal while giving you the finger.

Don't like the rights fees that the teams pass on to you? Un-hook your cable. Don't buy tickets. Tell Softy to fuck himself when he invites you down for the rally.

Of course you could be like you: Renew your tickets. Keep the lights on. Support your team. Help keep the lights on. You share the optimism. Good times are just around the next bend. Good things take time.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Women's roller derby players make a fraction of what these guys are making... and don't get me started on facilities.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I question how much Parsons has left ... I wouldn't put close to $100M on my cap with a guy that may have little left in his knee (or at minimum, needs to have a good knee to be an effective player at that salary).

The money is the new norm ... but that doesn't make it right. Smart teams will exploit this by putting together as many max guys as possible and filling out their roster with guys looking for the chance to win (and the $$$ that come with that) and let the not quite good enough All Stars sign their cap crippling $15-$20M a year contracts.

Yeah, why doesn't everyone just sign a bunch of all stars and win the championship? Stupid GMs.
    Missing the point I was making ...

Of course not everybody will be able to do that because there are only so many teams that can do that ... but more than ever the handful of franchises that are able to obtain and/or attract these players will be able to stock pile these kinds of players. With how much the cap is, you'll be able to load multiple top end guys under the cap which you used to never be able to do unless you obtained all of them. There was never the potential for a team like the Warriors to have the kind of money available to be able to go out and make a legit run at a player like KD.

With the idea of salary floors, etc., too many of these teams have no choice but to spend the money and in so doing are going to enter into bad contract after bad contract for guys that quite frankly suck. Evan Turner isn't worth close to $250k per game. That's fucking insane. That means the equivalent of a full capacity arena of 20k paying $12.50 of their ticket price directly to Evan Turner each game ... I know there's more into it than that ... but that's what I'm getting at. It's fucking insane.
    Hi. Owners set ticket prices. TV $ drives the majority of the revenues. If the owners didn't think it was good business they wouldn't offer the players fucking insane salaries. The rich wouldn't fall over themselves to buy the franchises.

The fucking insane ticket prices obviously didn't keep the fans from filling the arenas to 94% of capacity, an NBA record. Even Grandpa Sankey attended two games this year.

The fact that smaller market teams like Golden State can assemble a team of stars shows how assinine your view is.

Flagged for calling Golden State a small market team.
  • Options