Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My one issue with Hugh Millen

Comments

• You aren't very good at this message board thing.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

However, next year, I think UW has the easiest OOC I have ever seen from an AQ school.

UW's 2014 schedule is a disgrace, but I'd say this:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/06 - Eastern Washington
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

Is still more challenging than Arizona's 2013 schedule:

N. Arizona
    @ UNLV
    UTSA (San Antonio)
    Thank you for reaffirming my choice to NOT renew season tickets. That OOC lineup is embarrassing.

No. Other. Way. To. Spin. It.

• In 2014 only the UCLA game is worth going to IMO.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

I don't go in for most of the Hugh bashing that goes on around here. I like and respect him.

But I do have one issue with him that has disappointed me greatly.

For years and years he was one of the most vocal opponents I've ever heard about Division I/BCS opponents not scheduling cupcakes in order to get easy victories. Sometimes he would state his case almost to the point of anger. He said it was cowardly and cheapened the game of football, and he always said how proud he was that Washington never stooped to that type of thing. And I agreed 100%.

But when UW first announced its scheduling of Eastern Washington, with more cupcakes like Portland State and Idaho State on the horizon, Hugh did an immediate 180 and said how the idea had merit and it was a good thing for the Huskies to do since virtually everyone else was doing it.

It was extremely disappointing. And now we have a watered down schedule tailor-made to take as much pressure off Sark as possible... Instead of striving for real greatness.

Don't agree. I think as long as UW still played ABC, it was OK because the SEC was scheduling CCC
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Shoot, still is!
  • Our schedule right now is a B, C, F. Next year it's a C, C, F, D.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,670 Founders Club

I will try and respond before the thread veers of course. The EWU, Portland St, etc are now what the San Jose St, Pacific, Toledo, etc of the world once where before the 100 scholarship limits. Right now 180 kids are pushed down because of the limits on the Pac 12 teams, so the talent level has been spread throughout the mid majors, forcing more talented players to play into the sub division.

The majority of Husky schedules have included a cupcake.

And it is more about keeping up with the Jones' than protecting Sark.

Pure and simple it has to do with the amount of $$$ floating around college football.

I agree somewhat. The gap between d-1a and aa has closed a great deal. ND St, Appalachian State, Eastern, And Sac State... those teams just did not upset Good and mid level what were then BCS teams in the 80's and early 90's. I remember when we played teams like Pacific and Bowling for Columbine Green In the 80's... A lot of those teams were garbage. The MAC wasn't nearly as good as it is now. all that said, there's still no excuse for scheduling the 1 AA (FCS Is a retarded term Invented by some PR firm to blur the line between the upper division and Lower Division teams) schools. There are still plenty of garbage 1-a teams. New Mexico State, UT San Antonio, UNLV, CSU, Vandals, And probably half of the Sun Belt and Mac...Pool Bitch could make it work if he wanted to. He just doesn't and wants to ensure an automatic win.

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

However, next year, I think UW has the easiest OOC I have ever seen from an AQ school.

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

What scares the shit out of me ...

2-2 or 1-3 could be reality.

The only for sure win I see is Georgia State.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,841 Swaye's Wigwam
    topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

If only that wasn't true.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    I can add one other reason to dislike cupcake scheduling in order to pad the win column while pocketing more revenue by feasting on less demanding FCS midgets. Scott Woodward has said it himself that such scheduling is the "Oregon Way", and for our AD to waddle down the same quack path as the ducks is despicable.
  • topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

Just like at the start of the year most on here were saying we'd be 2-2 or 1-3.

Jesus people, I know this team isn't awesome but we also don't suck either.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,067 Standard Supporter
    Not to hijack this thread but Hugh has been adamant this week on Mitch in morning about hating this type of game. He hasn't changed his tune. He would prefer the big teams play each other and just find a different way to fund the Idaho states of the world.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    edited September 2013

Not to hijack this thread but Hugh has been adamant this week on Mitch in morning about hating this type of game. He hasn't changed his tune. He would prefer the big teams play each other and just find a different way to fund the Idaho states of the world.

It would be hard to toe the company line and be a respectable host if he stays true to his convictions.

But it is Seattle sports-talk.... home of the biggest mouth-breathing homers in the lower 48.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074

I don't go in for most of the Hugh bashing that goes on around here. I like and respect him.

But I do have one issue with him that has disappointed me greatly.

For years and years he was one of the most vocal opponents I've ever heard about Division I/BCS opponents not scheduling cupcakes in order to get easy victories. Sometimes he would state his case almost to the point of anger. He said it was cowardly and cheapened the game of football, and he always said how proud he was that Washington never stooped to that type of thing. And I agreed 100%.

But when UW first announced its scheduling of Eastern Washington, with more cupcakes like Portland State and Idaho State on the horizon, Hugh did an immediate 180 and said how the idea had merit and it was a good thing for the Huskies to do since virtually everyone else was doing it.

It was extremely disappointing. And now we have a watered down schedule tailor-made to take as much pressure off Sark as possible... Instead of striving for real greatness.

so, what you're saying is that you're ok with the bad hair plugs?

cuz I'm not.

topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

This is like the opposite of a section14AFS post, but just as fucking stupid.

topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

Really?

Sark ...

New QB

EWU nearly beat UW and did beat OSU

Hawaii could be overlooked

Illinois was two dropped passes from beating UW this year.

I hate to be a debbie downer, the fact is until proven otherwise ...

If you can prove me wrong, please do so.

Sark is gonna Sark.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

Really?

Sark ...

New QB

Sark is gonna Sark.

I knew you were going to say that about Eastern. If they played Oregon State 10 times, they would lose 9. We are much better than 2011. That game is not relevant.

Hawaii is fucking terrible. Have you watched them?

We outgained Illinois by almost 300 yards. They were lucky to be within 10. Not to mention, it was a road game. Next year's game is at home. Easy win.

You're not a Debbie Downer, you are a fucking idiot. I will bet a lot of money if you want to bet we will go 2-2 or 1-3 next year. You should really die in a fire. You are just as fucking stupid as 14AFS.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

topdawgnc said:

08/30 - at Hawaii
    09/13 - Illinois
    09/20 - Georgia State

Really?

Sark ...

New QB

Sark is gonna Sark.

Reverse AuburnDawgFS

topdawgnc said:

I knew you were going to say that about Eastern. If they played Oregon State 10 times, they would lose 9. We are much better than 2011. That game is not relevant.

We outgained Illinois by almost 300 yards. They were lucky to be within 10. Not to mention, it was a road game. Next year's game is at home. Easy win.

You're not a Debbie Downer, you are a fucking idiot. I will bet a lot of money if you want to bet we will go 2-2 or 1-3 next year. You should really die in a fire. You are just as fucking stupid as 14AFS.

You really enjoy the word if and lucky.

If Eastern plays OSU 10 times ... here's a hint ... they don't and EWU won. EWU also damn near beat UW (in Seattle).

Illinois was lucky to be within 10 ... they were. It's sad UW out gained them by 300 and it was so close.

Stop dealing with the words if and lucky ... you will then see my point.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

If Eastern plays OSU 10 times ... here's a hint ... they don't and EWU won. EWU also damn near beat UW (in Seattle).

Illinois was lucky to be within 10 ... they were. It's sad UW out gained them by 300 and it was so close.

topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

I counted two ifs (one was IF you want to bet about 2-2) and one lucky. I fully understand that Sark is Sark, but other than BYU he hasn't lost non conference games to inferior opponents, especially at home.

Take all the screenshots you need, UW will not start 2-2 or 1-3. Even 3-1 would be surprising. You are probably the only person dumb enough to think we will.