Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My one issue with Hugh Millen

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,877 Founders Club
I don't go in for most of the Hugh bashing that goes on around here. I like and respect him.

But I do have one issue with him that has disappointed me greatly.

For years and years he was one of the most vocal opponents I've ever heard about Division I/BCS opponents not scheduling cupcakes in order to get easy victories. Sometimes he would state his case almost to the point of anger. He said it was cowardly and cheapened the game of football, and he always said how proud he was that Washington never stooped to that type of thing. And I agreed 100%.

But when UW first announced its scheduling of Eastern Washington, with more cupcakes like Portland State and Idaho State on the horizon, Hugh did an immediate 180 and said how the idea had merit and it was a good thing for the Huskies to do since virtually everyone else was doing it.

It was extremely disappointing. And now we have a watered down schedule tailor-made to take as much pressure off Sark as possible... Instead of striving for real greatness.

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Hugh is just another typical paid KJR shill.

Also, I'm not at all surprised that you have his back on the QB racism.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,877 Founders Club

Nice attempt at trolling.

You were the one who said you only had one issue with Hugh.

I just extrapolated the rest for you.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    edited September 2013
    I will try and respond before the thread veers of course. The EWU, Portland St, etc are now what the San Jose St, Pacific, Toledo, etc of the world once where before the 100 scholarship limits. Right now 180 kids are pushed down because of the limits on the Pac 12 teams, so the talent level has been spread throughout the mid majors, forcing more talented players to play into the sub division.

The majority of Husky schedules have included a cupcake.

And it is more about keeping up with the Jones' than protecting Sark.

Pure and simple it has to do with the amount of $$$ floating around college football.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

I don't go in for most of the Hugh bashing that goes on around here. I like and respect him.

But I do have one issue with him that has disappointed me greatly.

For years and years he was one of the most vocal opponents I've ever heard about Division I/BCS opponents not scheduling cupcakes in order to get easy victories. Sometimes he would state his case almost to the point of anger. He said it was cowardly and cheapened the game of football, and he always said how proud he was that Washington never stooped to that type of thing. And I agreed 100%.

But when UW first announced its scheduling of Eastern Washington, with more cupcakes like Portland State and Idaho State on the horizon, Hugh did an immediate 180 and said how the idea had merit and it was a good thing for the Huskies to do since virtually everyone else was doing it.

It was extremely disappointing. And now we have a watered down schedule tailor-made to take as much pressure off Sark as possible... Instead of striving for real greatness.

Christ. Here we go.

3-2-1. . . . .
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,877 Founders Club

You were the one who said you only had one issue with Hugh.

I just extrapolated the rest for you.
    Conveniently ignoring my first sentence. You like to do that.

And as I've said before, I haven't listened to KJR in something like two years. But when I told people around me that I was writing a book to defend the players vs. Tyrone and Emmert, a lot of people like Kim ran and hid. Hugh stepped up and helped me.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798

I will try and respond before the thread veers of course. The EWU, Portland St, etc are now what the San Jose St, Pacific, Toledo, etc of the world once where before the 100 scholarship limits. Right now 180 kids are pushed down because of the limits on the Pac 12 teams, so the talent level has been spread throughout the mid majors, forcing more talented players to play into the sub division.

Wow. Vehemently disagree. If UW's OOC sched used to follow an A-B-C formula (or A-A-C in some years), this year's is B-C-F. Next year's is C-D-F-F.
    edited September 2013

Bullshit. There a lot more FBS/I-A schools now than there were in 1983.

http://footballgeography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FBS-Classifications.pdf

TTJ said:

Wow. Vehemently disagree. If UW's OOC sched used to follow an A-B-C formula (or A-A-C in some years), this year's is B-C-F. Next year's is C-D-F-F.
    Were weren't talking about the SOS? I was pointing out the back in the day, teams like San Jose St, Toledo, Pacific (RIP) were getting some of the kids that are no forced down to sub division because of scholarship limits.

As for next year's SOS, I do AGREE it is a joke.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    The thing that pisses me off is you can keep an easy schedule without having to schedule FCS schools. Why couldn't they have scheduled UNLV, New Mexico, Idaho, Colorado St, Wyoming.

Regarding Hugh, his problem is his love for Locker at all costs. Forces him to downgrade every other QB in the world.

TTJ said:

Were weren't talking about the SOS? I was pointing out the back in the day, teams like San Jose St, Toledo, Pacific (RIP) were getting some of the kids that are no forced down to sub division because of scholarship limits.

There are more kids getting FBS scholarships now than there were kids getting I-A scholarships 30 years ago.

Don't let math ruin your fucktarded arguments though.
  • Irishdawg has reached IMALOSER territory in this thread.
    edited September 2013

TTJ said:

There are more kids getting FBS scholarships now than there were kids getting I-A scholarships 30 years ago.

Old Dominion approves this fucking stupid post.

Just because the keep adding crappy teams to the FBS, does not change the argument that the talent is getting diluted.

TTJ said:

Just because the keep adding crappy teams to the FBS, does not change the argument that the talent is getting diluted.
    Actually, the numbers show that the increase in crappy FBS teams over the past 30 years provided a home for the talent dilution and for 800 kids that would have been in I-AA 30 years ago.

Do REAL research or get the fuck out of here.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,157 Founders Club
    Now he's not defending pool boy....really he's not
  • Irish isn't a Doog who defends Pool Boy or Sark guys. He only points out bull shit lies to support both of them but don't confuse that as him defending them.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Two for one sale on vagisil at Rite Aid in Ballard...Looks like a few of you could benefit from this.

Scheduling is what is now. I just wish we would play consistently better against ALL opponents .

TTJ said:

Actually, the numbers show that the increase in crappy FBS teams over the past 30 years provided a home for the talent dilution and for 800 kids that would have been in I-AA 30 years ago.

That probable explains why a record # of FBS teams lost to lower division schools on the opening weekend.

• TTJ said:

That probable explains why a record # of FBS teams lost to lower division schools on the opening weekend.

You should probably go troll on Dawgbored(RIP). That seems to be more your speed.
    and I am sure you have a breakdown of the fringe FBS recruits who chose to go to Old Dominion and receive a weekly plunger, or go to a top sub div. school like ND ST to win some fucking games.