Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Copy and paste hilarious doog pro-Romar comments here

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    For all those that wanted Romar gone, I hope you guys are ready to stay mediocre... remember the best recruiting class in school history... BEST EVER
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Already can see UW fans watching MPJ dominate next year, taking Missouri to Elite 8 and complaining, "That could've been us."

-Brian Piercy
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

I apparently wasted hours going to watch Garfield and Nathan Hale play a couple of times

Sure will be great watching them light up March Madness next year….. on other teams…

As much as I like Jen, seems like she set herself up to either look like a genius or an idiot.
    Posted by Rhaego on Mar 16, 2017 | 10:49 AM

LOL

That was apparent long ago, RhaegoFS
  • Options
    QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Doog article of the week

Whichever way it goes, I’m having trouble reconciling the fact that we traded Romar, a couple of key pieces from the roster and most of the #2 rated incoming class in the nation for one of the options noted above. It’s like the contestant that handed over to Monty Hall of “Let’s Make a Deal” the keys to the Corvette he just won so that he could see what was behind door #3.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So over the past few days, I have been pondering​ what was the main reason for the termination of Lorenzo Romar? He was a man of strong moral character, the recruits really liked him and outside of failing to lead the team to the tournament the last 6 years it seemed as he was accomplishing the most important part of his job, educating young men and preparing them for life a feat that can not be measured by wins and losses. So the further I thought about this I thought why did Jen Cohen make her decision? And even more so why make the decision to hire someone who lacked the big name recognition? I came to this as my theory to why Coach Romar is gone. The decision to let Romar go has ensured that we will lose many pieces of what was lauded as the greatest recruiting class in school history. This is why I believe that is why Romar is now gone. I believe that many of the circumstances surrounding the recruitment of the Porters may honestly be the key begin Jen's decision to let Romar go and then to hire a coach who has dealt with the NCAA on numerous situations. Honestly can you say that it was coincidence that Brandon Roy starting coaching High School Basketball? I love my huskies through and through and this is the only thing that makes since. Because now the school does not have to worry about the kids playing for them!!!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    These people make my head want to explode ... how FS can they be

My favorite are anytime somebody points out how corrupt Seattle AAU basketball is as an indication that that's the way it is and how it will always be as if there's no other options to recruiting players going forward.

I'd really like to ask these idiots how they think programs like Iowa St, Creighton, etc. are able to have good programs year after year when they are in the middle of fucking nowhere.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

There are wide spread reports that the interview process played a big part in Romar’s firing. Cohen asked what Romar’s plans were for turning things around, and he said, basically, we will win more games with better players. This is a reasonable comment. Almost all losing programs can look back at the quality of the players they recruited, and almost all successful programs can do the opposite. The UW is no exception. Five years ago, we recruited no one — not a single player — to replace three quality players (Ross, Wroten and Gant). That is terrible, and yet similar to the years before and after. The only decent player Romar got during that period was NWG, and he left.

But it was the wrong thing to say. The timing was terrible. Cohen doesn’t know that much about basketball, and probably hasn’t followed the men’s basketball program through the ups and downs in both play and recruiting (which have a strong correspondence). What she sees is three NBA players recruited in two years, and she probably assumed that all three were key to the wins, and that Romar had always recruited like that. But that simply wasn’t the case. Murray and Chriss were good players, but on the last Husky team that made it to the tournament (2010) they would have come off the bench. But the team was dependent on them because of the recruiting failures in the few years prior to that.

Again, the timing was terrible. Romar had to basically explain that the main reason they struggled was because he had to rebuild the program — a program he built. Oh, and it takes a while. Things are better now — he is recruiting better players, yet they still haven’t been to the tournament the last couple years. This is something that happens to new coaches all the time. Hopkins, for example, will have four years (at least) to show that he can win with these players. Romar was basically asking for a reset — to be treated like a new coach who took the job two years ago. That was when he finally figured out how to recruit. He had some success the first year, but the unexpected loss of both Murray and Chriss cost him the second year. The third year (next year) everything was going to come together, as he would have the combination of good experienced players (Dickerson, Thybulle, Crisp, Johnson, Timmins) to go along with great new players (Porter, Harris, Nowell, etc.). The following could have been even better, as another Porter comes along, and everyone but the older Porter just gets better. Again, that is normal for a new coach, but very unusual for an experienced one. That is because most coaches that start losing also fail to recruit. The only situation I can think of like Romar’s is UCLA — a program where recruiting good players is relatively easy. They had a dramatic turnaround in one year under the same coach (because of the combination of experience and great new players).

What bothers me most is that Cohen put so much emphasis on the interview. It reminds me of when Neuheisel was hired. Everyone in the room said they loved the answers he gave. It suggests that if Romar could have been like Slick Rick, and spread the BS, he would still have his job. Other than firing some of his assistants, I don’t see how Romar could have made any concrete changes. What exactly, was Cohen expecting, other than BS. If Romar said "there would be an increased emphasis on defense", would he still have his old job? Again, BS. If Cohen wanted Romar to do something (like fire an assistant and get better ones) and he refused, that is one thing. But to have a check list, or base your decision on interview answers is ridiculous and unprofessional.

The quality of the team was dependent on the maturity of players and coaching staff, along with the addition of new players. That is the case with about every team and it has been the case with Romar. The last time Romar had a team with as much talent and experience as we would have had next year, we made the tournament. Firing a coach because of the answers he gave in an interview just seems ridiculous to me.

Posted by RossBl on Jun 26, 2017 | 10:48 AM
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I love that he admits Romar drove his own program into the ground because he couldn't figure out how to recruit, coach, or develop talent after being here over a decade... but still defends him.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2017
    Heard that the players think this coaching staff is way way way better.
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

I love that he admits Romar drove his own program into the ground because he couldn't figure out how to recruit, coach, or develop talent after being here over a decade... but still defends him.

This RossBi (not that there is anything wrong with that) guy is insanely fucking stupid ...

If you're trying to save your job by basically admitting that you were incompetent and that you need more time because you have finally figured it out should earn you an auto pink slip
  • Options

This is why I need to see Hop in action before I get too excited ... with these kinds of comments the bar is set really low

If there is a positive it would be that the buy in is taking place fairly quickly
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

This is why I need to see Hop in action before I get too excited ... with these kinds of comments the bar is set really low

If there is a positive it would be that the buy in is taking place fairly quickly
    No you dumbass they prefer coach Hop over Romar said the development is way way better. They actually workout too now lol.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

They've already bought in.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

No you dumbass they prefer coach Hop over Romar said the development is way way better. They actually workout too now lol.
    Missed my point ... because Romar sucked balls the whole buying in and seeing that Hop is a way better coach isn't surprising

I want to see on court performance, how LoRo's players handle adversity (it will happen because they will not be very good), and whether the culture shift holds with the process and guys playing hard throughout the year

I've long said I'm cautiously optimistic about Hop ... but we need to see performance before we bow down to him