Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Copy and paste hilarious doog pro-Romar comments here

Comments

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,049
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    NEsnake12 said:
    after reading through its twatter/IG feed, id like to think im getting trolled/"he poasts here" but after the other comments people have made im not so sure.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,723
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    To go along with all the pro-doog comments, Ian Furness wants to remind everyone that UW is losing a lot of money and couldn't afford to buy romar out without boosters. He loves his broke ass programs.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    You want to applaud firing a shit coach? Seems like the obvious move.

Why did it take this long?
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    haie said:

To go along with all the pro-doog comments, Ian Furness wants to remind everyone that UW is losing a lot of money and couldn't afford to buy romar out without boosters. He loves his broke ass programs.

UW ran in the positive this past year, so fuck off Furness. It's one of the reasons it was probably a bit easier to take on that buyout hit.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    Bonehead move by people who know nothing about college basketball, from the UW AD to the author of this article.

Cohen let the Petersen hire get to her head. She didn't hire Petersen, Petersen picked us.

What real coach will want to come here with a bare cupboard, and an AD who just nuked the best recruiting class in the history of the program?

You guys are obsessed about the NCAA tournament, we won't see it this decade at least. With Romar we would have had a shot at it next year. We almost made it last year, but refs swallowed the whistle when OSU travelled. That call killed our program, turns out.

By giving him at least one more year, you at least get this recruiting class in the door, so we have a more attractive team with which to attract our next coach if Romar underperforms again.

This was not Willingham, not even close. The team was playing hard to the end. We just got killed by all of the early draft entries, and lack of depth. Yeah, Romar had flaws but Cohen just killed the hoop program, just like Hedges destroyed UWFootball. She thought she was smarter than Don James, too, it took two decades to fix that, and UW hoop tradition can't hold a candle to UW Football tradition.

My over/under on getting the next hire right is 3 1/2 hires. You wont get a Chris Petersen, what real coach will take over a 2-16 team, a WAC recruiting class and an AD who knows nothing about basketball but mumbles something about Championships every year? You would be lucky to get a Sark, under the circumstances.

Stupid, stupid move, due to the timing. Next year, ok, evaluate. You don't break up a 15-year marriage over one bad year.

Sign me, former Hec Ed scrub during Harshman era (Harshman was also similarly kicked out, for a much better performance....but the fallout will be the same....idiots!)
  • Options
    Founders Club
    ClearSkies
    11 hours ago

I have to disagree with Matt Calkins on this. Matt makes good and logical points, and the eventual dismissal of Coach Romar may have been inevitable, however I disagree with the timing. After such a horrible year, doesn't he deserve the chance to show that this is correctable? Even if he weren't welcoming the nation's #3 recruiting class it seems only right to give him this chance.

This is not some throw away guy, after all. He is the winningest coach in program history. A former Husky player. A guy who exudes the character of what we all want to see in college students. By jettisoning such a fine man, Jen Cohen must know that she must hire someone MUCH BETTER than Coach Romar. No lateral talent will suffice. No fill in will do.

Jen, why didn't you tell Coach Romar that he has one more year. If he makes the tournament next year, then we can talk about a contract extension, if not than we can amicably part ways. He could have gracefully left on good terms. Coach deserves a more dignified exit than what he was given.

This isn't even considering the huge effort in rebuilding that this change will take. New coaches. Lost recruits. Buy-in. Now everyone's new savior seems to be Brandon Roy. Who knows, but whoever it is he will have big shoes to fill.

It looked pretty good that next year might have been a tournament team...now, it all depends on how many of these superstar recruits decide to fulfill their commitment and who Jen hires.

All across the country, basketball courts bear the signature of their winningest coach. Coach K court, Coach Boeheim court, etc. If the UW ever wants to do this for Coach Romar, it will always be a reminder of the premature way in which he was dismissed.

Thank you Coach Romar for never embarrassing. For always taking the high road. For giving fifteen years as a coach and even more as a student-athlete. Wherever you land, the welcoming party there will be greeting a very good man.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    ^^ two of the most upvoted comments in the ST

• Options
    Founders Club
    Tone
    8 hours ago

Bad, bad, bad decision. I don't see how they retain the core of the current team nor recruits. I don't see how they establish the connection with the local community in less than 5 years. I don't see how this doesn't look like Don James Part 2. Hope I'm wrong, but if the players loved Romar so much, despite the rest, it seems the last thing you change is the coach. In the world of marketing, emotion is king.

Romar...simply, thanks. You will be missed.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

Bonehead move by people who know nothing about college basketball, from the UW AD to the author of this article.

Cohen let the Petersen hire get to her head. She didn't hire Petersen, Petersen picked us.

What real coach will want to come here with a bare cupboard, and an AD who just nuked the best recruiting class in the history of the program?

You guys are obsessed about the NCAA tournament, we won't see it this decade at least. With Romar we would have had a shot at it next year. We almost made it last year, but refs swallowed the whistle when OSU travelled. That call killed our program, turns out.

By giving him at least one more year, you at least get this recruiting class in the door, so we have a more attractive team with which to attract our next coach if Romar underperforms again.

This was not Willingham, not even close. The team was playing hard to the end. We just got killed by all of the early draft entries, and lack of depth. Yeah, Romar had flaws but Cohen just killed the hoop program, just like Hedges destroyed UWFootball. She thought she was smarter than Don James, too, it took two decades to fix that, and UW hoop tradition can't hold a candle to UW Football tradition.

My over/under on getting the next hire right is 3 1/2 hires. You wont get a Chris Petersen, what real coach will take over a 2-16 team, a WAC recruiting class and an AD who knows nothing about basketball but mumbles something about Championships every year? You would be lucky to get a Sark, under the circumstances.

Stupid, stupid move, due to the timing. Next year, ok, evaluate. You don't break up a 15-year marriage over one bad year.

Sign me, former Hec Ed scrub during Harshman era (Harshman was also similarly kicked out, for a much better performance....but the fallout will be the same....idiots!)

SpadoFS?
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    Gladstone said:

ClearSkies
    11 hours ago

I have to disagree with Matt Calkins on this. Matt makes good and logical points, and the eventual dismissal of Coach Romar may have been inevitable, however I disagree with the timing. After such a horrible year, doesn't he deserve the chance to show that this is correctable? Even if he weren't welcoming the nation's #3 recruiting class it seems only right to give him this chance.

This is not some throw away guy, after all. He is the winningest coach in program history. A former Husky player. A guy who exudes the character of what we all want to see in college students. By jettisoning such a fine man, Jen Cohen must know that she must hire someone MUCH BETTER than Coach Romar. No lateral talent will suffice. No fill in will do.

Jen, why didn't you tell Coach Romar that he has one more year. If he makes the tournament next year, then we can talk about a contract extension, if not than we can amicably part ways. He could have gracefully left on good terms. Coach deserves a more dignified exit than what he was given.

This isn't even considering the huge effort in rebuilding that this change will take. New coaches. Lost recruits. Buy-in. Now everyone's new savior seems to be Brandon Roy. Who knows, but whoever it is he will have big shoes to fill.

It looked pretty good that next year might have been a tournament team...now, it all depends on how many of these superstar recruits decide to fulfill their commitment and who Jen hires.

All across the country, basketball courts bear the signature of their winningest coach. Coach K court, Coach Boeheim court, etc. If the UW ever wants to do this for Coach Romar, it will always be a reminder of the premature way in which he was dismissed.

Thank you Coach Romar for never embarrassing. For always taking the high road. For giving fifteen years as a coach and even more as a student-athlete. Wherever you land, the welcoming party there will be greeting a very good man.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    MelloDawg said:

Sufficed to say, the tears of the doogs nourish me. I enjoy reading the ST bored, knowing that the firing (and it is a firing, not a dismissal, he was fired) turns so many people off to the program.

A firing is a dismissal is a firing
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,200
    dnc said:

MelloDawg said:

Sufficed to say, the tears of the doogs nourish me. I enjoy reading the ST bored, knowing that the firing (and it is a firing, not a dismissal, he was fired) turns so many people off to the program.

A firing is a dismissal is a firing
    Words matter to me, I am a limp wristed liberal
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2017
    I'm amazed so many dawg fans don't want their teams to win lol. All these comments are hilarious
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I'm amazed so many dawg fans don't want their teams to win lol. All these comments are hilarious

Why are you surprised? You're one of these Doogs.
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Why are you surprised? You're one of these Doogs.
    lol, I never made these comments.