Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

When Reasons Become Excuses.....

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Tequilla said:

Some of you fucks need to separate emotions from reading what you want to hear ...

I don't think anybody is saying that Smith is doing a good job ... I'm not. I've been critical of the lack of identity from the offense (thoughts echoed by Kyle Benn). I've noted that even when Smith makes a solid play call, the execution isn't always matching (which often is tied to youth).

There isn't going to be a mid-season firing. Carry the pitchforks all that you want ... not happening. He wasn't getting fired last year as he was going to get a 2nd year to prove whether he had the answers or not. I agree a lot of pressure on Petersen on how he manages this situation at season end and into the offseason as his recent track record leaves a bit to be desired.

• BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    HuskyInAZ said:

Some of those teams have a lot of cumulative starts because they played young guys and went through that fire.

UCLA was young on offense in 2012 and 2013. Arizona was young last year. SC started 3 true Frosh on the OL last year.

I think those squads got more out of the year than Peterson has.

Agree. But did they have a true freshman at QB and less than average WRs?
    I don't think that alone explains 4 or 5 wins difference. WR production is largely systemic before the catch, talent after the catch IMO.

With how poor the pac12 looks, and how competent the UW defense looks, I think you can't chalk up sub.500 ball simply to youth. Not winning 6 or 7 games after a disappointing year in 2014 I think speaks to a bigger issue.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

And, going on the theory that this is Petersen's offense and it isn't Smith's fault, then the idea would be that Petersen doesn't have the answers and needs to look to others for solutions, any change that gets made at this point is FS anyway.

This may be the case.

I'll automatically hate the next hire too. Until he proves that he can win.
    I've also compared a lot of what we're seeing right now with Petersen's first couple of years in the PAC to Patterson's first two years in the Big 12 at TCU. I see a ton of similarities. Patterson had to scrap everything he knew and stood for offensively which impacted what he was great at defensively because it wasn't working. He's reaping the rewards right now. Can Petersen do the same?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    That young OL was kicking the shit out of Cal in the running game last Saturday. They are young and bad, but Sark had some OL's that were as bad or worse. Greg Christine, Nick Wood, a freshman Shane Brostek, Atoe, Criste...

That young OL was kicking the shit out of Cal in the running game last Saturday. They are young and bad, but Sark had some OL's that were as bad or worse. Greg Christine, Nick Wood, a freshman Shane Brostek, Atoe, Criste...

You can build an offensive identity behind running the ball down hill, quick slants and comeback routes, the occasional boot & playaction plays, and an occasional play action leading to a deep shot down the field.

Not only is the identity a problem, but trying to figure out what pieces are your most useful on offense and playing to those strengths is very lacking. Expecting a lot out of the WR is probably foolish because we have a lot of either JAGs or young players that lack consistency.
    Tequilla said:

You can build an offensive identity behind running the ball down hill, quick slants and comeback routes, the occasional boot & playaction plays, and an occasional play action leading to a deep shot down the field.

Not only is the identity a problem, but trying to figure out what pieces are your most useful on offense and playing to those strengths is very lacking. Expecting a lot out of the WR is probably foolish because we have a lot of either JAGs or young players that lack consistency.
    Sounds like a coaching issue to me.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

Tequilla said:

Quite honestly, I don't get what you are arguing about. He has acknowledged that coaching is the problem with a lack of identity. This whole back and forth is absolutely stoopid.

The only difference between your two arguments is that one thinks it should be blown up right now and that Petersen isn't the guy, and the other wants to see what happens at the end of the season.

Christ.

Tequilla said:

Quite honestly, I don't get what you are arguing about. He has acknowledged that coaching is the problem with a lack of identity. This whole back and forth is absolutely stoopid.

The only difference between your two arguments is that one thinks it should be blown up right now and that Petersen isn't the guy, and the other wants to see what happens at the end of the season.

Christ.
    That is NOT the only difference. And I haven't said Petersen isn't the guy.

Thanks for reading?

Tequilla said:

Christ.

Thanks for reading?
    Haven't been able to read every single post in the back and forth between you and others.

What would you like to see done then? Just so we can get that out there in one spot I guess.

Tequilla said:

Christ.

Thanks for reading?
    Haven't been able to read every single post in the back and forth between you and others.

What would you like to see done then? Just so we can get that out there in one spot I guess.
    An offense that works. The defense and ST are young too, and yet they seem to be functional/decent.

If that means firing Smith and getting an OC that knows wtf he is doing, fine. If Pete needs to ditch his shitty system that hasn't worked in years, fine. Whatever it is, it ultimately falls on Petersen to win or GTFO.

Nothing we are seeing on offense gives any indication that things will be improved.
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Christ.
    Have you seriously read more than one person on here say Petersen should be fired now??

@ThomasFremont and I are saying the offense fucking sucks, it hasn't improved, we are losing games because of poor coaching on the offensive side of the ball not because UW is a young team, and nothing is being done to change that.

@HuskyInAZ would have you believe that the offense will magically improve next year because they will be a year older. THAT's is what is so fucking irritating

Something needs to be done about it, right fucking now, @Tequilla would have UW and Petersen wait until the season is over, but fails to realize the season is already fucking over anyways.

People with 81% of the eyesight of @GrandpaSankey can see that the offense is horrible across multiple facets of the game.

We have all fucking read this script before... Last year it was the QB's fault, this year its the fountain of youth's fault, next year (after Smith is sacrificed) it will be installing a new scheme's fault, and finally after 3 shitty fucking years we will get to have that awesome bumpercrop of wins where UW goes 9-4 and finishes 2nd in the Pac12 North.

Much like every game with Cyler at QB last year was a waste, every week with Pease and Smith coaching the players is a waste.
    I never said that you guys said Petersen should be fired, maybe I am mixing people up, but there have been some I believe that have said Petersen isn't the guy, which is fine.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, not arguing with you.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    Tequilla said:

And BTW, to @ThomasFremont and @Houhusky ... go fuck yourselves. You two are so irrational at this point that you can't get your heads out of your ass long enough to realize that those that you think are disagreeing with you are automatically doogs and not realizing that they are agreeing with about 81% of your positions.

Sounds like someone needs to separate his emotions from wanting to take the gloves off ...
    Blowing things up over and over again is a recipe for never getting anything right because there's never enough time to take hold.

What do you think happens if the playbook that has been used over the Spring, over the Summer, and now for 2+ months since the start of Fall camp is completely blown up and you start at Ground Zero during conference play? You're going to get your fucking teeth kicked in repeatedly.

The odds are very long that Smith is the answer ... nobody disputes that.

The odds are that Petersen not only needs to make a change, but needs to come to grips with himself about needing help and changing his offense over in ways that will work going forward.

What % of coordinator changes happen during the season versus the offseason? Even moreso, what % of those in-season coordinator changes happen in the first third of the season versus the back third of the season?

There's half brained, half cocked, piss and vinegar stomping up and down like a petulant child way about doing things and there's also the way things are done. They'll keep trying to find ways to improve the offense during the year ... it's most likely going to not be enough. There will be some good and bad moments. That's going to happen.

The worst thing that you can do to an offense full of young players is to blow everything up and get them in a position where they are continually thinking about what they are doing versus getting into a spot where they learn and play.

Is the season over? Yes if talking about winning the conference ... which the season was over before the year started. No if you're talking about further development of the team and the growth of the young players. There's still a lot to play for and a lot to see play out. Save the fucking pitchforks for late November.

Tequilla said:

Christ.

Thanks for reading?

If that means firing Smith and getting an OC that knows wtf he is doing, fine. If Pete needs to ditch his shitty system that hasn't worked in years, fine. Whatever it is, it ultimately falls on Petersen to win or GTFO.

Thanks for basically paraphrasing just about everything I've said over the course of the last week.

I'm convinced that you don't have a fucking clue what you're arguing about at this point. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing.
    topdawgnc said:

Tequilla said:

And BTW, to @ThomasFremont and @Houhusky ... go fuck yourselves. You two are so irrational at this point that you can't get your heads out of your ass long enough to realize that those that you think are disagreeing with you are automatically doogs and not realizing that they are agreeing with about 81% of your positions.

Sounds like someone needs to separate his emotions from wanting to take the gloves off ...
    Why do you hate the ability to do both? Abundance
    topdawgnc said:

Tequilla said:

topdawgnc said:

Tequilla said:

Some of you fucks need to separate emotions from reading what you want to hear ...

I don't think anybody is saying that Smith is doing a good job ... I'm not. I've been critical of the lack of identity from the offense (thoughts echoed by Kyle Benn). I've noted that even when Smith makes a solid play call, the execution isn't always matching (which often is tied to youth).

There isn't going to be a mid-season firing. Carry the pitchforks all that you want ... not happening. He wasn't getting fired last year as he was going to get a 2nd year to prove whether he had the answers or not. I agree a lot of pressure on Petersen on how he manages this situation at season end and into the offseason as his recent track record leaves a bit to be desired.

The only emotion I use is when I channel my anger to break @Dennis_DeYoung television.

Fire Smith ... it's Peterman's offense.

It's Peterman's system.

Just like Dick Rod has not replicated his success without White at QB ... Peterman has yet to replicate his success without Moore. Both are system guys who need system players to be successful.
    I don't disagree.

Petersen needs to figure out what the right change(s) are here. He's doing a lot of good things in the program. The offensive problems have a chance to completely sabotage his tenure here.
    No, his habit of losing will completely sabotage his tenure here.
    And if he continues losing it's VERY CLEAR that that is going to come from offensive failures.