Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

When Reasons Become Excuses.....

.....or not.

Clearly, a huge issue our offense has been playcalling. Blame whoever you want, but it's seems entirely too complicated and cute. A second issue our offense has is youth. You inbred fucks have scorched me over this one, but maybe, just maybe, a bit of data can help you see the light. I'm not holding my breath, though.

The following numbers represent the number of years of experience each P12 team had at the 5 OL positions + QB coming into this season, based on who started their last games.

ASU - 18
Oregon - 15
Stanford - 15
Cal - 14
Utah - 13
WSU - 12
Arizona - 12
USC - 12
OSU - 10
Colorado - 10
UCLA - 9
UW - 4

But I guess youth is just an excuse.....

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    reasons?... excuses?... or FACTORS? as to why we suck? I don't think you're analyzing this guud.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Some of those teams have a lot of cumulative starts because they played young guys and went through that fire.

UCLA was young on offense in 2012 and 2013. Arizona was young last year. SC started 3 true Frosh on the OL last year.

I think those squads got more out of the year than Peterson has.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Some of you fucks need to separate emotions from reading what you want to hear ...

I don't think anybody is saying that Smith is doing a good job ... I'm not. I've been critical of the lack of identity from the offense (thoughts echoed by Kyle Benn). I've noted that even when Smith makes a solid play call, the execution isn't always matching (which often is tied to youth).

There isn't going to be a mid-season firing. Carry the pitchforks all that you want ... not happening. He wasn't getting fired last year as he was going to get a 2nd year to prove whether he had the answers or not. I agree a lot of pressure on Petersen on how he manages this situation at season end and into the offseason as his recent track record leaves a bit to be desired.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,901
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Usually the youth excuse is bullshit. I blasted people on Fagman for using it as a crutch and was subsequently banned.

In this case, it has a little validity, but it doesn't make up for losing a winnable home game against a middle tier conference opponent. I cam see it in the Boise game a little though.

I still think this team will get it's shit together eventually. Take screenshots.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

1) Forces the ball to Mickens
    2) Doesnt use the senior, junior, RS FR, or sophomore TEs
    3) Doesnt consistently run the football even after it works
    4) Forces the QB to either throw it 50 yards down the field or 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage
    5) Naked Bootleg!!
    7) Marvin Hall is the deep threat
    6) Lindy package
    8) Pettis, Who??!!

1) I've specifically said elsewhere that forcing the ball to Mickens is a terrible idea
    2) Facts don't support your claims here. Perkins is the 2nd leading receiver on the team behind Washington. Daniels has the 5th most receptions on the team.
    3) No question that this is a massive indictment on SmithFS
    4) Deep routes have been more the exception than the rule ... most passes to WRs and TEs have been quick slants and 7-10 yard stop routes
    5) Naked bootleg worked great against Utah St because we established the run ... didn't work against Cal because we never tried to set up the run. Again, more of an indictment against Smith. It's actually a solid play call set to match with Browning's skills
    6) Hall's fight on the deep balls are a joke ... should earn him some bench time ... indictment of Pease IMO
    7) I understand trying to get Lindy into the game but that ship has more or less sailed ... there's a reason he only showed up for 1 play against Cal
    8) Pettis has seemingly regressed this year (Pease again)
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Usually the youth excuse is bullshit. I blasted people on Fagman for using it as a crutch and was subsequently banned.

In this case, it has a little validity, but it doesn't make up for losing a winnable home game against a middle tier conference opponent. I cam see it in the Boise game a little though.

I still think this team will get it's shit together eventually. Take screenshots.

"Eventually" gives us a broad range. Eventually, the UW will screw up and hire a real AD with balls. Said AD will hire a kick-ass head coach who doesn't have retard coordinators. Only then will we see results.

#infinitemonkeytheorem
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

Some of you fucks need to separate emotions from reading what you want to hear ...

I don't think anybody is saying that Smith is doing a good job ... I'm not. I've been critical of the lack of identity from the offense (thoughts echoed by Kyle Benn). I've noted that even when Smith makes a solid play call, the execution isn't always matching (which often is tied to youth).

There isn't going to be a mid-season firing. Carry the pitchforks all that you want ... not happening. He wasn't getting fired last year as he was going to get a 2nd year to prove whether he had the answers or not. I agree a lot of pressure on Petersen on how he manages this situation at season end and into the offseason as his recent track record leaves a bit to be desired.

The only emotion I use is when I channel my anger to break @Dennis_DeYoung television.

Fire Smith ... it's Peterman's offense.

It's Peterman's system.

Just like Dick Rod has not replicated his success without White at QB ... Peterman has yet to replicate his success without Moore. Both are system guys who need system players to be successful.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The youth excuse ALWAYS comes out at some point. I don't like it because it implies young players are going to improve as they get older. Sometimes that is true but often times players that sucked as freshmen still suck as seniors. Years ago, the UW o line was too young and just wait until they are seniors! Then they became seniors and were still terrible.

If the young players are a problem now, most likely they will still be a problem years down the road.
  • Options
    And if Petersen doesn't make a change after this year or makes an underwhelming change, then we know what we have with him as not being the long-term answer. Who is debating this?

But to think that he's firing Smith now is FS.

To think that he's going to change the offense midseason is FS.

And, going on the theory that this is Petersen's offense and it isn't Smith's fault, then the idea would be that Petersen doesn't have the answers and needs to look to others for solutions, any change that gets made at this point is FS anyway.

It's not hard to see positives in every part of the program but with the offense. Time has to play out to see what the outcome is in that regards.
  • Options
    And BTW, to @ThomasFremont and @Houhusky ... go fuck yourselves. You two are so irrational at this point that you can't get your heads out of your ass long enough to realize that those that you think are disagreeing with you are automatically doogs and not realizing that they are agreeing with about 81% of your positions.

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Some of those teams have a lot of cumulative starts because they played young guys and went through that fire.

UCLA was young on offense in 2012 and 2013. Arizona was young last year. SC started 3 true Frosh on the OL last year.

I think those squads got more out of the year than Peterson has.

Agree. But did they have a true freshman at QB and less than average WRs?
  • Options
    topdawgnc said:

Tequilla said:

The only emotion I use is when I channel my anger to break @Dennis_DeYoung television.

Fire Smith ... it's Peterman's offense.

It's Peterman's system.

Just like Dick Rod has not replicated his success without White at QB ... Peterman has yet to replicate his success without Moore. Both are system guys who need system players to be successful.
    I don't disagree.

Petersen needs to figure out what the right change(s) are here. He's doing a lot of good things in the program. The offensive problems have a chance to completely sabotage his tenure here.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

And, going on the theory that this is Petersen's offense and it isn't Smith's fault, then the idea would be that Petersen doesn't have the answers and needs to look to others for solutions, any change that gets made at this point is FS anyway.

This may be the case.

I'll automatically hate the next hire too. Until he proves that he can win.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

And BTW, to @ThomasFremont and @Houhusky ... go fuck yourselves. You two are so irrational at this point that you can't get your heads out of your ass long enough to realize that those that you think are disagreeing with you are automatically doogs and not realizing that they are agreeing with about 81% of your positions.

You're not a doog for disagreeing with us. You're a doog for running out multiple doog excuses that we have mocked for years. Are you new here???

Fuck you. Fuck your excuses.