Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Doog Day Afternoon

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,901 Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

pawz said:

I awesomed this poast, but I'm on the list by your standards.

Most great coaches have it turned around year three, if at all. Not earlier. Damone hasn't even turned up to tell us about 15 games, or whatever the fuck the metric was.

Grab a bottle of fireball, take a walk, beat your wife, get perspective.

And fuck off.
    Hi there.

http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussion/17597/elite-coaches-of-the-bcs-era-1998-2014-and-year-2/p1

See ya!
    Hi there.

You must be a duck, which is telling because CFB history is >1994. Dig a little deeper, history is on my side.

Or tell us more how you wold have fired Don James.

If we aren't near the top of the conference next year (which is always special), burn this bitch down.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Some of you need to learn the difference between understanding what the problems are and having the patience to let it play out before making the required moves versus being overly impatient and burning something to the ground the first time something doesn't go your way.

There will be changes this offseason ... if not, Petersen isn't the guy.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

The doogs are pretty fucking tired.

The whole fucking thing is tired. Race's brilliant ntd,bb anal-ology nailed it for me. I'm tired of getting doog boner kicked every season.
    I believe that Petersen is the guy, if for no other reason than if he isn't it will be well & truly time to shut the program down. Recruiting is B-B+, the defense is good bordering on very good at times. Contrary to just about everyone else, I think there is much more of an offense scheme in place now than any time last year. I can see what they are trying to do. I think if it is was clicking they way they intend, the offense would look closer to Stanford than the simplistic "spread" label that gets thrown out. But ultimately, offense is judged on wins, points, and yards, and it ain't happening.
    Awesome
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,696 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

Has this dump always been this much fun, or did I just pick the right week to show up?

Obvious answer is obvious.

Tequilla said:

Some of you need to learn the difference between understanding what the problems are and having the patience to let it play out before making the required moves versus being overly impatient and burning something to the ground the first time something doesn't go your way.

Sorry, some of us have grown impatient. Petersen needs a paradigm shift and he needs to set that in motion now. Maybe he can't fire Smith after 4 games, but they can use this BYE week to make some changes in how they call plays on offense. No more fucking random play-calling. Find what works and keep doing it until the defense stops it. It's really a simple concept. I can deal with the false starts, fumbles, and poor blocking from young guys. That's where players show their youth. But, dabbling in a little bit of run here, little bit of pass here, bubble screens & jet sweeps galore is just fucking insane. They keep doing the same shit over and over.
    Paradigm shifts rarely happen in the middle of the year.

The closest to one that I've ever seen in the UW program was James transitioning the defense in 1989 to the young kids with speed towards the end of the year. That's not really applicable here because the program has already been turned over to the youth.

The reality on the offense at this point is that it all starts with lacking an identity and purpose to what they do. Smith isn't likely to do that from what we've seen. Petersen's got to have some coming to Jesus moments the rest of this season and be willing to look himself in the mirror and get help from outside of his cocoon.

I've said it a few times, but the worst part of the offense right now is that when they do make a good play call, the execution sucks. It's a muddied mess.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,696 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Sorry, some of us have grown impatient. Petersen needs a paradigm shift and he needs to set that in motion now. Maybe he can't fire Smith after 4 games, but they can use this BYE week to make some changes in how they call plays on offense. No more fucking random play-calling. Find what works and keep doing it until the defense stops it. It's really a simple concept. I can deal with the false starts, fumbles, and poor blocking from young guys. That's where players show their youth. But, dabbling in a little bit of run here, little bit of pass here, bubble screens & jet sweeps galore is just fucking insane. They keep doing the same shit over and over.

The closest to one that I've ever seen in the UW program was James transitioning the defense in 1989 to the young kids with speed towards the end of the year. That's not really applicable here because the program has already been turned over to the youth.

The reality on the offense at this point is that it all starts with lacking an identity and purpose to what they do. Smith isn't likely to do that from what we've seen. Petersen's got to have some coming to Jesus moments the rest of this season and be willing to look himself in the mirror and get help from outside of his cocoon.

I've said it a few times, but the worst part of the offense right now is that when they do make a good play call, the execution sucks. It's a muddied mess.
    Fair enough.

As for Petersen looking himself in the mirror, I hope he's not too proud and stubborn to do so. I hope he's not too stuck on his system to just go back to basics and make good use of the talent he has on offense. If he's going to wait to have the perfect personnel in there to run his system, then it could take a long time.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Slick Rick says hi.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024

BearsWiin said:

Has this dump always been this much fun, or did I just pick the right week to show up?

Every year about this time
    It's nice to know that, in this topsy-turvy world we live in, there are still some things you can count on.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    This thread is 2031 special.

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Slick Rick says hi.
    He changed from a passing team to a team that ran the option with a QB that could run it.

Are you suggesting Browning can run the option?

Shifting towards a slightly more run based offense isn't a paradigm shift. You probably should learn what a paradigm shift means.

Moving the offense from a 50/50 run/pass split to something in the 55/45 range isn't a paradigm shift.

Tequilla said:

I hope Petersen is the guy too, but can we stop making these posts? This isn't the first time it hasn't gone Petersen's way. It's going on the 4th year. That's a large sample size.
    I'll stop making posts about how we need to wait to see what happens in the offseason and how much Petersen can (if at all) look outward for help to provide an infusion of ideas into the offensive program as soon as we can get people to stop waving the pitchforks around about what is going on right now like there's going to be a finger snap and change right now. That's fucking asinine.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    pawz said:

Gladstone said:

pawz said:

I awesomed this poast, but I'm on the list by your standards.

Most great coaches have it turned around year three, if at all. Not earlier. Damone hasn't even turned up to tell us about 15 games, or whatever the fuck the metric was.

Grab a bottle of fireball, take a walk, beat your wife, get perspective.

And fuck off.
    Hi there.

http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussion/17597/elite-coaches-of-the-bcs-era-1998-2014-and-year-2/p1

See ya!
    Hi there.

You must be a duck, which is telling because CFB history is >1994. Dig a little deeper, history is on my side.

Or tell us more how you wold have fired Don James.

If we aren't near the top of the conference next year (which is always special), burn this bitch down.
    what

you said "Most great coaches have it turned around year three, if at all. Not earlier. "

i then categorically destroyed you by referencing the year 2 thread

then you curl into a ball and accuse me of being a duck fan (lol) and use the tried-and-true doog 'you would have fired don james' bullshit line

you and people with mindsets like you poisoned and irreparably killed the program

www.dawgman.com

go. don't come back.
    How much of the change with Texas happened because of the QB change to go with it? Also, Strong being on a very hot seat had to have accelerated that - don't you think?

Big difference IMO between college and pro changes at the coordinator position. Maybe I'm wrong there.

The offense is a dumpster fire. I'll be happy just to see an identity on offense. That's the biggest piece that is missing to me.

If Smith hasn't been fired at this point, it's not happening in season. This was the time to do it if it was going to happen.

I don't think that there are many that are of the opinion that Smith likely needs to go in the offseason and Petersen needs to look in the mirror from an offensive standpoint.

But at the same time, going into the season, many were talking about letting the season play out and realizing there were going to be a lot of starts and stops to the season and that the second half likely would be better than the first. Well, we just had a stop part of the season Saturday and many have blown a gasket.

I get the need to vent ... but this was a developmental year the entire time. There are some things breaking in our favor and some areas of development happening faster than we were expecting. The offense MUST BE fixed heading into next year. I'd like to see it improve during the year and I think that will happen just from young players getting better. But it's the identity that is the issue and problem. The rest is just symptomatic of it.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Slick Rick says hi.
    He changed from a passing team to a team that ran the option with a QB that could run it.

Are you suggesting Browning can run the option?

Shifting towards a slightly more run based offense isn't a paradigm shift. You probably should learn what a paradigm shift means.

Moving the offense from a 50/50 run/pass split to something in the 55/45 range isn't a paradigm shift.
    It's an example of a shift (the thing you said never happens), not the specific shift this team needs.

Are you retarded or something?