Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Obama pushes for Solar Power North of the Arctic Circle.

124»

Comments

• OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    edited September 2015
    HuskyInAZ said:

You are the dumb fuck who said the grid could be used as a type of battery.

The operative phrase was "type of" and this was in response to somebody asking what the people do when it is cloudy or dark.

As I said earlier... high level conceptual thinking might be out of your league. You should stick to listening to Rush Limbaugh.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    Great comment, but you have still not answered the question. How the fuck is the grid a type of battery? It's not. You know it. I know it. Anyone with a pulse knows it.

If it's cloudy or dark, energy usage is primarily fossil fuel. Cut yourself off of the grid and walk the walk. Otherwise, STFU.
    HuskyInAZ said:

How the fuck is the grid a type of battery?

How many times does an example need to be over your head before you just stop trying to follow along?

You put power in when you have extra, and you take power out when you need extra. This makes it like a battery.

I'm done with your stupid schtick. If you need further help, go to college.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Electricity does not 'store' in the grid. The manditory buyback of your wind generated electricity produced at 3 am on a Sunday, is 'stored' only on your account with the power company as a credit.
    edited September 2015
    OZONE said:

HuskyInAZ said:

How many times does an example need to be over your head before you just stop trying to follow along?

You put power in when you have extra, and you take power out when you need extra. This makes it like a battery.

Perhaps a better analogy would be the power grid is more like a bank. Economically, that is true. From a power generation perspective, it is not. But a type of battery? GTFO.

This is precisely why no one with half a brain listens to the over-zealous green crowd. The intentions are likely good. But the over-the-top righteousness with complete disregard for reality is what destroys any credibility. In time, solar will have it's place in the economically feasible power generation mix. Today, sans subsidies, it's not even close to making financial sense.

Hydroelectric is by far the best solution, but the green crowd would never allow another Grand Coulee. And mountain run-off similar to NE Washington does not exist in most areas across to the US.

Nuclear is the second best solution, but once again, the green crowd will fight to its death to prevent another Three Mile Island or Fukushima incident. Lots of stupidity related to both incidents, in terms of location, construction and operation, but to throw the baby out with the bathwater isn't very smart.

Biomass/Wind/Solar bring up the rear in any rational person's mind, but they are far too expensive and they don't scale worth a shit. We should rationally subsidize to encourage development, but long term, they will always be small pieces to the puzzle.

If you want scale, look no further than Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station west of Phoenix. It generates enough power for 4,000,000 households and uses treated effluent from Phoenix as the source of its water. No earthquakes, no tidal waves, just consistent power 24 hours/day.....for the past 30 years.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    HuskyInAZ said:

OZONE said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Perhaps a better analogy would be the power grid is more like a bank. Economically, that is true. From a power generation perspective, it is not. But a type of battery? GTFO.

This is precisely why no one with half a brain listens to the over-zealous green crowd. The intentions are likely good. But the over-the-top righteousness with complete disregard for reality is what destroys any credibility. In time, solar will have it's place in the economically feasible power generation mix. Today, sans subsidies, it's not even close to making financial sense.

Hydroelectric is by far the best solution, but the green crowd would never allow another Grand Coulee. And mountain run-off similar to NE Washington does not exist in most areas across to the US.

Nuclear is the second best solution, but once again, the green crowd will fight to its death to prevent another Three Mile Island or Fukushima incident. Lots of stupidity related to both incidents, in terms of location, construction and operation, but to throw the baby out with the bathwater isn't very smart.

Biomass/Wind/Solar bring up the rear in any rational person's mind, but they are far too expensive and they don't scale worth a shit. We should rationally subsidize to encourage development, but long term, they will always be small pieces to the puzzle.

If you want scale, look no further than Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station west of Phoenix. It generates enough power for 4,000,000 households and uses treated effluent from Phoenix as the source of its water. No earthquakes, no tidal waves, just consistent power 24 hours/day.....for the past 30 years.
    You ignore the fact I've shown you two examples of how batteries are used with solar. One of them in my backyard. (For why they aren't on my home, I have an east/west facing house with trees to my south, my house is shaded in the winter and the panels would only get half a day in the summer.)

Regardless, I have a question for you. Why do you hate solar so much? It's the only power without an environmental downside. Yes it's expensive, but as with every technology, it gets cheaper with time.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,960 Founders Club
    You don't know anything about Bernie except you've heard he's a communist
    2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

OZONE said:

HuskyInAZ said:

You ignore the fact I've shown you two examples of how batteries are used with solar. One of them in my backyard. (For why they aren't on my home, I have an east/west facing house with trees to my south, my house is shaded in the winter and the panels would only get half a day in the summer.)

Regardless, I have a question for you. Why do you hate solar so much? It's the only power without an environmental downside. Yes it's expensive, but as with every technology, it gets cheaper with time.
    The only thing you've shown is how solar can charge AA batteries. We're talking about powering far more than your little toy hauler. And you can not accumulate unused energy from summer and use that energy in the winter, without batteries bigger than your house at a cost that is more than your house..

I don't hate solar, not sure where that came from. As I said, it is a piece of the puzzle. Build a couple more Grand Coulee dams and you won't have to waste your money on overpriced solar. Or build a Palo Verde in your neck of the woods, and you'll have all the power you need, without burning an ounce of fossil fuel.
  • d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    Two things this thread has clearly established is that Ozone is a fucking snob and he's an idiot.

Maybe you should move to Paris? The people there think they have all the answers and are MUCH more intelligent and sophisticated than people who went to the Ohio State University.
    d2d said:

Two things this thread has clearly established is that Ozone is a fucking snob and he's an idiot.

Maybe you should move to Paris? The people there think they have all the answers and are MUCH more intelligent and sophisticated than people who went to the Ohio State University.

From the "attorney".
  • d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    From the Leader of the Hipster Douche Bags.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,372 Founders Club
    edited September 2015
    OZONE said:

HuskyInAZ said:

This is utter fucking nonsense. If you have a license to fly a plane boat thingie, you should know that. You can't be stupid, and yet here you are, making up bullshit that even sounds dumb when you say it. I think I get your actual meaning, but what you have actually said is just flat wrong.
    I take you never studied metaphors.

Oh.. and did you forget to change handles before you responded?
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Here ya go, dumbass......

Batteries store energy from solar panels. You clearly don't get it.
    But they don't store enough to run higher voltage appliances. They store enough to run lights and some small appliances. These batteries that you speak of also contain substances that are worse than about anything short of nuclear waste to the environment.

You sure you aren't Collegedoogs burned out big brother?
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    2001400ex said:

Utilities are required by law to purchase solar and wind power ... even when it's not needed. "storing" energy in the grid is a myth.

Is your Google broken?

http://www.solarworld-usa.com/solar-for-home/home-solar-faqs

Do I get paid for my extra energy production?
    Currently, most of America is under a system known as Net Metering, which allows your net electricity costs to be reduced to zero, but no further. In a select few places in the U.S., you can be paid for any excess electricity you create, in what is known as a Feed-In Tariff system.

Is solar a viable option in cold climates?
    Yes. A general rule of thumb is that if you can clearly see your solar panels, they can produce electricity. In fact, given equal sunlight, a solar panel on a cold day will out-produce a solar panel on a hot day.

Can I take my home off the electrical grid?
    Yes, provided you install optional battery-backup systems to provide power when your demands exceed your production, such as at night. While a SolarWorld installer can help you install such a system, it is not typically recommended for several reasons. First, batteries add significant costs to your system, extending your payback period. Second, you may not be eligible for some incentives if you do not connect your system to your utility. Lastly, staying connected to the grid ensures you will rarely ever be without power, unlike batteries that have a limited lifespan and storage capacity.
    You truly are hopeless for if you even read what you cut n pasted You probably wouldn't have done it.

Did you miss the part where it said Limited storage and lifespan on the batteries. Or are you going to move the goalposts for the 3rd time this thread

Either way it won't be special. But you are very special.
    salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Utilities are required by law to purchase solar and wind power ... even when it's not needed. "storing" energy in the grid is a myth.

Is your Google broken?

Currently, most of America is under a system known as Net Metering, which allows your net electricity costs to be reduced to zero, but no further. In a select few places in the U.S., you can be paid for any excess electricity you create, in what is known as a Feed-In Tariff system.

Yes. A general rule of thumb is that if you can clearly see your solar panels, they can produce electricity. In fact, given equal sunlight, a solar panel on a cold day will out-produce a solar panel on a hot day.

Yes, provided you install optional battery-backup systems to provide power when your demands exceed your production, such as at night. While a SolarWorld installer can help you install such a system, it is not typically recommended for several reasons. First, batteries add significant costs to your system, extending your payback period. Second, you may not be eligible for some incentives if you do not connect your system to your utility. Lastly, staying connected to the grid ensures you will rarely ever be without power, unlike batteries that have a limited lifespan and storage capacity.
    You truly are hopeless for if you even read what you cut n pasted You probably wouldn't have done it.

Did you miss the part where it said Limited storage and lifespan on the batteries. Or are you going to move the goalposts for the 3rd time this thread

Holy shit, I feel more stupid after having read your post. First, have you ever seen or heard of a battery that doesn't have a limited storage capacity or lifespan?

Not to mention the point that I was making, because others were saying you can't use a battery at all. But why read for context, right?
    2001400ex said:

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Is your Google broken?

Holy shit, I feel more stupid after having read your post. First, have you ever seen or heard of a battery that doesn't have a limited storage capacity or lifespan?

Not to mention the point that I was making, because others were saying you can't use a battery at all. But why read for context, right?
    And the hole gets deeper . . .
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    2001400ex said:

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Is your Google broken?

Holy shit, I feel more stupid after having read your post. First, have you ever seen or heard of a battery that doesn't have a limited storage capacity or lifespan? Why yes, I have. Learnt in this very forum electricity can now be stored on wire then recalled on demand as needed.

Not to mention the point that I was making,...
    if you first make a point, it becomes easier to refer back to it in a way that reduces your fucktardedness emissions.