Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Obama pushes for Solar Power North of the Arctic Circle.

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    edited September 2015
    HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Here ya go, dumbass......

Batteries store energy from solar panels. You clearly don't get it.
    Really? Where are these battery farms storing all this energy? Elon Musk is working on this on a micro scale (single family homes). As of today, it's only offered in Hawaii, where homes use very little power. And at the end of the day, it's like a knat on the ass of an elephant.

Monster solar projects like you see in the SW do not store their energy in batteries. They are connected to the grid. There are not enough batteries in the world to store that power. And it would make no sense to store it anyway.

I understand you like to comment on things you have now clue about, but do you get out much?
    Your focus is so narrow, you can only see the tip of your nose. It's quite embarrassing actually.
    I apologize if my focus is limited to the OP and subsequent posts in this thread. I thought that's how it works. Silly me. Please enlighten me how I need to broaden my understanding of the fact that you don't store solar power in batteries, any more than you store nuclear power in batteries. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Ok, I'll type this slowly. You see, you can take energy from a solar panel in a home and store it in a battery. I don't mean like a rechargeable 9 volt. I mean a battery designed for this use. How do homes with solar panels use electricity at night? Excess electricity in the summer can either be stored or sold to the current electrical company, then replaced in the winter. Of course excess energy from the summer can't just be stored for use in the winter. But short term battery options are available.

Or, homes that are completely off the grid, can use solar panels to have power for at least part of the year.

The OP was saying Obama was stupid for suggesting to use solar above the arctic circle, and there are ways it makes sense. Never once did Obama suggest it would be used to be completely off the grid with power all year.

Is that a difficult concept to understand? Seriously, fifth wheels and toy haulers have this capacity, you think that's unreasonable above the arctic circle?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Utilities are required by law to purchase solar and wind power ... even when it's not needed. "storing" energy in the grid is a myth.

Utilities are required by law to purchase solar and wind power ... even when it's not needed. "storing" energy in the grid is a myth.

Is your Google broken?

http://www.solarworld-usa.com/solar-for-home/home-solar-faqs

Do I get paid for my extra energy production?
    Currently, most of America is under a system known as Net Metering, which allows your net electricity costs to be reduced to zero, but no further. In a select few places in the U.S., you can be paid for any excess electricity you create, in what is known as a Feed-In Tariff system.

Is solar a viable option in cold climates?
    Yes. A general rule of thumb is that if you can clearly see your solar panels, they can produce electricity. In fact, given equal sunlight, a solar panel on a cold day will out-produce a solar panel on a hot day.

Can I take my home off the electrical grid?
    Yes, provided you install optional battery-backup systems to provide power when your demands exceed your production, such as at night. While a SolarWorld installer can help you install such a system, it is not typically recommended for several reasons. First, batteries add significant costs to your system, extending your payback period. Second, you may not be eligible for some incentives if you do not connect your system to your utility. Lastly, staying connected to the grid ensures you will rarely ever be without power, unlike batteries that have a limited lifespan and storage capacity.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,960 Founders Club
    Solar doesn't scale. Circle back and dig down

Your (or is it you're) pussy doesn't scale. It's just a loose flab of skin waiting for that 16 inch Mexican cock.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    2001400ex said:

Your (or is it you're) pussy doesn't scale. It's just a loose flab of skin waiting for that 16 inch Mexican cock.
    You're not very good at this.

BTW, do you have solar panels on your roof?

do batteries in landfills scale?
    HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

You're not very good at this.

BTW, do you have solar panels on your roof?
    On no, I'm not the best at internet trash talking. Fuck me.

Now you are worried about the environment?
    2001400ex said:

Someone's mad
    2001400ex said:

Do you have solar panels on your roof?
    I don't worry. I simply observe your propaganda

2001400ex said:

Someone's mad
    Haha yeah no. Just baiting you. And you don't see it.
    HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

Do you have solar panels on your roof?
    Of my toy hauler. Yes.
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Someone's mad
    Haha yeah no. Just baiting you. And you don't see it.
    Looks like you took your own bait then
  • OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    edited September 2015
    HuskyInAZ said:

Solar energy displaces other forms of energy WHEN THE SUN IS OUT. Same is true for wind power. It only works when the wind is blowing. There is no "battery" in the sky.

Unclench your mind from the battery for a minute, it is obviously confusing you.

When the Sun is out in one part of the nation, then folks there are probably sending excess energy to the grid, and that excess can be used by other folks on the grid where the Sun isn't shining at the moment, same with wind.

I have no problem with nuclear as an additional form of variety on the grid, if it can be done safely. Japan's experiment had some issues though when the Earthquake and Tsunami hit...

You are the dumb fuck who said the grid could be used as a type of battery. Good to see you've aborted that position.

Today, solar provides .4% of all energy produced in the US, despite the fact that it's heavily subsidized. It is, at this point, irrelevant. Could that change in the future? Sure. And I could win the lottery. It is now, and will be for the foreseeable future, a small, supplementary source of energy.

You and your green energy fanboys fill your vehicles with petroleum, go home and flick on your lights, fire up the stove, take a hot shower.......all powered primarily by fossil fuels. Nuclear power is the answer and should be your mantra. And I'd support it. It's clean and efficient as hell.
    HuskyInAZ said:

You are the dumb fuck who said the grid could be used as a type of battery. Good to see you've aborted that position.

Today, solar provides .4% of all energy produced in the US, despite the fact that it's heavily subsidized. It is, at this point, irrelevant. Could that change in the future? Sure. And I could win the lottery. It is now, and will be for the foreseeable future, a small, supplementary source of energy.

You and your green energy fanboys fill your vehicles with petroleum, go home and flick on your lights, fire up the stove, take a hot shower.......all powered primarily by fossil fuels. Nuclear power is the answer and should be your mantra. And I'd support it. It's clean and efficient as hell.

Ozone used "battery" as a metaphor. You clearly don't get it.

Well, solar is only .4%, why invest in it then? Are you really that stupid?

Of course solar is just a compliment. It always will be. But the more we invest in these types of energy, the more we are replacing fossil fuels and delaying their depletion.
    Just stop already. Solar is really cool and hip, but you don't have it on your roof. Why? It makes absolutely no sense, even with subsidies. Despite the drivel you post on this bored, you are ultimately not dumb enough to "invest" in solar.
    HuskyInAZ said:

Just stop already. Solar is really cool and hip, but you don't have it on your roof. Why? It makes absolutely no sense, even with subsidies. Despite the drivel you post on this bored, you are ultimately not dumb enough to "invest" in solar.

Except I have it on my toy hauler to charge my battery.