Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Obama pushes for Solar Power North of the Arctic Circle.

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

Death's never heard about batteries.

Batteries that store energy collected in May/June/July for energy needs in Nov/Dec/Jan?
    photo solar-panel-houses_zps3dumvcxs.jpg
    Cool pictures. Are those solar doohickeys on the roofs of them there houses?

How about answering the question.
    Do you think the sun sets in August and doesn't come up until may? You are aware they receive just as much sun as us, right? So they can store power from November to be used.

But why try to get off fossil fuels? They have worked well so far.
    Ummmm. The Sun never gets past 40 degrees in the sky and is not up for long in November. And last I heard they use much more energy for heating in the winter than they do during the months when sunlight is abundant.

It's more playing to the base by the Panderer in charge
  • OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    HuskyInAZ said:

OZONE said:

HuskyInAZ said:

"...the grid can serve as a type of battery"? Do tell.

I didn't say it was a battery, I said it can serve as a type of battery, which means you can store electricity there when you have excess, and draw it back when you need it.

Most utilities on the grid let you send power to them if you are generating more than you use (solar, wind, etc). This is a way to store it, and they pay you for it.

When you need it again, you use it, and pay for it.

I see that high level concepts are lost on some of you guys.
    Sending your unused power to the grid means that other power sources on the grid need to produce a bit less for current demand.
    As I said, high level concepts are lost on some of you. From the perspective of the house sending it's excess to the grid, it can be thought of... and here is the tricky part that might be above your IQ... it can be *thought of* as ...storing it...

Pretty clear this is over your conceptual mind... you should probably just stick to listening to Rush Limbaugh.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,090 Founders Club
    This thread. So much stupid on both sides of the argument.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    PurpleJ said:

This thread. So much stupid on both sides of the argument.

Great argument as always SFJ.
  • d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    HuskyInAZ probably doesn't understand why hydro is NOT a renewable resource according to the government. They do that so their Green Energy bullshit looks better on paper.

For one who has actually been north of the Arctic Circle in BOTH winter and summer, I'd like to know how many Hipster Douche Bags have even been there ??? The best science always comes from Fremont ???

d2d said:

HuskyInAZ probably doesn't understand why hydro is NOT a renewable resource according to the government. They do that so their Green Energy bullshit looks better on paper.

For one who has actually been north of the Arctic Circle in BOTH winter and summer, I'd like to know how many Hipster Douche Bags have even been there ??? The best science always comes from Fremont ???

tinfoilhat.jpg

You've been to the arctic circle, so you know how solar panels work. And Palin could see Russia from her house so she knew foreign policy.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,967
    2001400ex said:

d2d said:

tinfoilhat.jpg

You've been to the arctic circle, so you know how solar panels work. And Palin could see Russia from her house so she knew foreign policy.
    Wrongly quoting someone (it was a SNL skit...not Palin who said that) to infer someone else doesn't know anything is always good...

...when your IQ is under the speed limit.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    edited September 2015
    Memo to @2001400ex and @OZONE........

Solar energy displaces other forms of energy WHEN THE SUN IS OUT. Same is true for wind power. It only works when the wind is blowing. There is no "battery" in the sky. It doesn't exist. You don't get to store your unused solar energy in the "energy cloud". The argument that you can just buy it back from the grid when you need is so fucking stupid I'm speechless. Buying it back from the grid at a future date means you are buying power generated by means other than solar, usually fossil fuel or nuclear.

If the intention is to go green, support something that doesn't have the "sun is out" limitation. Maybe something like nuclear and hydroelectric. No one wants to continue to burn carbon fuels to support our energy needs. But for someone to suggest that all we need to do is store solar energy via batteries or the the grid has no understanding how power and the grid work.

2001400ex said:

d2d said:

tinfoilhat.jpg

Wrongly quoting someone (it was a SNL skit...not Palin who said that) to infer someone else doesn't know anything is always good...

...when your IQ is under the speed limit.
    Just like "we need to pass the bill so we can see what's in it"?

I'm fully aware of her quote. She said people can see parts of Russia from Alaska, inferring she knows something about foreign policy.

The basis for the line was Governor Palin's 11 September 2008 appearance on ABC News, her first major interview after being tapped as the vice-presidential nominee. During that appearance, interviewer Charles Gibson asked her what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia, and she responded: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    HuskyInAZ said:

Solar energy displaces other forms of energy WHEN THE SUN IS OUT. Same is true for wind power. It only works when the wind is blowing. There is no "battery" in the sky. It doesn't exist. You don't get to store your unused solar energy in the "energy cloud". The argument that you can just buy it back from the grid when you need is so fucking stupid I'm speechless. Buying it back from the grid at a future date means you are buying power generated by means other than solar, usually fossil fuel or nuclear.

If the intention is to go green, support something that doesn't have the "sun is out" limitation. Maybe something like nuclear and hydroelectric. No one wants to continue to burn carbon fuels to support our energy needs. But for someone to suggest that all we need to do is store solar energy via batteries or the the grid has no understanding how power and the grid work.

Yes the future of energy is some sort of nuclear fission. Ways we can convert normal water to energy and return it to normal water (or something like that). For now, it's FS to just ignore anything that helps reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
    2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Yes the future of energy is some sort of nuclear fission. Ways we can convert normal water to energy and return it to normal water (or something like that). For now, it's FS to just ignore anything that helps reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
    Like batteries?
    HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Like batteries?
    I know you are being sarcastic, but that comment was FS.
    2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Like batteries?
    Pretty sure you were the fucktard who suggested that batteries would solve the solar problem for the Alaskans living north of the arctic circle......and then doubled down a time or two.
    HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Like batteries?
    Pretty sure you were the fucktard who suggested that batteries would solve the solar problem for the Alaskans living north of the arctic circle......and then doubled down a time or two.
    Your reading comprehension is terrible.
    edited September 2015
    Here ya go, dumbass......

HuskyInAZ said:

Batteries store energy from solar panels. You clearly don't get it.
    2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Really? Where are these battery farms storing all this energy? Elon Musk is working on this on a micro scale (single family homes). As of today, it's only offered in Hawaii, where homes use very little power. And at the end of the day, it's like a knat on the ass of an elephant.

Monster solar projects like you see in the SW do not store their energy in batteries. They are connected to the grid. There are not enough batteries in the world to store that power. And it would make no sense to store it anyway.

I understand you like to comment on things you have now clue about, but do you get out much?
    HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Really? Where are these battery farms storing all this energy? Elon Musk is working on this on a micro scale (single family homes). As of today, it's only offered in Hawaii, where homes use very little power. And at the end of the day, it's like a knat on the ass of an elephant.

Monster solar projects like you see in the SW do not store their energy in batteries. They are connected to the grid. There are not enough batteries in the world to store that power. And it would make no sense to store it anyway.

I understand you like to comment on things you have now clue about, but do you get out much?
    Your focus is so narrow, you can only see the tip of your nose. It's quite embarrassing actually.
    2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Your focus is so narrow, you can only see the tip of your nose. It's quite embarrassing actually.
    I apologize if my focus is limited to the OP and subsequent posts in this thread. I thought that's how it works. Silly me. Please enlighten me how I need to broaden my understanding of the fact that you don't store solar power in batteries, any more than you store nuclear power in batteries. Thanks in advance for your help.