Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nik Little (WR, Golden West College) to UW

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    It could always be a crazy formation where Mickens is the QB and throws a bubble screen to Lenius or Daniels while the rest of the my dream package road-grades DBs for one of them.

HFNY said:

This will give us a 5 wide set of:

6'5" Lenius
    6'4" Perkins
    6'4" Daniels
    6'5" Nik Little
    6'5" Ajamu

Cover that in 1-1 coverage, you Pac-12 midget CBs!!!1!!@!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!

Penace said:

wow he has the slowest get off I have ever seen with absolutely zero wiggle. Every ball caught is wildly contested. Im sure he has good hands and all but he will never be open. I really hope he is a walk-on. But if we are bashing the kids Im out

Won't Smith have Mickens out there to have Jeff Carta-BrowningRodriguez throw the bubble screen to?
  • Options
    OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Swaye said:

A Columbian, an Asian, and now a slow non-descript white guy. It's over.

Now you guys just need a guy from India. Bonus if he can do the head/neck waggle when he is talking trash to opposing players with a tonal inflection.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    The saving grace about being pretty deep at TE is that the offensive staff obviously doesn't have to play Marvin Hall or a true frosh (or the new JC WR) if they'd rather play Daniels, Ajamu, or Drew Sample.

I'd be totally fine with Perkins and Daniels and / or Ajamu being on the field nearly all of the time since they are better than Hall, etc.

Ajamu is listed at 6'5" 251 lbs so he be used in run blocking and stay in as a blocker to help Eldrenkamp (likely the starter at LT) and Coleman Shelton (or whoever wins the RT spot). Perkins and Daniels are match-up problems, especially against teams that talented at CB but not as good in coverage with their safeties or LBs.
    HFNY said:

It could always be a crazy formation where Mickens is the QB and throws a bubble screen to Lenius or Daniels while the rest of the my dream package road-grades DBs for one of them.

HFNY said:

This will give us a 5 wide set of:

6'5" Lenius
    6'4" Perkins
    6'4" Daniels
    6'5" Nik Little
    6'5" Ajamu

Cover that in 1-1 coverage, you Pac-12 midget CBs!!!1!!@!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!

Penace said:

wow he has the slowest get off I have ever seen with absolutely zero wiggle. Every ball caught is wildly contested. Im sure he has good hands and all but he will never be open. I really hope he is a walk-on. But if we are bashing the kids Im out

Won't Smith have Mickens out there to have Jeff Carta-BrowningRodriguez throw the bubble screen to?
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

HFNY said:

Depth can sometimes be the difference between going 6-6 (give or take a win) and going 4-8. With Ross now sitting out the year and assuming Miles is a goner, WR and QB is where the Huskies have the youngest depth for 2015.

The season was already over.

IMO, this is one of the biggest flaws in UW fan's thinking. I used to see it all the time on dawgman. And I'm not saying it about this kid. I know nothing about him.

We have sucked for so long that "depth guys" are celebrated. "This guy isn't great, but he'll provide depth so that the freshmen don't have to redshirt."

"Depth guys" should ideally be young guys with established older guys in front of them or older guys playing behind All conference/ AA types. Good teams have 2nd and 3rd stringers that could start on other PAC 12 teams, and not just on WSU or Colorado.

It's time to increase the standards now that we have a real coach. No more celebrating depth and Evan Hudson types.

So far, Petersen's recruiting has been pretty good, but we need difference makers, not guys brought in for depth. And this rant isn't to be taken at total face value or to bash Petersen. It's just a general rant. We all can see why Petersen wanted to bring in another body or two at WR and QB.
    Agreed.

I think in the ideal world you get really freaking good players in every recruiting class that can be difference makers and then you have like 3-5 guys that look elsewhere after a few years because they see they can't beat out those guys (Healthy attrition). I don't want to see 10 guys leave a recruiting class anymore like we had going on under Sark because they are just truly awful at athletics. I can handle 2-3 of those guys that are just misses, it happens. But if our like 5th worst player in a class is a guy like Evan Hudson we will be doing very well.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,210
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I saw some potential with his size and good hands. He uses his body well....

yeah... he is on the slow side... but I think he could help us *IF* we have a QB that can put the ball in spots where he has the advantage. I think this could be a decent pick up.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,449

HFNY said:

Depth can sometimes be the difference between going 6-6 (give or take a win) and going 4-8. With Ross now sitting out the year and assuming Miles is a goner, WR and QB is where the Huskies have the youngest depth for 2015.

IMO, this is one of the biggest flaws in UW fan's thinking. I used to see it all the time on dawgman. And I'm not saying it about this kid. I know nothing about him.

We have sucked for so long that "depth guys" are celebrated. "This guy isn't great, but he'll provide depth so that the freshmen don't have to redshirt."

"Depth guys" should ideally be young guys with established older guys in front of them or older guys playing behind All conference/ AA types. Good teams have 2nd and 3rd stringers that could start on other PAC 12 teams, and not just on WSU or Colorado.

It's time to increase the standards now that we have a real coach. No more celebrating depth and Evan Hudson types.

So far, Petersen's recruiting has been pretty good, but we need difference makers, not guys brought in for depth. And this rant isn't to be taken at total face value or to bash Petersen. It's just a general rant. We all can see why Petersen wanted to bring in another body or two at WR and QB.
    Agreed.

I think in the ideal world you get really freaking good players in every recruiting class that can be difference makers and then you have like 3-5 guys that look elsewhere after a few years because they see they can't beat out those guys (Healthy attrition). I don't want to see 10 guys leave a recruiting class anymore like we had going on under Sark because they are just truly awful at athletics. I can handle 2-3 of those guys that are just misses, it happens. But if our like 5th worst player in a class is a guy like Evan Hudson we will be doing very well.
    Funny to think it was Hudson, a walk-on in 2010, who beat out others in his same class like Sione Potoae, Josh Shirley, and Lawrence Lagafuaina (and Andrew Hudson before Petersen saved him).
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I love Evan Hudson disses.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

HFNY said:

Great post and probably deserves its own thread.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795

yeah... he is on the slow side... but I think he could help us *IF* we have a QB that can put the ball in spots where he has the advantage. I think this could be a decent pick up.

I more or less agree. As a stopgap guy to come in and help the WR depth THIS YEAR (similar to Tony Rodriguez at the QB position), I'm fine with this pickup.

He's clearly not fast. But long loping strides like his can exaggerate the appearance of sluggishness a bit. As a short-yardage, jump-ball target and edge blocker, it's not inconceivable he could contribute. He can definitely take a hit and come down with the ball.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    It sounds like you thought I was saying these depth guys (with slight chances of ever being starters) are the difference between 12-0 and 10-2 but I didn't say that.

Still, this coaching staff must have seen something in them right? They are both JC guys so if they can't break the two deeps in the next year or two, it doesn't hurt as much because they move on rather than taking up scholarships two or three additional years (like some guys in the 2011 and 2012 classes). Plus since the new staff arrived, WR StringfellowFS left, QB Troy Williams transferred, WR Kendly Taylor transferred, WR John Ross hurt his knee and is out for 2015, and MilesFS is likely to leave too. That's 2 QBs and 3 WRs from the 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes so the depth problem is obviously there....or do you want to ignore it, throw a fit, and insist that the staff bombed the 2015 recruiting class by not bringing in 5 star talent that could've helped at QB and WR immediately?

HFNY said:

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    Bingo.

And I'm not saying Little is going to perform like Kirby Moore and Matt Miller did for Petersen at BSU, but it looks like he appreciates 6'3"+ WRs and the big targets they offer for QBs. I like Lenius' ceiling a lot more though.

According to Rivals for the 2014 class, Petersen and Co. offered 5 WRs 6'3" and taller and 5 WRs that tall for the 2015 class (not including Little). For the 2016 class, they've already offered 6 WRs who are 6'3" and taller.
    TTJ said:

I more or less agree. As a stopgap guy to come in and help the WR depth THIS YEAR (similar to Tony Rodriguez at the QB position), I'm fine with this pickup.

He's clearly not fast. But long loping strides like his can exaggerate the appearance of sluggishness a bit. As a short-yardage, jump-ball target and edge blocker, it's not inconceivable he could contribute. He can definitely take a hit and come down with the ball.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bitching about Little is a bit premature. Unlike Sark, who whiffed often on elite prospects and offered crappy players out of desperation, Pete hasn't shown that tendency. (Has he had any attrition from his classes?)

Little didn't pop up on signing day out of nowhere. His appearance seems to correlate with what we know of Pete -- take your time, see the kid live, etc. he doesn't seem like a guy who passes out schollies just to have "a guy."

So he could be dreck, sure. But at this point, Pete -- the great evaluator and coach we think he his -- should get the benefit of the doubt.

It just so happens that sometimes unheralded players can actually ball out. And it's not like Pete isn't also recruiting highly coveted players. Basically lipo.

Now back to the Yale dawg film analysis.

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,449

HFNY said:

It sounds like you thought I was saying these depth guys (with slight chances of ever being starters) are the difference between 12-0 and 10-2 but I didn't say that.

Still, this coaching staff must have seen something in them right? They are both JC guys so if they can't break the two deeps in the next year or two, it doesn't hurt as much because they move on rather than taking up scholarships two or three additional years (like some guys in the 2011 and 2012 classes). Plus since the new staff arrived, WR StringfellowFS left, QB Troy Williams transferred, WR Kendly Taylor transferred, WR John Ross hurt his knee and is out for 2015, and MilesFS is likely to leave too. That's 2 QBs and 3 WRs from the 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes so the depth problem is obviously there....or do you want to ignore it, throw a fit, and insist that the staff bombed the 2015 recruiting class by not bringing in 5 star talent that could've helped at QB and WR immediately?

HFNY said:

As I said before, we all know why Petersen would want a couple more bodies at QB and WR. We all recognize that the talent and depth at those positions is far from ideal.

My problem is every recruit that sucks can be poo poo'd and has for as long as I have followed recruiting. I get it, fans are optimists and don't want to criticize the kids. Taylor Hindy was a good pick up because we were think on the OL and missed out on the big guns. With a couple years of development, he could be a depth guy. Same for Fuivai, Dean, Turpin, Rodgers, Petty, etc. Jordan Murchison, Qwentin Freeman, and all the other JC dreck was supposed to provide depth so that Darin Harris didn't need to redshirt. Will Dissly was supposed to spend 3 years in the weight room before hitting the two deeps. It's all just recruiting cliché bullshit. Forgive me for preferring @Dennis_DeYoung's model of basically saying this guys is really good, this guy has a chance, or this guys sucks.

No single recruit is going to kill the program, but "depth guys" (ie guys that can't play a high Pac 12 level) add up. Even Alabama and Ohio State have some of those guys, but I think it's FS to take those guys just to take them. If these guys can't play, it does hurt because it's two less guys to take this year that could possibly make an actual impact.
    I agree with your post but a legit question on the bolded part: what are the thresholds for which to measure Little this season (if he plays)? What kind of production would be "really good" versus " a chance" versus "sucks"? And I'm not forcing you to pick now, just sometime before the season starts.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

HFNY said:

HFNY said:

As I said before, we all know why Petersen would want a couple more bodies at QB and WR. We all recognize that the talent and depth at those positions is far from ideal.

My problem is every recruit that sucks can be poo poo'd and has for as long as I have followed recruiting. I get it, fans are optimists and don't want to criticize the kids. Taylor Hindy was a good pick up because we were think on the OL and missed out on the big guns. With a couple years of development, he could be a depth guy. Same for Fuivai, Dean, Turpin, Rodgers, Petty, etc. Jordan Murchison, Qwentin Freeman, and all the other JC dreck was supposed to provide depth so that Darin Harris didn't need to redshirt. Will Dissly was supposed to spend 3 years in the weight room before hitting the two deeps. It's all just recruiting cliché bullshit. Forgive me for preferring @Dennis_DeYoung's model of basically saying this guys is really good, this guy has a chance, or this guys sucks.

No single recruit is going to kill the program, but "depth guys" (ie guys that can't play a high Pac 12 level) add up. Even Alabama and Ohio State have some of those guys, but I think it's FS to take those guys just to take them. If these guys can't play, it does hurt because it's two less guys to take this year that could possibly make an actual impact.
    I agree with your post but a legit question on the bolded part: what are the thresholds for which to measure Little this season (if he plays)? What kind of production would be "really good" versus " a chance" versus "sucks"? And I'm not forcing you to pick now, just sometime before the season starts.
    Let me help out here: this guy sucks.

I've had a few guys I was sure were horrible and this guy is one of them.

Andrew Kirkland, Taylor "he's a long snapper, tho!!" Hindy and Blake Rodgers were recent guys I felt sure were awful.

I've never seen a WRs film suck as bad as this guy. Even DaJuan Hawkins' was better.

Also, the QB is terrible.

The only sense this makes is the possibility that their game film is weird because of the JC-level and it's hard to read.

Pete should know what he's doing, though, so I'm just completely confused.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I agree, it is confusing because they don't jump out on film and nobody else from the Pac-12 offered them.

But, people were saying the same thing about Dissly and that he was a reach / depth guy but then he made a few plays as a true frosh (that goal-line stop on 4th down @ Cal was awesome)...now he's looking like he'll be the #1 guy at Andrew Hudson's old spot.

From this staff's track record at BSU and what we've seen so far from their 2014 class, these guys know how to recruit and aren't star f*ckers like Sark and Neu are. Can't we trust the staff that these guys will add value for 2 years, at least until the evidence on the Pac-12 field says otherwise?

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens because a few on here are saying these guys suck and the staff is implicitly saying they don't so who will be right?

Either way it will be interesting ;););););)

HFNY said:

HFNY said:

Let me help out here: this guy sucks.

I've had a few guys I was sure were horrible and this guy is one of them.

Andrew Kirkland, Taylor "he's a long snapper, tho!!" Hindy and Blake Rodgers were recent guys I felt sure were awful.

I've never seen a WRs film suck as bad as this guy. Even DaJuan Hawkins' was better.

Also, the QB is terrible.

The only sense this makes is the possibility that their game film is weird because of the JC-level and it's hard to read.

Pete should know what he's doing, though, so I'm just completely confused.