Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offensive Depth for Spring

Spring ball starts in 12 days, and I'm bored, so here's a list of the scholarship players on offense for this spring. Returning starters are bolded. Players who played their positions (not just special teams) in 2014 are italicized.

QB (3)
Jeff Lindquist, JR
KJ Carta-Samuels, FR
Jake Browning, FR

RB (4)
Deontae Cooper, SR
Dwayne Washington, JR
Lavon Coleman, SO

Jomon Dotson, FR

WR (4)
Jaydon Mickens, SR
Marvin Hall, SR
Dante Pettis, SO
Brayden Lenius, SO

TE (4)
Josh Perkins, SR
Darrell Daniels, JR

David Ajamu, SO
Drew Sample, FR

OL (13)
Dexter Charles, SR
Siosifa Tufunga, SR
Jake Eldrenkamp, JR

Shane Brostek, JR
Cory Fuavai, JR
Coleman Shelton, SO
Andrew Kirkland, SO

Dane Crane, SO
Kaleb McGary, FR
Jesse Sosebee, FR
Matt James, FR
John Turner, FR
Devin Burleson, FR

That's 28 scholarship players this Spring, not counting John Ross or anyone else splitting time between Off/Def this spring. Of those 28 players, 5 are starters from 2014 (Pettis started the last 5 games), 10 more saw action in 2014, and 13 are essentially "new" under the Petersen regime.

Considering the lack of depth, that means there'll be a lot of one-on-one time with the coaches, especially for the QBs and WRs. I'm sure the OL will be fluid this spring, trying many different combinations, so I wouldn't read much into that until the Spring "Preview" at the end of April. It'll be interesting to see what Petersen, Smith, and the new Offensive Quality coach Hamdan do with the offense, considering how pitiful it was last year. I expect they'll make major changes now that they have QBs who can throw the ball downfield now.

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2015
    There is a lot of upperclassman on the offisive line, PM to Petersen, Win or GTFO
  • Options
    YeahILikeDawgsYeahILikeDawgs Member Posts: 34
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Anybody missing spring practice due to injury or surgery? I can't remember. Always seems to be a few.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    Seriously though, thanks for putting the list together. There is definitely a LOT of inexperience there. This could actually be a good thing, as the coaches won't have to fix any bad habits the players may have picked up from the previous staff.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,477

Anybody missing spring practice due to injury or surgery? I can't remember. Always seems to be a few.

Good point.

We could use the combine as a surrogate measure since if they weren't participating there, they likely won't be practicing this spring. If that's the case, sounds like it's only Ross.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    take this to the football bored.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

There is a lot of upperclassman on the offisive line, PM to Petersen, Win or GTFO

I don't know if there is a lot....it's half....as it should be.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you don't like this roster, thank Sark. As far as buy-in... you have to think the surviving upper classmen have found a way to buy in to the Peterman way. The others gtfo, by now, I would assume.

Next years roster will feature a transition class plus two full years of recruiting. We know how questionably Sark recruited in 2009, 2010 and 2011... and how that played out in 2013-14. I'd bet one year from today, that roster has many fewer Sark players on it. They'll be crowded out by okg's staying enrolled and developing... and Peterman signing full balanced classes that make it to school.
  • Options
    PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Its a pretty shit roster offensively at least on paper. One can expect material improvement at the QB spot, so there is that.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Penace said:

Its a pretty shit roster offensively at least on paper. One can expect material improvement at the QB spot, so there is that.

Why? because the one guy with game experience was shittier than Cyler Miles?

It's certainly possible that magna carta or brownling are an improvement, but I'm not sure why we should expect it.

If QB play is worse this year than it was last year, I expect this bored to be awesome.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Dardanus said:

Penace said:

It's certainly possible that magna carta or brownling are an improvement, but I'm not sure why we should expect it.

If QB play is worse this year than it was last year, I expect this bored to be awesome.
    This bored is a household favorite url following (and during) every loss.
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Dardanus said:

Penace said:

Lindy needs to seriously step the fuck up. This OL isn't mature enough to protect Fresh QBs.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    might as well have fuckin' nobody at quarterback. Does Felix sweetman have eligibility?
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    If I could quote someone of influence from DMC, "Woody gets it."

Why are any of you surprised we're 14 years into a non-existent rebuilding plan?
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

might as well have fuckin' nobody at quarterback. Does Felix sweetman have eligibility?

Nobody at quarterback? Tried that last year, doesn't work...
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015