Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offensive Depth for Spring

Comments

• Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2015

There is a lot of upperclassman on the offisive line, PM to Petersen, Win or GTFO

I'm not convinced that is automatically a good thing. Either they're good, or somebody should have run them off by now.

At least Peterman isn't bashful about running off Sark's boys. Keep it up. Peterman shares your feelings about play my way or GTFO.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,988
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

If you don't like this roster, thank Sark. As far as buy-in... you have to think the surviving upper classmen have found a way to buy in to the Peterman way. The others gtfo, by now, I would assume.

Next years roster will feature a transition class plus two full years of recruiting. We know how questionably Sark recruited in 2009, 2010 and 2011... and how that played out in 2013-14. I'd bet one year from today, that roster has many fewer Sark players on it. They'll be crowded out by okg's staying enrolled and developing... and Peterman signing full balanced classes that make it to school.

They'll also graduate another class of Sark's recruits too. In other news, water is wet.
  • Options
    YeahILikeDawgsYeahILikeDawgs Member Posts: 34
    Doogles said:

I actually expect Mickens to tear shit up his senior season. The only thing I got out of the bowl game is at least he gives a fuck and tries hard.

My theory depends on him watching the game film and understanding how devastating he can be when he gets up field. The time for the razzle dazzle is in the second level, you need to get north before you think about it.

If that lesson is learned, I think he'll be the surprise of the season, perhaps the beneficiary of quick dump offs by the young QBs.

Yes sometimes I he tries so hard to catch the ball that he doesn't catch the ball. He was best catching bubble screens. Carta and Lindquist can hopefuly get him the ball quicker than Miles could.
  • Options
    YeahILikeDawgsYeahILikeDawgs Member Posts: 34

Anybody missing spring practice due to injury or surgery? I can't remember. Always seems to be a few.

Good point.

We could use the combine as a surrogate measure since if they weren't participating there, they likely won't be practicing this spring. If that's the case, sounds like it's only Ross.
    based on Jude's interview with Kwawwtitowcwoski sounds like Feeney is out for spring practice.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2015
    I've had the same attitude for ten years. No coach, with a full off-season, has had a sub top 40 class at Washington since the early 70s or so. There's at worst top 25 or 30 talent. So coach them up, develop them, and win some games. Every team plays freshmen. I don't expect this foreboding, giveaway 6-6 season, not if Petersen is half of what we think he is.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I feel like I haven't been able to make the assumption that "player X will be better next season" in god knows how long. Over the last decade players just haven't really gotten better from when they entered to when the left the program. Other than the general getting bigger and "growing into their body" type of improvement I can't think of a player whose skills appreciated significantly from one season to the next.

There is plenty of talent on the offense. Coleman has good vision between the tackles, Washington is a home run hitter once he gets to the second level and Pettis has shown he is dangerous with the ball in his hand on O and special teams. Is it crazy to think that some of those guys could actually get better from last year to this year?
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2015
    Dexter Charles, SR
    Siosifa Tufunga, SR
    Jake Eldrenkamp, JR
    Shane Brostek, JR

Eldrenkamp and Brostek have to be halfway decent with all the gym time and maturity, or Petersen is not who I thought he was. That's more than I can say of last years starters who were a total drekfest, with two star to first round Atoe leading the way.

Coleman Shelton, SO
    Andrew Kirkland, SO
    Dane Crane, SO

At least 2 of the 3 will break through next year and should definitely be an upgrade. Besides these are Petersen's guys, so fuck off with that young excuse. If Dane Crane is who we thought he was when he was recruited, and isn't hiking the ball into the end zone, we have an immediate upgrade with the qb position.
    Now if this line is an upgrade of Sark's bullshit line, Washington and Coleman, supplemented by the old man, aka 2 knees Cooper, should actually produce. If these guys are coached up at all, if not fuck them, play the 2 freshman. Have we really given up on Linquist, because of 1/2 of a game football, because the first half he was not that bad? How hard can it be to take a 3 step drop throw long to Ross, across the middle to Daniels or dump off to Mickens? He may be serviceable with a decent line not playing 1 Mississippi, and decent running game. I seriously don't see how this years offense is worse than last year. So really he needs to win or GTFO.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Dexter Charles, SR
    Siosifa Tufunga, SR
    Jake Eldrenkamp, JR
    Shane Brostek, JR

Eldrenkamp and Brostek have to be halfway decent with all the gym time and maturity, or Petersen is not who I thought he was. That's more than I can say of last years starters who were a total drekfest, with two star to first round Atoe leading the way.

Coleman Shelton, SO
    Andrew Kirkland, SO
    Dane Crane, SO

At least 2 of the 3 will break through next year and should definitely be an upgrade. Besides these are Petersen's guys, so fuck off with that young excuse. If Dane Crane is who we thought he was when he was recruited, and isn't hiking the ball into the end zone, we have an immediate upgrade with the qb position.
    Now if this line is an upgrade of Sark's bullshit line, Washington and Coleman, supplemented by the old man, aka 2 knees Cooper, should actually produce. If these guys are coached up at all, if not fuck them, play the 2 freshman. Have we really given up on Linquist, because of 1/2 of a game football, because the first half he was not that bad? How hard can it be to take a 3 step drop throw long to Ross, across the middle to Daniels or dump off to Mickens? He may be serviceable with a decent line not playing 1 Mississippi, and decent running game. I seriously don't see how this years offense is worse than last year. So really he needs to win or GTFO.

Not one of the SR, JR, or SO linemen are "Petersen's guys". Unless a RSFR cracks the rotation, this will be another year of "Sark's bullshit lines". To your point, that's not to say the upperclassmen can't develop, but there are only 3 guys who have played and have not sucked balls (Charles, Tufunga, Shelton). I don't expect miracles this year.
  • Options
    halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 212
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

And, to wrap up my survey of our offensive depth, it strikes me that trying to think about our OL in any serious way is like diving into a lake and immediately being enveloped by polluted, slimy ribbons of algae.

Haven't seen any ranting this good in a long long while, not since Race died of aids ...
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I think it is insane to think of starting a freshman at QB, spring ball or no. Sure, it had worked, but rarely. QB is the most difficult position technically and he carries a disproportionate responsibility. If our head coach goes there he is desperate. It's not going to fucking work. As much as it pains some of you assholes -- the apostle is usually right.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2015
    You're right, we are fucked... But seriously, if you are stating Charles, Tufunga, Shelton And you already said they are Not sucking balls. , Dane Crane Has to be an upgrade 3 years in. Not to mention Eldrenkamp and Brostek. Add Petersen's Guys to that mix, RS Frosh and incoming Frosh I just don't buy it. Saying the offense will be a drekfest is FS. I certainly expected more of this coaching staff
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

I think it is insane to think of starting a freshman at QB, spring ball or no. Sure, it had worked, but rarely. QB is the most difficult position technically and he carries a disproportionate responsibility. If our head coach goes there he is desperate. It's not going to fucking work. As much as it pains some of you assholes -- the apostle is usually right.

So, what would YOU do?... go to Walmart QB depth?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,526
    Standard Supporter
    There's really only one player on offense that I'm worried about replacing and that is Hatchie. Coleman Shelton, McGary, Eldrenkamp, and maybe even Andrew Kirkland figure in at one or both of the OT spots. I'm looking forward to seeing Coleman Shelton in his RS-Soph year after getting some starts at RT in 2014 and McGary in spring ball. Does anyone know if McGary and Eldrenkamp are specifically working at LT or RT?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Ross for sure isn't going back to offense? He's a potential superstar at WR and only through some of the worst offensive coordinating I've ever seen was he neutered and kicked over to defense.

Maddening.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Gladstone said:

Ross for sure isn't going back to offense? He's a potential superstar at WR and only through some of the worst offensive coordinating I've ever seen was he neutered and kicked over to defense.

Maddening.

Have you ever actually watched him play?

He is Michael Bates 2.0.

I think most of his life he has simply been faster than everyone else. Now that he actually has to work to get open, he cannot get open.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Maddening.

He is Michael Bates 2.0.

I think most of his life he has simply been faster than everyone else. Now that he actually has to work to get open, he cannot get open.
    Ross is pretty amazing with the ball in his hands. He doesn't seem that great at getting the ball in his hands. Most assume it's on the QB and OC. I'm not sure. Receivers aren't easy to watch on TV until the ball gets thrown to them.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,474

Gladstone said:

Maddening.

He is Michael Bates 2.0.

This can be fixed by a few things. Better coaching, better QB, and better OC.

All three of these things should improve this season, but the degree to which they are fixed is unknown at this point.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2015

Gladstone said:

Maddening.

He is Michael Bates 2.0.

he is absolutely electric and a threat to house it every time the ball is in his hands

and he's faster than 99% of DBs

come on