Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Finally viewed the UCLA-Oregon replay.

TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
The Bruins' passing game looked out of sync the whole game. Hundley was erratic, threw into coverage a lot, and his vaunted WRs didn't do shit to help him out. (Sound familiar?)

Even so -- and despite their well documented OL woes -- UCLA absolutely ran the ball at will on the Ducks: 328 rush yards, 6.1 yds/carry, 11-19 third down efficiency, 2-2 fourth down efficiency, and a nearly 2:1 TOP margin. The Bruins outgained Oregon by every offensive measure. I would not have guessed this at all from the score and highlights.

It's not news that Oregon has a vulnerable defense. But they really got manhandled in this game. UW should be able to run consistently on them -- Miles included. If you can limit their big plays, Oregon looks to me like an extremely beatable team.

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,592
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    Problem is that the game just seemed over after Hundley coughed it up and they scored.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    260 of UCLA's 550-odd yards were in garbage time. Yes, we shouldn't have closed up shop at the start of the fourth quarter. But we did, because of Don Pellum's conversion to the Nation of Islam.
    UCLA was running at will in the first half too. Especially Hundley. Then Perkins had a big third quarter.

I agree with everything @AZDuck‌ wrote (in another thread) about UO's tackling and gap integrity issues. @Damone has been asking when UW is going to play another defense as shitty as Cal's. I think the answer is *this week*.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    TTJ said:

260 of UCLA's 550-odd yards were in garbage time. Yes, we shouldn't have closed up shop at the start of the fourth quarter. But we did, because of Don Pellum's conversion to the Nation of Islam.
    I agree with everything @AZDuck‌ wrote (in another thread) about UO's tackling and gap integrity issues. @Damone has been asking when UW is going to play another defense as shitty as Cal's. I think the answer is *this week*.

Our defense is godawful, that's for sure. I just think that UW's offense is worse. Even more aggravating from my point of view is that we will make Miley Cyrus look like a good QB. He will have his best day, statistically speaking, since the EWU game. Still, your lack of a running game or recievers with non-igneous hands will prevent UW from capitalizing.

• Options
    AZDuck said:

TTJ said:

Our defense is godawful, that's for sure. I just think that UW's offense is worse. Even more aggravating from my point of view is that we will make Miley Cyrus look like a good QB. He will have his best day, statistically speaking, since the EWU game. Still, your lack of a running game or recievers with non-igneous hands will prevent UW from capitalizing.

You might be right (although I think you're underestimating UW's ground game). I don't see Oregon covering a -21, though.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Agree. We're not going to cover. Halfrich is also shitty ATS
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,652
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I like the doogs in this one.

Seriously, I do. I'm drinking the kool-aid.

Our d-line is only giving up 3.1 yards per rushing attempt, and I think our secondary is VASTLY improved since the start of the year.

If we score over 28, we will win this game. I don't think Oregon scores more than that.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,316
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Coach Pete can always resort to the Nick Holt Blueprint
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2014

Our d-line is only giving up 3.1 yards per rushing attempt, and I think our secondary is VASTLY improved since the start of the year.

If we score over 28, we will win this game. I don't think Oregon scores more than that.

Do you have red S's on your helmets? No. You couldn't hold EWU to under 50 points and you think you'll hold Oregon to under 30? That's some potent kool aid you're drinking.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,477
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Do you have red S's on your helmets? No. You couldn't hold EWU to under 50 points and you think you'll hold Oregon to under 30? That's some potent kool aid you're drinking.
    I shouldn't even respond to your quack ass, but our D has significantly improved since EWU. It's possible, and since i'm doogin and picking the daWgs, it's most likely happening in a low scoring affair versus a shoot out.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,652
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

The young secondary was the problem in that game, and they've improved rapidly.

Cal was averaging 50+ and throwing for 450+ a game, and our D fucked them up...@ Cal. Not a lot of wide open Bear receivers running down the field, which was the issue in the EWU game.

That same Cal offense gave Arizona's defense FITS in the desert....and Arizona's defense didn't seem too intimidated in Autzen.

I know the transitive property doesn't mean shit, but UW has the potential to give your offense problems. If your RBs are getting stuffed and Mariota can't find lanes to run through, you're legitimately in trouble. You won't win by passing alone.

Meanwhile, I think Coleman/Washington are going to have a field day against your front seven. This game all comes down to the UW o-line. It's time for them to man the fuck up. If they open lanes for the RBs and give Cyler time to throw, you're toast.
  • Options

The doogman posters all seem to think Oregon wins big. That alone makes me want to predict a win. I enjoy reading that a guy with 0 INT's is going to throw multiple pick 6's and it's impossible for Miles to beat Oregon, even though outstanding QB's such as Vanilla Vick and Kevin Hogan have done so. I also like seeing Ducks on this board overcompensate and act like everything is peachy after the UCLA game.

@Tequilla called it last week when he guaranteed a win because the LPT all predicted a loss. If WSU and Arizona can play with Oregon, no reason to think UW can't. Defense and coaching wins games. We have the edge there.

You're forgetting something here. In those two games Mariota was sacked 12 times. Against UCLA, zero sacks. Fisher's return seems to have reignited the O-line and Oregon is close to being back to the team it was against Michigan State. We still have Helfrich, and that's a con, but if the o-line is really back, watch out.
  • Options

The doogman posters all seem to think Oregon wins big. That alone makes me want to predict a win. I enjoy reading that a guy with 0 INT's is going to throw multiple pick 6's and it's impossible for Miles to beat Oregon, even though outstanding QB's such as Vanilla Vick and Kevin Hogan have done so. I also like seeing Ducks on this board overcompensate and act like everything is peachy after the UCLA game.

@Tequilla called it last week when he guaranteed a win because the LPT all predicted a loss. If WSU and Arizona can play with Oregon, no reason to think UW can't. Defense and coaching wins games. We have the edge there.

You're forgetting something here. In those two games Mariota was sacked 12 times. Against UCLA, zero sacks. Fisher's return seems to have reignited the O-line and Oregon is close to being back to the team it was against Michigan State. We still have Helfrich, and that's a con, but if the o-line is really back, watch out.
    That is the $1,000,000 question. Did your OL look better because UCLA only has 7 sacks in 6 games? Danny Shelton has the same amount by himself. Or does Fisher actually make the OL legit? I would assume it's a bit of both. I know Fisher is solid, but if Kikaha can get pressure and sacks on Andrus Peat, I think he can get them on Fisher. He moves around too and will go against Crosby at times as well.
    Another interesting thing will be Joe Walker. He's a beast at linebacker and played like a monster against UCLA. Our coaches really are FS if they don't unleash him on the Huskies.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Until we can prevent being boat raced in the third quarter of an Oregon game, I don't see us having much of a chance. But if this is the year we do, it will be a nail biter to the end. Since I threw away game predicting purple lens, I'm saying 34-17 Ducks. Please prove me wrong Dawgs...