Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Finally viewed the UCLA-Oregon replay.

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    This is a game that could have a wide range of outcomes mostly due to Mariotta against the UW front 7. Maybe UO's OL is good enough to allow him to win the matchup. However, maybe it isn't much better than it was against Arizona and UW's front 7 is a lot better than Arizona's. Maybe the OL is back to full strength giving UO clear advantage. You just don't know. Anyway, it will be interesting.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    In all seriousness, I see +21 as Vegas being ridiculous.

Football is a 3 phase game with coaching also needing to be considered in the equation.

Offense: Clearly Oregon has an advantage here. Turnovers will be a big issue in this game as neither team has thrown an INT so far this year. We're +14 in turnover margin while Oregon is +9. IMO, this is going to be a key element in this game as our defense needs to find ways to create a few turnovers. UW needs to be able to churn out one of their best efforts on the ground in this game and it wouldn't hurt to get a few touches for Shaq in this game. Miles will need to be able to make 2-3 key throws in the passing game.

Defense: We are giving up 21 a game compared to 24 per game for Oregon. We're now giving up under 400 yards per game and are giving up close to 80 yards fewer per game than Oregon. Our ability to create turnovers is also better. This is a phase of the game that the UW MUST win if it is going to beat Oregon.

Special Teams: We appear to have a decided edge in the kicking game. Van Winkle is a legitimate threat to make a FG whereas Oregon's only attempted 4 FGs this year (and none from 40 or beyond). The punting game appears to be relatively even although Durkee's performance against Stanford would lead one to believe that his ability to perform in a big game could be an advantage for us. Once an area where Oregon exploited opponents, their special teams have so far been pedestrian by their standards leading me to believe that we may have an edge in the return game.

Coaching: Petersen >>> Helfrich. No comments needed here.

So when you break it down, this is really a strength on strength and weakness on weakness game. It will be absolutely critical for our front 7 to be able to control the LOS against Oregon. With Shelton's ability to dominate the middle, I like our ability to at least be able to force Oregon to have to slowly move the ball down the field if they focus on the up the middle runs (and patience isn't their strength). Our ability to then focus some of our LB play to maintain the edges as well as to penetrate up the field will disrupt Oregon's east/west running game. One area of concern that I do have is that if our front is able to get enough pressure on Mariota such that he steps up in the pocket and kills us on scramble runs ... so rush integrity will be important. IF we're able to make Oregon fairly one dimensional in the passing game, that's historically been a sign of being able to beat them. Offensively, we need to be able to sustain drives and ensure that we're consistently winning the field position battle. It's imperative that if we don't score on drives, we force Oregon to go long fields to score TDs. If we can get to +2 in the turnover game, then I'm really liking our chances.

In the end, I don't see Oregon scoring in the 40s on us this year with our ability to get up the field on just about everybody we've played combined with Oregon's problems on the OL. I'd be surprised if they got in the 30s unless we help them with turnovers or special teams play. I do think that Oregon's defense has shown consistent struggles this year against the run without sacrificing the pass. We're hitting the part of the season where I think we can expect Miles to put together a game where you start scratching your head wondering where that came from in the good way (see the Swoopes kid from Texas last week against Oklahoma). A defensive and/or special teams score would be absolutely huge for us.

Finally, there's a certain arrogance that I see from Oregon wearing the 1994 uniforms against us. It's a bit of a rubbing our noses in the past as well as going to the Lane Kiffin school of shit talking with the whole Duckade of Dominance. We know that the streak is going to end at some point. We know that the UW for the first time in the last 11 years has the best HC on the sideline. And quite possibly for the first time in that time period we have the better defense. I'm not sure we win this game or not. But I'd be absolutely shocked if we got to the 4th quarter this year and we weren't in position to win the game. The more I see of the conference, the more I'm convinced that the best unit in the conference is Stanford's defense. I think the UW defense is in the Top 3-5 units in the conference. I also think that Stanford's still probably the best team in the conference. We should have no fear going into this game.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

This is a game that could have a wide range of outcomes mostly due to Mariotta against the UW front 7. Maybe UO's OL is good enough to allow him to win the matchup. However, maybe it isn't much better than it was against Arizona and UW's front 7 is a lot better than Arizona's. Maybe the OL is back to full strength giving UO clear advantage. You just don't know. Anyway, it will be interesting.

This is the key to the game. If UW's defense plays like it did against Cal, Oregon is in real trouble, in fact I think the Huskies win this game if they do. That said, I'm still in LIPO mode with UW, haven't seen near enough in terms of complete play from them to go full doog yet, but they are clearly improving as the season goes on. Win or lose, we'll know better where the Huskies are in their development after this game.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2014

I like the doogs in this one.

Seriously, I do. I'm drinking the kool-aid.

Our d-line is only giving up 3.1 yards per rushing attempt, and I think our secondary is VASTLY improved since the start of the year.

If we score over 28, we will win this game. I don't think Oregon scores more than that.

Do you have red S's on your helmets? No. You couldn't hold EWU to under 50 points and you think you'll hold Oregon to under 30? That's some potent kool aid you're drinking.
    PGOS- OBK is right you know. No way they hold em to 28... aint happening.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Football is a 3 phase game with coaching also needing to be considered in the equation.

Offense: Clearly Oregon has an advantage here. Turnovers will be a big issue in this game as neither team has thrown an INT so far this year. We're +14 in turnover margin while Oregon is +9. IMO, this is going to be a key element in this game as our defense needs to find ways to create a few turnovers. UW needs to be able to churn out one of their best efforts on the ground in this game and it wouldn't hurt to get a few touches for Shaq in this game. Miles will need to be able to make 2-3 key throws in the passing game.

Defense: We are giving up 21 a game compared to 24 per game for Oregon. We're now giving up under 400 yards per game and are giving up close to 80 yards fewer per game than Oregon. Our ability to create turnovers is also better. This is a phase of the game that the UW MUST win if it is going to beat Oregon.

Special Teams: We appear to have a decided edge in the kicking game. Van Winkle is a legitimate threat to make a FG whereas Oregon's only attempted 4 FGs this year (and none from 40 or beyond). The punting game appears to be relatively even although Durkee's performance against Stanford would lead one to believe that his ability to perform in a big game could be an advantage for us. Once an area where Oregon exploited opponents, their special teams have so far been pedestrian by their standards leading me to believe that we may have an edge in the return game.

So when you break it down, this is really a strength on strength and weakness on weakness game. It will be absolutely critical for our front 7 to be able to control the LOS against Oregon. With Shelton's ability to dominate the middle, I like our ability to at least be able to force Oregon to have to slowly move the ball down the field if they focus on the up the middle runs (and patience isn't their strength). Our ability to then focus some of our LB play to maintain the edges as well as to penetrate up the field will disrupt Oregon's east/west running game. One area of concern that I do have is that if our front is able to get enough pressure on Mariota such that he steps up in the pocket and kills us on scramble runs ... so rush integrity will be important. IF we're able to make Oregon fairly one dimensional in the passing game, that's historically been a sign of being able to beat them. Offensively, we need to be able to sustain drives and ensure that we're consistently winning the field position battle. It's imperative that if we don't score on drives, we force Oregon to go long fields to score TDs. If we can get to +2 in the turnover game, then I'm really liking our chances.

In the end, I don't see Oregon scoring in the 40s on us this year with our ability to get up the field on just about everybody we've played combined with Oregon's problems on the OL. I'd be surprised if they got in the 30s unless we help them with turnovers or special teams play. I do think that Oregon's defense has shown consistent struggles this year against the run without sacrificing the pass. We're hitting the part of the season where I think we can expect Miles to put together a game where you start scratching your head wondering where that came from in the good way (see the Swoopes kid from Texas last week against Oklahoma). A defensive and/or special teams score would be absolutely huge for us.

Finally, there's a certain arrogance that I see from Oregon wearing the 1994 uniforms against us. It's a bit of a rubbing our noses in the past as well as going to the Lane Kiffin school of shit talking with the whole Duckade of Dominance. We know that the streak is going to end at some point. We know that the UW for the first time in the last 11 years has the best HC on the sideline. And quite possibly for the first time in that time period we have the better defense. I'm not sure we win this game or not. But I'd be absolutely shocked if we got to the 4th quarter this year and we weren't in position to win the game. The more I see of the conference, the more I'm convinced that the best unit in the conference is Stanford's defense. I think the UW defense is in the Top 3-5 units in the conference. I also think that Stanford's still probably the best team in the conference. We should have no fear going into this game.

Disagree, even if somewhere in there you picked UW to win 81-0.
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    Lol. I saw STAN @ UW. Peterman can go toe to toe on "fucking stupid coaching" with anyone in the game.

Push with Slingblade,
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,878
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Canard said:

Lol. I saw STAN @ UW. Peterman can go toe to toe on "fucking stupid coaching" with anyone in the game.

Push with Slingblade,

Some perspective, quook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA7G7AV-LT8
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Canard said:

Push with Slingblade,
    He also went 92-12 at Boise.
    If you had just watched Alabama Auburn last year and no other game you would say the same thing about Saban, coaches have bad games. If it becomes a trend, Petersen will definitely be up for criticism
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    dhdawg said:

Canard said:

Push with Slingblade,
    If you had just watched Alabama Auburn last year and no other game you would say the same thing about Saban, coaches have bad games. If it becomes a trend, Petersen will definitely be up for criticism

Cool story bro. You'd think his caliber of genius could handle fucking Nevada with the BCS on the line, no?

Yeah, he beat Oregon twice, but his Johnny Kreese is now in L.A.

Coaches have bad games? That's not strong enough phrasing to capture dropping one by double digits to Try Loserham.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,878
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2014
    Canard said:

dhdawg said:

Canard said:

Push with Slingblade,
    Cool story bro. You'd think his caliber of genius could handle fucking Nevada with the BCS on the line, no?

Yeah, he beat Oregon twice, but his Johnny Kreese is now in L.A.

Coaches have bad games? That's not strong enough phrasing to capture dropping one by double digits to Try Loserham.

What would be the strong enough phrase to capture the Zero's losing to Try Loserham in '01 at home 49-42, when the Zero's were ranked #5?

Would there be a different phrase, or the same, in '95 when they lost to Try ranked #12.

• Options
    beelzebubbeelzebub Member Posts: 361
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes
    How do u not come within 3 td's within last 10 years and think u can win? Even more delusional than ever lol
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

In the end, I don't see Oregon scoring in the 40s on us this year with our ability to get up the field on just about everybody we've played combined with Oregon's problems on the OL. I'd be surprised if they got in the 30s unless we help them with turnovers or special teams play. I do think that Oregon's defense has shown consistent struggles this year against the run without sacrificing the pass. We're hitting the part of the season where I think we can expect Miles to put together a game where you start scratching your head wondering where that came from in the good way (see the Swoopes kid from Texas last week against Oklahoma). A defensive and/or special teams score would be absolutely huge for us.O

I like the doogs in this one.

Seriously, I do. I'm drinking the kool-aid.

Our d-line is only giving up 3.1 yards per rushing attempt, and I think our secondary is VASTLY improved since the start of the year.

If we score over 28, we will win this game. I don't think Oregon scores more than that.

Do you have red S's on your helmets? No. You couldn't hold EWU to under 50 points and you think you'll hold Oregon to under 30? That's some potent kool aid you're drinking.
    Like the arizona game? ;)
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    This may turn out to be UCLA's season of unfulfilled expectations. They finished last season 5-1 (including a bowl win) and then started 4-0 (but they only beat UVa by 8, the Texas win is looking worse each week, and ASU isn't the same without Taylor Kelly) but they are now in danger of having the wheels come off with a loss @ Cal. Criticism of the coaches has usually centered on their staff having a bunch of guys who can recruit but can't coach guys up. That sure looks the case with Adrian Glenn and is Taylor Mazzone qualified to be a Pac-12 QBs coach? Demetrius Martin is their DB's coach (we all know about him) and Jeff Ulbrich is in his 1st year ever as a DC (Lou Spanos left after 2013 to be the LBs coach of the Tennessee Titans)...Mora and Ulbrich may be two meats whose clashes may get worse.

As for UW - Oregon, Jake Fisher is arguably Oregon's best OL. But, he's a RT who is playing LT and coming off a knee injury. Taking his place at RT has been Matt Pierson (walk-on) with a promising true frosh (Tyrell Crosby) as the swing back-up who started 3 games when Fisher was out. We know Grasu is good but he'll need help from Stevens and Hunt if Oregon wants to have a shot at running inside (even then, they could have difficulty scraping to the 2nd level to get to Timu and Shaq). So considering that, guys like Kikaha, A. Hudson, and E. Hudson will have plenty one on one opportunities with Pierson and Fisher (natural position is RT and he missed multiple games before the UCLA game with a knee inj ury). With all of that said, we should be able to get some pressure on Mariota with just 4 rushers (hopefully we see Kikaha and Littleton standing up on the edges).

At the same time, it's not like we're perfect on the OL with Riva getting injured again so RS-Frosh Coleman Shelton should another start at RT. He played well enough at Cal and bounced back nicely after having trouble with Stanford's Henry Anderson. Miles will have to hit some passes in the intermediate passing game and will need protection if U-Dub is to beat the spread (let alone winning the game). We should the ball decently well, especially Lavon Coleman is fed and maybe we'll see a planned QB draw from Miles in 4th down territory.

I'm a little surprised that special teams and penalties haven't been that great under Petersen but the general trend seems to be improvement. Each week our team is with Petersen and their's isn't with Chip Kelly is a positive in the coaching column.