Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This truly is a Chris Petersen team

Comments

• Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TommySQC said:

dhdawg said:

TommySQC said:

Disciplined? Lots of penalties and mistakes. Muffing a punt inside the 10 only to get lucky Cal bounced it out of thee endzone. Confusion coming out of the half. Trying to run out the clock then snapping it waaay to soon. Throwing a deep post on first down up 31-7 with Cyler's arm.

Disagree.

I thought the team has been fairly disciplined.
    They have taken care of the ball, as emphasized by Peterman.
    As for the penalties, how many have been presnap/lack of focus.
    Not many. And 45 of the 75 yards of penalties last week were that ticky tack kick ball, the peelback on Perkins which was total garbage. And the chop block which was also a bad call.
    I don't buy that they've lacked discipline.

Penalties are not the only factor. Also on Cal's lone TD drive, the defense gave up a couple plays because they were waiting for the call from the sideline. One was a first down on 3rd and 8. Then the illegal sub as well. I didn't keep track of everything but I have been disappointed.

I'm dooging it up anyways so may as well keep going. The first long drive they had was absolute bullshit with the 30 yards and 2 first downs they were gifted. Complete garbage. The drive they actually scored, I wouldn't tell Peters to play that any other way when they stopped them around midfield. The confusion I'll give you, Sidney Jones/coaches fucked that up which should be a red flag to the coaches for this week. Can't do that shit against Oregon. Kevin King also needs to be better or Shaq and Baker need to take the 2 deeps with Bierria subbing in for Shaq. I get what they're doing though, King is long and athletic, great for redzone fades. All of our deficiencies can be corrected, unless Tony Washington gets on Miles and he can't deal with the pressure, which would be the back breaker this upcoming game.

And Timu has been playing this for way too long to get sucked up like he did a couple of times.
    Agree on Peters.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dhdawg said:

A big part of the improvement on 3rd down would be getting Kasen more involved. I really hope this isn't a lost season for him

Why?

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I was on record as saying that I thought that Miles could replace Price ... he's struggled to date in that regard. Missing the Spring was clearly more of a problem for him than most of us (myself included) expected. I will give him credit for taking care of the ball.

This will not be a top half of the conference offense. It's just flat out not going to happen.

But this doesn't have to be a great offense for this team to win. It doesn't even need to be particularly good. What it needs to do is start by not making mistakes. By capitalizing on short fields when provided. And make sure that they don't put the defense and special teams in bad positions.

Whether the defense or special teams scores every week, who knows. Probably not. But I do think that it's reasonable to expect that they'll create an opportunity or two that gives a short field.

If in total we can find ourselves in a position to score in the upper 20s to low 30s every game the rest of the way, then I'm going to take my chances week in and week out.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dhdawg said:

A big part of the improvement on 3rd down would be getting Kasen more involved. I really hope this isn't a lost season for him

Why?

Would you rather be throwing a curl on third and 4 to a 6-3 230 pound Kasen Williams, or Jaydon Mickens and John Ross?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

The point Damone is that when you throw in Colorado, the Arizona schools, Washington St, and as Road Dawg pointed out UCLA, win those games and you are already up to 6 conference wins. Only Oregon (which has a swiss cheese front line of the defense) and Oregon St (who we gashed badly last year on the ground) remain.

Point being is that while I'm certainly not suggesting a full fledge dooging that says that we're going to win out, the number of quality defenses left on our schedule can be EASILY counted on one hand.

Also, at this point, it appears to be clear that Stanford and UW play defense in this conference. For everybody else, it's optional.

Reminds me of the year sark was going to win 10 games because the last three wins were (assumed).

So you're on record saying this is a good offense? As bad as cal is on defense, UW still couldn't score a touchdown in the last 30 minutes of the games..and yes, they were trying to.

This team could lose 3-4 more conference games just as EASILY as your scenario of winning 6. The offense needs to improve. Saying they are solid, which the original post suggested, isn't a fact.
    They aren't a good offense by any means, but solid is pretty close to fair. Not turning the ball over goes a long way for me. Cal might be "the worst defense in the league" but they're a lot closer to a normal defense in this league than Stanford is. I agree it's possible we lose 3 or 4 more conference games but I don't agree it's just as likely as winning 6. This staff has already proven they address weaknesses and coach their guys up, I see no reason to think that won't continue.
    UW is sitting 10th in total offense in the conference. This, despite playing 5 dreadful defenses. I'm not quite ready to say they are solid.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

The point Damone is that when you throw in Colorado, the Arizona schools, Washington St, and as Road Dawg pointed out UCLA, win those games and you are already up to 6 conference wins. Only Oregon (which has a swiss cheese front line of the defense) and Oregon St (who we gashed badly last year on the ground) remain.

Point being is that while I'm certainly not suggesting a full fledge dooging that says that we're going to win out, the number of quality defenses left on our schedule can be EASILY counted on one hand.

Also, at this point, it appears to be clear that Stanford and UW play defense in this conference. For everybody else, it's optional.

Reminds me of the year sark was going to win 10 games because the last three wins were (assumed).

So you're on record saying this is a good offense? As bad as cal is on defense, UW still couldn't score a touchdown in the last 30 minutes of the games..and yes, they were trying to.

This team could lose 3-4 more conference games just as EASILY as your scenario of winning 6. The offense needs to improve. Saying they are solid, which the original post suggested, isn't a fact.
    They aren't a good offense by any means, but solid is pretty close to fair. Not turning the ball over goes a long way for me. Cal might be "the worst defense in the league" but they're a lot closer to a normal defense in this league than Stanford is. I agree it's possible we lose 3 or 4 more conference games but I don't agree it's just as likely as winning 6. This staff has already proven they address weaknesses and coach their guys up, I see no reason to think that won't continue.
    UW is sitting 10th in total offense in the conference. This, despite playing 5 dreadful defenses. I'm not quite ready to say they are solid.
    We could be like WSU, Cal, or Colorado and sling the ball around 60 times and rank a lot higher. I don't think you are totally wrong, but it's not all bad with the offense. Ideally, the offense would be better. The offense is run heavy and they take care of the ball. We also have a great kick returner and a defense that forces turnovers. LIPO, but Aubbie's post is spot on as of right now.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The 35 point per game includes defensive scores.

You keep saying this, as if it means something. UW has demonstrated a pretty consistent ability to create big plays with its defense and special teams. While Thompson's scoring binge has to regress to the mean at some point, there is no reason not to believe big plays will continue from those units. They're talented and well coached.

Cal might be the worst defensive UW will see all year and they were able to score 24 points.

With a 28-point halftime lead, Peterman played ball control in the second half. Do you honestly believe that, had UW needed more points after halftime, they couldn't get them?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

We could be like WSU, Cal, or Colorado and sling the ball around 60 times and rank a lot higher. I don't think you are totally wrong, but it's not all bad with the offense. Ideally, the offense would be better. The offense is run heavy and they take care of the ball. We also have a great kick returner and a defense that forces turnovers. LIPO, but Aubbie's post is spot on as of right now.
    If UW could be like WSU, cal or colorado and "sling the ball around 60 times", they would. And with their defense they would be ranked in the top 10.

Auburns post is always spot on because he changes it every week.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,778
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The problem is the O line needs to step the fuck up and a runningback needs to show up and charge through Duck cunt this weekend, and not relinquish the fucking job.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    This team is as close to being a Chris Petersen team as any team coached/recruited by Sark for 4 years and Petersen for 1 year can be.

I still think we are going 10-3. We might get there by relying too much on an opportunistic defense, but I think we will get there. I think we are much better than we were in August in Honolulu, and we are continuing to improve.
  • Options
    At this point, I think the defense has a higher upside than the offense for the rest of this year at least. Shutting down Cal was a big deal, IMO.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

If UW could be like WSU, cal or colorado and "sling the ball around 60 times", they would. And with their defense they would be ranked in the top 10.

Auburns post is always spot on because he changes it every week.
    Then why didn't Boise State do that when they had Kellen Moore?

If uw was as productive on offense as BSU in 2011, I would feel good about a playoff shot right now. They would be 6-0 with and favored this week.

UWs offense is probably good enough to win 8 games.
  • Options
    For the record:

Boise State Offense Quick Facts:
    5th Nationally in Scoring in 2011 (44.2 Pts/Game)
    2nd Nationally in Scoring in 2010 (45.1 Pts/Game)
    1st Nationally in Scoring in 2009 (42.2 Pts/Game)
    Nation’s Highest Scoring Team Since 2000 (41.9 Pts/Game)
    #9 Nationally in Total Offense in 2011
    #4 Nationally in Pass Efficiency in 2011
    Allowed the Fewest Sacks in the Nation in 2009 and 2011

If we can approach these numbers, I will be happy with the offense.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I like to pretend that points scored by the defense don't count on the SCOREBOARD!, I do that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014

I like to pretend that points scored by the defense don't count on the SCOREBOARD!, I do that.

I like to pretend the offense scored more than 6 points against Stanford. I do that.

The point is lack of offensive productivity will cost teams games. Defensive scoring can't be counted on to make up the difference over the long run
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

I like to pretend the offense scored more than 6 points against Stanford. I do that.
    Huh? You missed the point. At what point do the weekly defense/st score(s) not count as flukes?