Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This truly is a Chris Petersen team

This Husky team isn't flashy (other than Ross) but it is efficient. We are disciplined. We make you beat us. We are hard to score on. And our offense is good enough. In other words, a good old fashioned well coached football team

Scoring defense: 21 pts per game. 2nd in PAC-12. Take away the EWU game and we are only giving up 15 per game.

We have only given up 4 plays from scrimmage longer than 30 yards, tied for 1st with Stanford. Only given up 1 run longer than 20 yards, first in the league. We make teams drive the field against us.

We have only given up 11 sacks. Third in the league.

280 rushing attempts, most in the league. 158 pass attempts, second fewest in the league. We run the ball 65% of the time

Turnover margin: +14, best in the nation.

The offense is conservative, yet we are scoring 35 points per game, and every once in awhile we get creative and explosive.

Somewhere Don James is smiling.

Comments

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Your best effort, ever

Informative

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Improvement. Every. Single. Week.
    Things are promising going forward
  • Options
    With the team we have around him cyler doesn't need to throw for 500 yards every week, but our passing game needs to be efficient.
    If we continue to perform as well as we have on 3rd down 8-9 wins tops, if we start converting 3rd down on a consistent basis, big if, we will be right there for the north title.
    I also wish we'd use Cyler's legs a bit more, get him outside the pocket. It worked reasonably well on saturday
  • Options
    A big part of the improvement on 3rd down would be getting Kasen more involved. I really hope this isn't a lost season for him
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I appreciate the analysis but we need to look deeper. Against the only decent defense they have played they scored 6 points. The 35 point per game includes defensive scores. Cal might be the worst defensive UW will see all year and they were able to score 24 points.

I think the defensive is playing well and the DBs are getting better. The team as a whole is getting better and I think we can all see Petersen is setting things up for long term success.

Why do you hate Colorado, the Arizona schools, and Washington State?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I appreciate the analysis but we need to look deeper. Against the only decent defense they have played they scored 6 points. The 35 point per game includes defensive scores. Cal might be the worst defensive UW will see all year and they were able to score 24 points.

I think the defensive is playing well and the DBs are getting better. The team as a whole is getting better and I think we can all see Petersen is setting things up for long term success.

Why do you hate Colorado, the Arizona schools, and Washington State?
    You omitted UCLA. Over 600 yards to ASU, Utah running over them all day, and Oregon scoring 42 by the opening drive of the 4th quarter. They have like 6 sacks all season.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dhdawg said:

TommySQC said:

Disciplined? Lots of penalties and mistakes. Muffing a punt inside the 10 only to get lucky Cal bounced it out of thee endzone. Confusion coming out of the half. Trying to run out the clock then snapping it waaay to soon. Throwing a deep post on first down up 31-7 with Cyler's arm.

Disagree.

I thought the team has been fairly disciplined.
    They have taken care of the ball, as emphasized by Peterman.
    As for the penalties, how many have been presnap/lack of focus.
    Not many. And 45 of the 75 yards of penalties last week were that ticky tack kick ball, the peelback on Perkins which was total garbage. And the chop block which was also a bad call.
    I don't buy that they've lacked discipline.

Penalties are not the only factor. Also on Cal's lone TD drive, the defense gave up a couple plays because they were waiting for the call from the sideline. One was a first down on 3rd and 8. Then the illegal sub as well. I didn't keep track of everything but I have been disappointed.

• Options
    Another 15 yards was a PI on Peters that was also very questionable.
    We're 5th in the pac in penalties so while it isn't great, it's better than what we were under sark
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    TommySQC said:

dhdawg said:

TommySQC said:

Disciplined? Lots of penalties and mistakes. Muffing a punt inside the 10 only to get lucky Cal bounced it out of thee endzone. Confusion coming out of the half. Trying to run out the clock then snapping it waaay to soon. Throwing a deep post on first down up 31-7 with Cyler's arm.

Disagree.

I thought the team has been fairly disciplined.
    They have taken care of the ball, as emphasized by Peterman.
    As for the penalties, how many have been presnap/lack of focus.
    Not many. And 45 of the 75 yards of penalties last week were that ticky tack kick ball, the peelback on Perkins which was total garbage. And the chop block which was also a bad call.
    I don't buy that they've lacked discipline.

Penalties are not the only factor. Also on Cal's lone TD drive, the defense gave up a couple plays because they were waiting for the call from the sideline. One was a first down on 3rd and 8. Then the illegal sub as well. I didn't keep track of everything but I have been disappointed.

I'm dooging it up anyways so may as well keep going. The first long drive they had was absolute bullshit with the 30 yards and 2 first downs they were gifted. Complete garbage. The drive they actually scored, I wouldn't tell Peters to play that any other way when they stopped them around midfield. The confusion I'll give you, Sidney Jones/coaches fucked that up which should be a red flag to the coaches for this week. Can't do that shit against Oregon. Kevin King also needs to be better or Shaq and Baker need to take the 2 deeps with Bierria subbing in for Shaq. I get what they're doing though, King is long and athletic, great for redzone fades. All of our deficiencies can be corrected, unless Tony Washington gets on Miles and he can't deal with the pressure, which would be the back breaker this upcoming game.

And Timu has been playing this for way too long to get sucked up like he did a couple of times.