Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This truly is a Chris Petersen team

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Couple of other thoughts…

@haie I think the OL is better than we think. The backs combined for 26 for 116. Sankey would have run for 150+. There were some good holes and Cal's run defense was in the top half of the conference statistically (per carry not per game). I'm not expecting huge improvement from the backs but any improvement would be a huge bonus for this squad. Sankey would make this team a whole lot better.

When Cal scored Danny Shelton was out of the game and I think Shaq too. Had to rest them at somepoint. The offense sustaining drives will be critical when we play against the explosive offenses.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,845
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2014
    TTJ said:

The 35 point per game includes defensive scores.

You keep saying this, as if it means something. UW has demonstrated a pretty consistent ability to create big plays with its defense and special teams. While Thompson's scoring binge has to regress to the mean at some point, there is no reason not to believe big plays will continue from those units. They're talented and well coached.

I like to pretend that points scored by the defense don't count on the SCOREBOARD!, I do that.

I like to pretend the offense scored more than 6 points against Stanford. I do that.

The point is lack of offensive productivity will cost teams games. Defensive scoring can't be counted on to make up the difference over the long run
    ******, you make a valid poont. Teheran Terry also make a valid poont.

Will you two fuck already?
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Couple of other thoughts…

@haie I think the OL is better than we think. The backs combined for 26 for 116. Sankey would have run for 150+. There were some good holes and Cal's run defense was in the top half of the conference statistically (per carry not per game). I'm not expecting huge improvement from the backs but any improvement would be a huge bonus for this squad. Sankey would make this team a whole lot better.

When Cal scored Danny Shelton was out of the game and I think Shaq too. Had to rest them at somepoint. The offense sustaining drives will be critical when we play against the explosive offenses.

Exactly, don't need to score 50 points and throw it all over the place, just sustain drives. That means winning on 3rd down
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014

I like to pretend that points scored by the defense don't count on the SCOREBOARD!, I do that.

I like to pretend the offense scored more than 6 points against Stanford. I do that.
    Huh? You missed the point. At what point do the weekly defense/st score(s) not count as flukes?
    It's not a fluke, but if that's what a team is counting on to score enough to win week in and week out, they are not going to be successful more often than not. UW needed the defense to score at least twice vs stanford. They didn't.
    Stanford's defense is really good. I think you are reading too much into that game. The most they have given up is 17. Notre Dame, USC, and WSU all have offenses that have been doing well, but they all struggled against Stanford. Defense and winning the turnover battle wins games. UW doesn't face a good defense the rest of the year. To expect a repeat of the Stanford performance against lesser defenses is a stretch.

Stanford has won two straight Pac 12 titles without a great offense. It was marginally better than ours. I get where you are coming from, but you sound like a poster from doogman.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

TTJ said:

You keep saying this, as if it means something. UW has demonstrated a pretty consistent ability to create big plays with its defense and special teams. While Thompson's scoring binge has to regress to the mean at some point, there is no reason not to believe big plays will continue from those units. They're talented and well coached.

The point is lack of offensive productivity will cost teams games. Defensive scoring can't be counted on to make up the difference over the long run

LIPO. But I say the offense needs to improve to get to 9 or 10 wins. It's not as solid as aburndoog contends.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

TTJ said:

LIPO. But I say the offense needs to improve to get to 9 or 10 wins. It's not as solid as aburndoog contends.
    Agree.

Additionally, the offense gets half the credit for the nation-leading +14 turnover ratio. That's a huge plus that we haven't had around here in 20 fucking years and shouldn't go unnoticed.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The backs need to start doing more with the opportunities they get. Washington doesn't have a good feel for the first down marker and Coleman could use a little more burst to go with his vision and moves. I like them both, but would like a top shelf running back who gets spelled by them a lot better.

This offense is short on big play guys. We don't have them at RB so it hurts that much more that we don't have them outside either (aside from Ross). The play action bomb to Ross isn't going to fool people very often at this point.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    TTJ said:

Cal might be the worst defensive UW will see all year and they were able to score 24 points.

With a 28-point halftime lead, Peterman played ball control in the second half. Do you honestly believe that, had UW needed more points after halftime, they couldn't get them?
    Do you honestly believe when UW kicked a field goal in the second half, they weren't trying to score a touch down, but failed to move the ball? If the goal this year is to win 8 games and go to the Vegas bowl, then they are fine.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    Our offense fucking sucks, there is no other truth.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Our offense fucking sucks, there is no other truth.

I'm going to firmly be in the camp of dooging it up for a lack of turnovers. I do that.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Our defense will make your offense look good, but I don't think you will be able to keep up with us
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

Our defense will make your offense look good, but I don't think you will be able to keep up with us

That's what I expect. Maybe the UW defense will shock the world though and keeping up won't be a huge challenge for the offense. I don't expect it but I'll watch just in case.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Point being is that while I'm certainly not suggesting a full fledge dooging that says that we're going to win out, the number of quality defenses left on our schedule can be EASILY counted on one finger.

I'll let Mick Dabone figure out which one.

• Options
    AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Only two teams in the PAC-12 play defense. We are one, and we already played the other.

Our offense is good enough in this league.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited October 2014

Its refreshing 8 wins isn't the goal anymore. It was Siete's ceiling.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    The defense is decent, but it has a ways to go.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Only two teams in the PAC-12 play defense. We are one, and we already played the other.

Our offense is good enough in this league.

The first part is true, the second part remains to be seen
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    this thread needs to be pinned as an example of why we actually do have intelligent football discourse here. Seriously, this is a great thread...and classy.