Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

California Bill Banning Football for Kids Under 12 Passes Committee

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,557
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Sandra6 said:

For real though, football is quickly becoming a sport for the poors. Unless they're destined to be a QB or kicker, you're signing your kid up for early onset CTE with the end goal of surviving for a few years in the NFL and getting a paycheck that's only guaranteed week to week.

Why do that when the Saudis and LA Dodgers are throwing around 9 figure guaranteed deals?

@GreenRiverGatorz what is the data on CTE for kids that only played through HS or College? Honest and not loaded question. I'm not well versed in this subject.

Seems like if HS Football alone cause CTE, there would be a lot more CTE out there. And nowadays, I would think the equipment and protocols are much better.
    Who knows how much is out there since diagnosis is post-mortem. This study shows a stark increase in risk with players in the NFL versus college and high school. There's a lot of high level math and statistics jargon in there, so someone smarter than me will have to conclude whether or not this study touches on prevalence of high school players vs gen pop.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9989358/#:~:text=We therefore estimated that high,, respectively (Table 3).

I have a really hard time imagining that boys under 12 are strong enough to give each other CTE.

Something tells me that football gets more and more dangerous as you get to higher levels of play. Maybe there’s occasional CTE in high school football. But the NFL, where you’re playing against not just grown men, but the very strongest grown men in America-that’s really where CTE explodes.

Is there seriously even one documented case of CTE resulting from the puny hits somebody got in Pop Warner at age 11 or younger?
    Started playing PeeWee football when I was 9. Got my first concussion before fourth grade classes even started.
    Started getting concussions boxing my brother in grade school.

Huh?
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

Sandra6 said:

For real though, football is quickly becoming a sport for the poors. Unless they're destined to be a QB or kicker, you're signing your kid up for early onset CTE with the end goal of surviving for a few years in the NFL and getting a paycheck that's only guaranteed week to week.

Why do that when the Saudis and LA Dodgers are throwing around 9 figure guaranteed deals?

@GreenRiverGatorz what is the data on CTE for kids that only played through HS or College? Honest and not loaded question. I'm not well versed in this subject.

Seems like if HS Football alone cause CTE, there would be a lot more CTE out there. And nowadays, I would think the equipment and protocols are much better.
    Who knows how much is out there since diagnosis is post-mortem. This study shows a stark increase in risk with players in the NFL versus college and high school. There's a lot of high level math and statistics jargon in there, so someone smarter than me will have to conclude whether or not this study touches on prevalence of high school players vs gen pop.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9989358/#:~:text=We therefore estimated that high,, respectively (Table 3).

I have a really hard time imagining that boys under 12 are strong enough to give each other CTE.

Something tells me that football gets more and more dangerous as you get to higher levels of play. Maybe there’s occasional CTE in high school football. But the NFL, where you’re playing against not just grown men, but the very strongest grown men in America-that’s really where CTE explodes.

Is there seriously even one documented case of CTE resulting from the puny hits somebody got in Pop Warner at age 11 or younger?
    Started playing PeeWee football when I was 9. Got my first concussion before fourth grade classes even started.

Huh?
    Yeah, I should have clarified that it was my first football concussion. I got my first concussion in second grade when my bike collided with the front fender of a 1967 Mustang. Needless to say, the car owner was not sympathetic to my cause.

What?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't support legislating personal safety. I was against seatbelt and helmet laws and against banning smoking in privately owned establishments.

I don't really get peewee football. My brother and many friends got involved in it. Kids that age are 99% pussies and can't play the game right. Our community had a number of moms, normally anti government types, who went on a crusade to end the league after their own precious, future superstars got hurt. Funny how attitudes change when something happens close to home.

I think tackle peewee FB benefits about 1% of the kids who take part in terms of their development though. We learned what we needed by playing flag or touch football (when supervised) or tackle/smear the queer when not. My first organized tackle football team (7th grade) had exactly one kid who was a bit more advanced in his tackling technique than the rest of us due to playing organized peewee ball. It took about a week of practice for the other good athletes to catch up.

Bottom line is that I don't care. California gonna California. Play flag football until junior high. Maybe it will work and keep kids engaged. Don't know. I don't think doing that in itself will degrade the quality or quantity of FBS talent. Peewee age kids suck either way.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I don't support legislating personal safety. I was against seatbelt and helmet laws and against banning smoking in privately owned establishments.

I don't really get peewee football. My brother and many friends got involved in it. Kids that age are 99% pussies and can't play the game right. Our community had a number of moms, normally anti government types, who went on a crusade to end the league after their own precious, future superstars got hurt. Funny how attitudes change when something happens close to home.

I think tackle peewee FB benefits about 1% of the kids who take part in terms of their development though. We learned what we needed by playing flag or touch football (when supervised) or tackle/smear the queer when not. My first organized tackle football team (7th grade) had exactly one kid who was a bit more advanced in his tackling technique than the rest of us due to playing organized peewee ball. It took about a week of practice for the other good athletes to catch up.

Bottom line is that I don't care. California gonna California. Play flag football until junior high. Maybe it will work and keep kids engaged. Don't know. I don't think doing that in itself will degrade the quality or quantity of FBS talent. Peewee age kids suck either way.

My PeeWee age self just transported into the future to say, "oh yeah?"
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,462
    chuck said:

How do you feel about the FDA and food and drug standards?

What about speed limits in cities and highways?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 23

chuck said:

TITTT

There's no equivalency here anyways. If I choose to allow smoking in my bar it only affects those who choose to enter my bar knowing full well what they're entering into. Failing to put on my seatbelt doesn't make me more dangerous to others than if I wore it. Speeding does.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,462
    chuck said:

chuck said:

TITTT

There's no equivalency here anyways. If I choose to allow smoking in my bar it only affects those who choose to enter my bar knowing full well what they're entering into. Failing to put on my seatbelt doesn't make me more dangerous to others than if I wore it. Speeding does.
    I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just curious where your boundaries are

So societal safety yes, personal safety no?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

TITTT

I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just curious where your boundaries are

So societal safety yes, personal safety no?
    Pretty much, yes.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,557
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If he dies he dies

Words to live by

Chuck makes a very nuanced point. You can't be an absolutist about much of anything other than duck fans being full retards. Even then I assume a couple aren't
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,542
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Thank Christ finally a thread that is duck proof because of the topic: actually playing the game of football.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

chuck said:

My PeeWee age self just transported into the future to say, "oh yeah?"
    Actually mine too. I wasn't a pussy then due to my tuff logger upbringing and because I had an older, way bigger brother to try to keep up with. Our grade school principle used to play smear the queer with us. The first time I put on a baseball glove at age 6 my dad drilled me right in the nose. After we stopped the bleeding he said "you ready? This time catch it with the glove instead of your face."
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,276
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My 7th grade neighbor is sitting out next year because he didn't get snacks at end of game

Same game, different bag
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Swaye said:

89ute said:

Glad we don't recruit California anymore. You don't see this shit in Texas.

If a politician put this bill forward in Texas their house would be burned down within a week. You do not fuck with football in Texas.
    A similar great day occurred in Lynnwood, WA in the late 90s, when the neighborhood was informed a Level 3 Sex Offender was moving back to the neighborhood, so the Ford Ranger/Nissan Pickup driving neighborhood dads burned his house down.
    So good I decided to Google it as I'm not Pup.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-08-01-mn-19079-story.html
    Pretty clear rule: Don't fuck with the Lynnwoods. Lived there a spell in college. Later Tacoma too.

Conclusion: Lynnwood was off-white Tacoma when I lived there.
  • Options

Swaye said:

89ute said:

Glad we don't recruit California anymore. You don't see this shit in Texas.

If a politician put this bill forward in Texas their house would be burned down within a week. You do not fuck with football in Texas.
    A similar great day occurred in Lynnwood, WA in the late 90s, when the neighborhood was informed a Level 3 Sex Offender was moving back to the neighborhood, so the Ford Ranger/Nissan Pickup driving neighborhood dads burned his house down.
    Hole e shit.

That’s a good short story.
    The working class doesn't have time for that compassion/forgiveness/rehabilitation shit.
  • Options
    TheHB said:

TheHB said:

Sandra6 said:

Huh?
    Yeah, I should have clarified that it was my first football concussion. I got my first concussion in second grade when my bike collided with the front fender of a 1967 Mustang. Needless to say, the car owner was not sympathetic to my cause.

What?
    Fucking great design year. And you almost wrecked one. Asshole.