Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your Guide to Houston That Doesn’t Suck

Comments

• Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

Fine I’ll be the one to ask…. You’re not the guy with the futures bet that will pay $400k if we win next week, are you? If so, you’re an absolute animal.

That guy is in DFW, or at least flys out of DFW airport. I’d love to get an update on him if he’s still alive
    Everyone in Texas loves the Dawgs!
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I was going to bring up the zoning, but I thought it would be a nerdy thread jack. Now that someone brought it up, why isn't there zoning?

Because FREEDOM.

Really I have no idea. It leads to some pretty wild stuff, like a bar beside a house beside a church beside a strip club.

Houston’s historically had a little “fuck it” Wild West energy and the City Government’s been owned by the money men. I assume that’s where it comes from.

it’s not there any more but the pink pussycat cabaret (rip) was basically next door to my high school (lamar)
    You went to Lamar? Holy shitballs! I was a Duncanville shithead.
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

Fine I’ll be the one to ask…. You’re not the guy with the futures bet that will pay $400k if we win next week, are you? If so, you’re an absolute animal.

I stand to win $120k on bets made at 40-1 preseason, 16-1 in-season, and 8-1 pre-playoff.

I also bet some Washington-Rory Masters futures parlays that pay 85-1 and pay $125k if that madness comes to fruition.

I’ve been slowly accumulating UW positions over the last six months.

It’s all profit for me at this point. I bet $12,000 on UW+10 against Oregon.

So I’m a pretty interested observer. I spend summers in Victoria and my coach refuses to participate in NIL/transfer portal so these dogs might become my adopted squad.

Oh so you’re not that guy, you’re just another complete savage. Got it. I fucking love it.

If you’re willing to share more, what sold you on the Huskies as an outsider? Obviously a lot of us were fired up about the team and the returning talent but we’re supposed to do that. When did you believe enough in what you were seeing to load up?
  • Options
    Sobchak_SecuritySobchak_Security Member Posts: 141
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Bob_C said:

I stand to win $120k on bets made at 40-1 preseason, 16-1 in-season, and 8-1 pre-playoff.

I also bet some Washington-Rory Masters futures parlays that pay 85-1 and pay $125k if that madness comes to fruition.

I’ve been slowly accumulating UW positions over the last six months.

It’s all profit for me at this point. I bet $12,000 on UW+10 against Oregon.

So I’m a pretty interested observer. I spend summers in Victoria and my coach refuses to participate in NIL/transfer portal so these dogs might become my adopted squad.

Nice work, but don't spend your Rory at the Masters parlay winnings.
    Losing at 85-1 >>>> losing at 9-1
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Is renting a car a necessity? My buddies are planning on ubering everywhere, but that seems like it would get stupid expensive in a huge area like Houston. I can rent a full size car through Costco for like $250 for the 4 days I’ll be there. Seems like a no brainer

Is Costco the way to go with rentals?? Never checked there. May grab one
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,302
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Postal91 said:

Is renting a car a necessity? My buddies are planning on ubering everywhere, but that seems like it would get stupid expensive in a huge area like Houston. I can rent a full size car through Costco for like $250 for the 4 days I’ll be there. Seems like a no brainer

It’s been cheaper for me there a few times in the past.
  • Options
    DoogerMcFarlandDoogerMcFarland Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 739
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Looks like I’m staying halfway between Rice and NRG. It appears that Texas Woman’s University is across the street.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

I was going to bring up the zoning, but I thought it would be a nerdy thread jack. Now that someone brought it up, why isn't there zoning?

Because FREEDOM.

Really I have no idea. It leads to some pretty wild stuff, like a bar beside a house beside a church beside a strip club.

Houston’s historically had a little “fuck it” Wild West energy and the City Government’s been owned by the money men. I assume that’s where it comes from.

it’s not there any more but the pink pussycat cabaret (rip) was basically next door to my high school (lamar)
    You went to Lamar? Holy shitballs! I was a Duncanville shithead.
    redskins forever baby. they changed it to the “texans” years back which i’m sure you have an opinion about
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Postal91 said:

Yeah, you can get good prices from what I’ve seen. We got a suburban for a week for our cali trip earlier this year for like $600 cheaper than we could have elsewhere
  • Options

Looks like I’m staying halfway between Rice and NRG. It appears that Texas Woman’s University is across the street.

Med Center area. Totally fine. As name suggests it’s a massive collection of hospitals. Most people living around there are students. You’ll be central to most everything. Easy hop up to downtown and close to NRG (realized I’ve been calling it Reliant; old habits die hard)

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I would also recommend maybe looking at AirBNBs in some of the neighborhoods. As football crazy as Texas is, I’m not sure ABNB owners are that aware of this game, particularly in the little neighborhoods with yuppie moms.

We live in Oak Forest and I know there are tons of little two bedroom bungalows being rented out for cheap that are very nice. Would recommend checking that out.

Mrs Nacho is looking for an Airbnb and I concur with this statement.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,933
    Founders Club
    Can you list some good areas/neighborhoods to park & walk or park near the metro?

TYFYS
  • Options
    Founders Club

Turo is also a great alternative to the rental car companies.
  • Options

Red line goes down to “Reliant Park,” which is the stadium. As you can see, only decent areas on the red line are downtown and Rice/Med Center. If you’re looking for things to do, downtown is a much easier place to get to and out of, with bar options, etc. Med Center/Rice U parking situation is much more difficult but it’s “prettier” to see and walk around in.

My preference is parking around UH Downtown. Easiest place to pick up the Red Line. Lots of street parking and cheap hotel valet.