Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

P12 Championship line going up

Comments

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,444 Standard Supporter
    AOG said:

I don't get the point of this "championship" since we? already beat the Dukx and finished first. Money? Staff, true?

You'd rather face Iowa, eh?
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,389 Swaye's Wigwam

HFNY said:

Bet volume has been trending Washington while total dollars is trending Oregon. It’s the public picking Washington and sharps picking Oregon. Both have been known to be wrong in big ways, just providing the data trend. It’s about a 63-37 split in bet volume favoring Washington and the points.

It's my understanding there would be no math on this bored.

But I also thought that the sharps tend to come in the day before a game once the line has settled and they see an arbitrage opportunity (I concede that I am certainly not a "sharp").
    Sharps do a lot of things. It was large sum bets that originally drove the spread from -7.5 to -9.5. Large bets are assumed as sharps even though there are a lot of rich idiots who just get the itch and don’t have much knowledge. But general the larger the bet, the more likely it’s a sharp. They make big bets when they see an advantage. What I think will happen is they already got the Ducks at -7.5. I have a feeling they are hoping this gets bet to -10.5, then they go hard on Washington. That creates the arbitrage that if Oregon wins by between 8-10 points, the bettor wins on both tickets.
    The prospect of the line going higher is part of what has kept me from betting. I don't think there's high odds either team wins by 10+ and will take that spread if I can get it.
  • bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714

HFNY said:

Bet volume has been trending Washington while total dollars is trending Oregon. It’s the public picking Washington and sharps picking Oregon. Both have been known to be wrong in big ways, just providing the data trend. It’s about a 63-37 split in bet volume favoring Washington and the points.

It's my understanding there would be no math on this bored.

But I also thought that the sharps tend to come in the day before a game once the line has settled and they see an arbitrage opportunity (I concede that I am certainly not a "sharp").
    Sharps do a lot of things. It was large sum bets that originally drove the spread from -7.5 to -9.5. Large bets are assumed as sharps even though there are a lot of rich idiots who just get the itch and don’t have much knowledge. But general the larger the bet, the more likely it’s a sharp. They make big bets when they see an advantage. What I think will happen is they already got the Ducks at -7.5. I have a feeling they are hoping this gets bet to -10.5, then they go hard on Washington. That creates the arbitrage that if Oregon wins by between 8-10 points, the bettor wins on both tickets.
    The prospect of the line going higher is part of what has kept me from betting. I don't think there's high odds either team wins by 10+ and will take that spread if I can get it.
    I agree.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

AOG said:

I don't get the point of this "championship" since we? already beat the Dukx and finished first. Money? Staff, true?

Utah didn’t complain when they had to beat Oregon twice two years ago, and then USC twice last year. Quit being and bitch a grow a pair. Win and you’re in. Don’t and you can’t finish. It is what it is. This isn’t 2011 anymore.
    Or don't lose the first game

Tough talk when the retarded pac 12 is your only hope
    Same system in the B1G next year. Nobody said much about this when this was implemented last year.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

AOG said:

Utah didn’t complain when they had to beat Oregon twice two years ago, and then USC twice last year. Quit being and bitch a grow a pair. Win and you’re in. Don’t and you can’t finish. It is what it is. This isn’t 2011 anymore.

Same system in the B1G next year. Nobody said much about this when this was implemented last year.
    UW did since they got hosed out of the CCG

B1G isn't using division schedules
    They aren’t using divisions period. That’s the point. They got sick of either Michigan or Ohio St getting left off the conference title game for Iowa, Purdue, and Wisconsin.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,565

AOG said:

This was the big issue last year (and this year—although the 2 best teams ended up in Vegas this year so it’s moot). But last year the two (potentially three) best teams were in the north and usc played neither of them and made it to Vegas. If usc had played Oregon/uw last year instead of coug/beav, they’re the defending sun bowl champs and Caleb doesn’t sniff a heisman.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2023

AOG said:

They aren’t using divisions period. That’s the point. They got sick of either Michigan or Ohio St getting left off the conference title game for Iowa, Purdue, and Wisconsin.
    If the B1G would have done away with divisions, but still had all the B1G East teams play each other (and limp dick B1G West teams play each other) they would have been up in arms.

What the Pac 12 did was a desperation play for TV money, it wasn't about an equitable system.

We know the divisions was an equitable system, because if you play the hard schedule (P12 North) they're simply elimination games.

Which Washington eliminated Oregon both years, went undefeated in the harder division, and deserved to get USC and Arizona.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,494 Swaye's Wigwam
    Why will there still even be conference championship games with a 12 team playoff?
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,882 Swaye's Wigwam

Why will there still even be conference championship games with a 12 team playoff?

$$$$$$$$$$
  • RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 815 Founders Club
    PAC has no divisions but North still plays all team in the North and South is the same. It’s shit logic.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,705 Swaye's Wigwam

$$$$$$$$$$
    And winner gets a first round bye
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,565

$$$$$$$$$$
    Only way to determine a champ with 20 team leagues
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,494 Swaye's Wigwam
    The odds of two teams squaring off three times in the same season is going to be decently high. It's pretty stupid.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,439 Founders Club

AOG said:

But not this year

Iowa it is
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,589 Standard Supporter

The odds of two teams squaring off three times in the same season is going to be decently high. It's pretty stupid.

It’s going to be pretty hard to make a Conf champ game and not make the playoffs in the B1G/SEC.
    edited November 2023
    whlinder said:

It’s going to be pretty hard to make a Conf champ game and not make the playoffs in the B1G/SEC.
    Exactly. If this were next year, tOSU and Michigan are both in the playoffs. Washington and Oregon are both in. Texas and Alabama are both in. Alabama/Georgia. If Washington and Oregon somehow finish top-two in the B1G next year, it's possible they could play each other three times consecutively.
  • bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714

AOG said:

This game all but ensures a CFP participant. It's good for the conference and not UW this year. Imagine playing Arizona, they win, and no PAC 12 teams goes to the playoff.

Grow a pair.
  • Seven_ElevenSeven_Eleven Member Posts: 111

If Washington and Oregon somehow finish top-two in the B1G next year, it's possible they could play each other three times consecutively.

I kinda want to see that happen, now that the prospect's been raised, just for the absurdity.