Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offishul Boys in the Boat movie thread

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

haie said:

Damn, it feels like only me and PJ Fleck liked the movie.

I haven’t seen it yet pod. Keep the faith @haie
    I see it tomorrow (13 hrs from this poasting). Will report back.

Thanks Pawz!
  • Options
    houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 151
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Standard Supporter
    Saw the movie last night. It was good for what it is. It won't win any awards, and I agree with the criticisms others have posted. At the end, some guy shouted (it was me) "Go Dawgs, beat Texas!)

- Geography felt weird.
    - Very little character development
    - Whole family immediately after the movie, "Soooooooo...what did any of the guys do after the Olympics? Did Joe and Joyce get married? Did he stay pour?"
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,536
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Don Hume moved to Olympia and had a son I went to school with. He was a member of the Olympia Country and Golf Club and ran the Husky Coaches caravan when they came by every summer

You're welcome
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,302
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

Damn, it feels like only me and PJ Fleck liked the movie.

I liked it! I hope my nitpicking of details didn't imply otherwise. I'll go see it again.

Saw the movie last night. It was good for what it is. It won't win any awards, and I agree with the criticisms others have posted. At the end, some guy shouted (it was me) "Go Dawgs, beat Texas!)

- Geography felt weird.
    - Very little character development
    - Whole family immediately after the movie, "Soooooooo...what did any of the guys do after the Olympics? Did Joe and Joyce get married? Did he stay pour?"

My next door neighbor took her whole family to it (and knows I rowed + went to UW) and afterwards immediately texted my wife "That was a great movie but I have so many questions." So she's going to read the book now and has already watched the PBS show.

The suburban housewife demographic seems to really like it especially if they haven't read the book.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2nd most famous person raised in Olympia

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,302
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Don Hume moved to Olympia and had a son I went to school with. He was a member of the Olympia Country and Golf Club and ran the Husky Coaches caravan when they came by every summer

You're welcome

So the Wikipedia entry is almost directly copy-pasta from the Boys in the Boat. It didn't mention him having a kid, but does mention him never marrying.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,317
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pics of Hume stroking the senior varsity eight?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

It was good but not great.

Wouldn't have killed Clooney to get some shots on campus. Most of the quad, Denny hall, Suzzallo, parrington and drumheller were all on campus at that time. Thought it was a bit funny that Poughkeepsie was lined by evergreens and the very narrow Lake Washington was lined by deciduous trees. Granted a lot of the evergreen trees throughout the area would have been mowed down, especially in Seattle proper. Maybe a shot at the 7Eleven on Aurora in the U District would have been good as well. I know the movies were set in the time period they were filmed but shit, War Games and the Changling, not completely filmed in WA at least got some campus shots. Again, quite honestly, Suzzalo, Denny, sylvan grove and Rainier Vista feel like the biggest omissions.

No, its the classic "not true to the book" hollywood version. I still enjoyed it.

Some other glaring omissions. Rain. Jimmy Kimmel razzed clooney about it and yeah, there was no rain at all in the movie. Rain, mist, early morning workouts before the wind picks up.

Lastly I don't think it really stuck out that this was based on a true story. No epilogue really of the guys. Would have been easy to get some footage of the boys rowing years later to commemorate. Just some pictures along with the credits. I say this because one friend caught it early at a mystery movie night and wanted me to know there was no end of credits scene like you'd find in a Marvel movie. She clearly had not read the book.

I’m gonna have to fight hard through the geographic inaccuracy of the settings. I hate that lazy shit.
    luckily for them most of the us population could not tell the difference between UK or seattle
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

You're welcome

So the Wikipedia entry is almost directly copy-pasta from the Boys in the Boat. It didn't mention him having a kid, but does mention him never marrying.
    If he never married then he's a (gay) uncle not the dad

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

whlinder said:

You're welcome

The OG row peter puffer...
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,092
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    To be clear @haie I still enjoyed the movie, it just didn't live up to my ultra-doog expectations, and I feel like Clooney kind of 'mailed it in.' I'm sure King 5 would have sold some of their footage of the 50th anniversary row. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mai_xB9fHQ
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,987
    Swaye's Wigwam

To be clear @haie I still enjoyed the movie, it just didn't live up to my ultra-doog expectations, and I feel like Clooney kind of 'mailed it in.' I'm sure King 5 would have sold some of their footage of the 50th anniversary row. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mai_xB9fHQ

They had aged a lot by the time we all met them 10 years later.

Cool footage of former coach Dick Ericksen who I knew well. ‘86 was his last year before they sent him to pasture.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dale was the one
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

SECDAWG said:

“Boys in the boat”..

what I think about them boys:

I'm not even going to try to explain the story to you podnah. Rowboat has to be the least SEC sport of all time.
    Rowboat is a thinking man's game. SEC bros needn't apply.

PS: watch. SEC SEC will ask what part requires thinking.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,987
    Swaye's Wigwam

SECDAWG said:

“Boys in the boat”..

I'm not even going to try to explain the story to you podnah. Rowboat has to be the least SEC sport of all time.

Where’s the footage of a young, swarthy, law dawg in Moch’s office @creepycoug ?
  • Options

SECDAWG said:

“Boys in the boat”..

Where’s the footage of a young, swarthy, law dawg in Moch’s office @creepycoug ?
    Only my resume and his. Otherwise, it's just another creepycoug tall tale.
  • Options

Pics of Hume stroking the senior varsity eight?

This makes up for your shaky performance on the Cristobal thread. All is forgiven. Apology accepted.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

You're welcome

Why do you hate knocking chicks up but not committing?

But likely he was the uncle or the other dad. From his 2001 Obit:

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/don-hume-member-of-uw-s-legendary-36-crew-team-1065992.php

The surviving members of the crew -- with the death of Hume, four are still living -- have continued to meet on a regular basis. The wild card was always Hume, who spent much of his time on the road, due to business.

"Ninety percent of the time you'd never know if Don would be there," Moch said. "But each time he'd show up, with a bottle of champagne in each hand."

Hume is survived by a brother, Dale, of Olympia.
    It was reported to me by someone (another creepy tall tale I suppose) that Hume wasn't really that into having the big win be his primary identity in life, at least certainly not in the way it was for Rantz. The same source said that he had an aloof snicker (like most Oly guys, see our own @RaceBannon ) and was said to periodically chuckle - but not quite guffaw - over the fuss the other guysms made about it all.

Hume is also the guy, I believe, who stayed at the family residence in Everett after they moved to O Town to finish out college or something and, when it was time to go, packed his shit in an actual row boat and made his way down the sound. Maybe suburban legend, but with those guys that would not have been that crazy as it might sound to one us here in soft ass land.