Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offishul Boys in the Boat movie thread

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Don Hume moved to Olympia and had a son I went to school with. He was a member of the Olympia Country and Golf Club and ran the Husky Coaches caravan when they came by every summer

You're welcome

So the Wikipedia entry is almost directly copy-pasta from the Boys in the Boat. It didn't mention him having a kid, but does mention him never marrying.
    If he never married then he's a (gay) uncle not the dad

Why do you hate knocking chicks up but not committing?

But likely he was the uncle or the other dad. From his 2001 Obit:

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/don-hume-member-of-uw-s-legendary-36-crew-team-1065992.php

The surviving members of the crew -- with the death of Hume, four are still living -- have continued to meet on a regular basis. The wild card was always Hume, who spent much of his time on the road, due to business.

"Ninety percent of the time you'd never know if Don would be there," Moch said. "But each time he'd show up, with a bottle of champagne in each hand."

Hume is survived by a brother, Dale, of Olympia.
    It was reported to me by someone (another creepy tall tale I suppose) that Hume wasn't really that into having the big win be his primary identity in life, at least certainly not in the way it was for Rantz. The same source said that he had an aloof snicker (like most Oly guys, see our own @RaceBannon ) and was said to periodically chuckle - but not quite guffaw - over the fuss the other guysms made about it all.

Hume is also the guy, I believe, who stayed at the family residence in Everett after they moved to O Town to finish out college or something and, when it was time to go, packed his shit in an actual row boat and made his way down the sound. Maybe suburban legend, but with those guys that would not have been that crazy as it might sound to one us here in soft ass land.
    Not a suburban legend per
    https://www.cascadiadaily.com/news/2023/dec/19/uws-1936-olympic-rowers-shaped-by-hard-work-struggles/

The whole series on Hume and Adam is absolutely worth a read.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,914
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    pawz said:

pawz said:

haie said:

Damn, it feels like only me and PJ Fleck liked the movie.

I haven’t seen it yet pod. Keep the faith @haie
    I see it tomorrow (13 hrs from this poasting). Will report back.

I watched it.

I really enjoyed the movie. I didn't suffer from having high expectations because Hollywood AWAYS water's down the original book.

Quite honestly, was pleasantly surprised by how much love UW got. Could it have been more? Sure. Am I going to hold it against the movie makers? Absolutely not.

The scene from the slum with the Smith Tower in the background could have been shot today. I know i know, TITTT.

Would have preferred a scene of Rantz's girl getting 8-manned (swidt?). Se la vie.

Will watch again.

Except there was no dole for the Bums of ‘36 and unemployment was 25 percent.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,840
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 19
    Joe’s gal was wood worthy too.

Hoping Ubrickson’s wife gets some more roles with less clothes.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,777
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Finally took the little pisses to the movie last week.

It was fine, but we're not going to win any Oscars with it.

Pros:
    - So much FREE PUB for MY Team and MY University
    - Little pisses all excited about row boat now and are doing erg pieces out in the garage and organized my collection of jerseys from the loser teams
    - George Pocock scenes are cool (although they don't explain who this English guy is building the boat)
    - They did a good job recreating the ASUW Shellhouse and what Montlake looked like in the early 30s after it was clear cut in previous decades.
    - Ulbrickson's wife is hot AF
    - Hitler got really mad at the end

Cons:
    - They butchered the book and tried to condense 3 years of team history into 6 months (e.g., they didn't send the JV boat to Olympics); none UW rowing historians won't be as bothered by this.
    - Little to no character development
    - The recreated Lake Washington race course looks like nothing like the real thing (Poughkeepsie and Berlin looked more realistic)
    - The quality of the rowing by these actors is terrible, but again the average movie goers won't notice or care

But I was told Clooney hired the Olympic rowboat coach to work with the actors for 6 mos. Just what I heard, don’t twist.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Finally took the little pisses to the movie last week.

It was fine, but we're not going to win any Oscars with it.

Pros:
    - So much FREE PUB for MY Team and MY University
    - Little pisses all excited about row boat now and are doing erg pieces out in the garage and organized my collection of jerseys from the loser teams
    - George Pocock scenes are cool (although they don't explain who this English guy is building the boat)
    - They did a good job recreating the ASUW Shellhouse and what Montlake looked like in the early 30s after it was clear cut in previous decades.
    - Ulbrickson's wife is hot AF
    - Hitler got really mad at the end

Cons:
    - They butchered the book and tried to condense 3 years of team history into 6 months (e.g., they didn't send the JV boat to Olympics); none UW rowing historians won't be as bothered by this.
    - Little to no character development
    - The recreated Lake Washington race course looks like nothing like the real thing (Poughkeepsie and Berlin looked more realistic)
    - The quality of the rowing by these actors is terrible, but again the average movie goers won't notice or care

But I was told Clooney hired the Olympic rowboat coach to work with the actors for 6 mos. Just what I heard, don’t twist.

You can learn how to fake it in 6 months, but it won’t look pretty.

And I don’t think they were doing college level practices 6 days a week.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I watched it this week and Yellow Piss is pretty spot on (not shocking)

I had not read the book and loosely knew the story (WINNING) … but didn’t know the details

The JV boat thing made zero sense in the movie and felt like PURE HOLLYWOOD … to any sport knowledgeable person the idea that you’re going from novice to Olympic Champion in a 6-12 month period just isn’t believable

The lack of character development really didn’t sit right with me … the title is The Boys In The Boat but it feels like Rantz and everybody else. You shouldn’t leave the movie and feel like you don’t know who each rower was and what seat they were in

As others noted, the lack of an epilogue was a GIANT MISS

I’ll need Yella to confirm this or not … but did Cal actually give UW the money to get over the finish line? Feeling grateful to Cal about anything makes me feel sick

What I did like was I thought they did a good job of highlighting the struggles that many in that time period went through to just get to the next day

As a rowing novice I thought they did a good job of highlighting how important the midget runt coxswain is to the operation

All in all … the story is pleasant enough and hits the cliff notes of the story in a relatively watered down manner that is easily consumed

As others noted, this isn’t an award winning movie and it does make me wonder what could have been done with this story in the hands of a more experienced director
  • Options
    The piano playing scene was stupid and entirely unnecessary.

Joe losing his V card with Coukee City hookers would have been a better use of tim.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Joe losing his V card with Coukee City hookers would have been a better use of tim.

We have kids that wanted to see the film @PurpleThrobber dont be selfish.
  • Options

We have kids that wanted to see the film @PurpleThrobber dont be selfish.
    Kids today need to learn the facts of life just like we did - on the streets, on Cinemax and from dad’s stolen Playboy mags.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

Cal did not fund the last part. That was a Hollywood script edit. The boys were Washingtonians funded by Washingtonians winning for Washington.

Good … as always FUCK CAL
  • Options

It was good character development … that they ended up doing nothing with

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,075
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Cal did not fund the last part. That was a Hollywood script edit. The boys were Washingtonians funded by Washingtonians winning for Washington.

The Seattle Times kicked off donations with $500. Fundraising also was very much spearheaded by Royal Brougham at the times. Donations flooded in so fast from depression Era Washington they had the 5K in two days.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

My child went a second time to see it, this time with her Penn State college friends and after having read the book. Her friends all liked the movie and none of them would have had any exposure to UW rowing in their lives (Pittsburgh/Philly/Boston).

It has also started showing up for rent on streaming services for those who are so inclined.

• Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,987
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

If we’re all being honest this movie was just OK. Very B-movie-esque.