Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offishul Boys in the Boat movie thread

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

haie said:

haie said:

Go motherfucking huskies.
    @haie with a bit of stealth has become the #1 non-former row peter puffer, row boat fan boy of our boards. I'm very proud.

I mean, hell, I don't even have any Boys in the Boat gear, just the regular old gear from the Bookstore.

I like that shirt, Yella. Simple, classic.
    There’s also the basic Adidas version. Let me know if you want me to PM some bicep pics @Doog_de_Jour . Been doing some curls for you.

@whlinder the adidas stuff runs small. XL is too small for me after a wash. Gonna order a XXL. But i am a bit bigger than you.

I took some old UW gear to Seattle last week to donate at goodwill. I had to include a newish Adidas hoody because even though it was a large, it runs small and I’ve got some girth.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

@haie with a bit of stealth has become the #1 non-former row peter puffer, row boat fan boy of our boards. I'm very proud.

I mean, hell, I don't even have any Boys in the Boat gear, just the regular old gear from the Bookstore.

There’s also the basic Adidas version. Let me know if you want me to PM some bicep pics @Doog_de_Jour . Been doing some curls for you.

@whlinder the adidas stuff runs small. XL is too small for me after a wash. Gonna order a XXL. But i am a bit bigger than you.

I took some old UW gear to Seattle last week to donate at goodwill. I had to include a newish Adidas hoody because even though it was a XXXLarge, it runs small and I’ve got some girth.
    ftfy.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,092
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a Joe Rantz daughter signed 36 row boat poster and about 15 movie posters I took after the Utah game.

I checked all the stalls at halftime of the game but never saw you.
    I got stuck in line picking up some nacho cheese for our special meeting. Fingers crossed Mrs nacho extends that hall pass for our night of debauchery in Bloomington.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2023

haie said:

haie said:

I will never turn down hot bicep pics, especially from you Rowboat.😉

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,933
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

haie said:

haie said:

The chicken-grease stains are a nice touch.

Thanks Pawz!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,987
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

haie said:

haie said:

Water spots. Fresh out the shower.

Chicken grease will come in due time.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,317
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

Definitely cum stains under the W there.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,822
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

pawz said:

haie said:

haie said:

Water spots. Fresh out the shower.

Chicken grease will come in due time.
    *tim

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,302
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Keeping track of the free pub is hard
    The Boys in the Boat cast trained 'just like regular rowers'

Hollywood at the Head of the Charles

WaPo holiday move season guide

The Boys in the Boat
    Return to menu

(Dec. 25, PG-13)

Starring: Callum Turner, Joel Edgerton.

Based on a nonfiction bestseller that charted the unlikely rise of a crew team from Depression-era Washington state to a gold medal in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, director George Clooney’s inspirational sports drama stars Turner (“Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore”) as one of the rowers, Joe Rantz, and Edgerton (“Master Gardener”) as his coach, Al Ulbrickson.

Talking point: Clooney, a fine actor who has been nominated four times for his on-camera work — winning once, for supporting actor in “Syriana” — has fared less well behind the camera. Although he was nominated for both writing and directing “Good Night, and Good Luck,” his only non-acting Oscar win was for producing “Argo.” It’s not for lack of trying. “The Boys in the Boat” follows in the footsteps of such failed Oscar bids as “The Tender Bar,” “The Midnight Sky,” “Suburbicon” and “The Ides of March” — all directed by Clooney and all opening in the heart of Oscar season.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

Man, a whole month to pop off and talk shit and then this movie is going to be out right before the Playoffs. Holy fucking doog.

If we manage to pull off football Natty we will never again reach the Doog boner status we'll be walking around with from Christmas through, I don't know, fuck, the end of January?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,536
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

haie said:

Man, a whole month to pop off and talk shit and then this movie is going to be out right before the Playoffs. Holy fucking doog.

If we manage to pull off football Natty we will never again reach the Doog boner status we'll be walking around with from Christmas through, I don't know, fuck, the end of January?
    The 91 boner lasted until 92 Arizona

• Options
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

haie said:

The 91 boner lasted until 92 Arizona

Thank you for your service.

This boner would be a bigger boner tho
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,987
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    https://www.row2k.com/features/6204/building-boats-for--the-boys----part-1/

The film will take viewers back to the days of wooden shells when the titular Boys rowed their famed Pocock eight to victory at the 1936 Olympics. Recreating that world required boats which would fit the bill. While there were some wooden boats used to make parts of the film, including two eights purpose-built by two of the last remaining wooden boatbuilders in the UK, the filmmakers also relied on a fleet of ten carbon-fiber shells dressed to fit the part--a fleet which came to be thanks to WinTech.

WinTech's Dave Dickison, Brent Keuch, and Terry O’Neill--who himself became very involved in the film when he was ultimately asked to coach the actors who would row the boats--shared the story behind their contributions to the boats and the film.

In the end, WinTech built eleven carbon-fiber hulled boats for the film: a prototype that they used to show the production company how they could replicate the look of a wooden shell, and then ten shells which were rowed in the film. The prototype ultimately made it into the film as well, as a prop. That shell, said Keuch, WinTech's Chief Marketing Officer, can be seen on the racks in the boathouse in a few scenes, where, of course, it looks just like another wooden shell.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Clooney on Jimmy Kimmel Live

https://youtu.be/GYRb5167Qz0?t=468

Part 2 on the boats used. The attention to detail down to the oarlock swivels...
    https://www.row2k.com/features/6205/building-boats-for--the-boys----part-2/

Getting down to specific details like the wood grain would go on to play a role in the film, differentiating Washington's Pocock hull from the other shells in the Olympic final.

"The boats had to look different," Brent Keuch said, "because in 1936 [at the Olympics], there was only one Pocock."

"In the final, you had the Italians using the Donoratico, the Germans were using a Pirsch, the British were using the Sims," according to O’Neill. "With all of those, there wasn't that much obvious difference, but what was very different was that the gunnel on the Pocock used a very light colored pine. So the boat was two-tone and it was quite distinct, whereas the other boats would be stain varnished all the way over in one color."