Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jen Cohen spotted at LAX

Comments

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For all the BDE we've? been getting from UW's President's Office lately, #FireCauce could move up in the rankings real fast if UW screws this up.
  • Options
    CatGutCatGut Member Posts: 83
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This diversion is fun, because it’s pretty meaningless. Nobody is going to lose sleep over Jen Cohen leaving. Even if she was a top-10 AD, it’s not the same as losing a coach.

A great coach can be program changing, and a mediocre one will tank the program.

Even if I buy that a great AD (whatever that means) can really help a program, a mediocre one isn’t the same drop off as it is with coaches.

Relatedly, the string of AD failures at USC suggests to me that the problem there isn’t that they haven’t found the right AD, there’s an institutional issue.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,894
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    CatGut said:

This diversion is fun, because it’s pretty meaningless. Nobody is going to lose sleep over Jen Cohen leaving. Even if she was a top-10 AD, it’s not the same as losing a coach.

A great coach can be program changing, and a mediocre one will tank the program.

Even if I buy that a great AD (whatever that means) can really help a program, a mediocre one isn’t the same drop off as it is with coaches.

Relatedly, the string of AD failures at USC suggests to me that the problem there isn’t that they haven’t found the right AD, there’s an institutional issue.

J?
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Take a look at the last few AD hires at USC. All disasters.
    Then the list of other candidates they had besides Jen this time around. SC can pay whatever and has one of the most desirable spots for an AD west of the Mississippi.

The profession seems filled with mediocrity. So not exactly sure what's an amazingly better option than Peterman is my only point... yes, we should try though. However, we probably need to manage expectations in here a bit before we hire internally or take on the AD from Southeastern Tennessee State University.
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 598
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Gladstone said:

My elation at the news has turned to horrified as people I (previously) consider(ed) intelligent keep name-dropping Petersen to be the replacement. I'm way more pro-Petersen than most here as a coach, and I still think he's one of the worst choices to be an AD in the current age. Philosophically he's about as anti-NIL as you can get, and experientially he has never even been an AD before. Get the fuck out of here with that.

This is a major inflection point for the AD. With Cohen's departure, our connection to the Decade of Shame is now fully severed. We can dramatically upgrade (or downgrade) the AD culture with this hire. Let KDB pick the next one, or at a minimum let him heavily vet and sign-off on candidates before putting offers in front of them.

Not out of the realm of possibilities that Cohen just takes Peterman along as her "consultant" -- lots more money in the USC coffers coming with that sweet full share, and to other people's points, doesn't actually have to be responsible for anything specific in that sort of role
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,560
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sorry guys I’ve been in meetings all day.

Has someone made the stepping stone school joke yet?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    thechatch said:

Sorry guys I’ve been in meetings all day.

Has someone made the stepping stone school joke yet?

Aks @Kaepsknee ...
  • Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sark 2.0 incoming
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That title though ... "Deputy Athletic Director & Senior Woman Administrator"

Like there would be a Senior Man Administrator.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club