Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If you don’t think AI will kill us all

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I’ve been demoing some software packages lately. Hadn't looked at anything for about a year. Got led down the ChatGP rabbit hole in the process.

Incredible how far things have come in a short time. Watched a session where a senior accounting person essentially turned the ChatBot into a first year staff person in about a hour. The learning curve on these machines is amazing and they don't have a know it all attitude like the Millenials/GenZers.

@creepycoug is correct - the low level grunts in any profession are going to get picked off first. If I was a bookkeeper or paralegal, I'd learn how to drive an excavator or build an OnlyFans page. They are toast. And toast like 5 years or less toast. Their only saving grace is partners in law and accounting firms are old and slow to change their ways so there will be a few stragglers. But once the upper level folks start bragging to one another about how much money they are saving, it's over.

Hell, I'm old enough to remember when financial statements were typed up by the secretary - and there were shitloads of secretaries who didn't know shit about accounting, they just knew how to type. Legal matters were conducted by dictaphone and yellow pad. There was no such thing as word processing or spreadsheets.

More senior people will just have their underlings deal with the AIBots and then ride off into the sunset.

The people who should be shitting bricks are the ones in their late 30s/early 40's who've already paid their dues with grunt work but aren't quite old enough to think about retiring. They'll be next on the chopping block. Once the bots perfect the low level shit, their learning will logically move up to the next level of work.

(It was Bobby Knight who coined the 'lay back and enjoy it' phrase, BTW).

This, especially the bragging about saved money. While Race and the other hippies are protesting down in the lobby, fat ugly lawyers smoking cigars will be laffing counting up dollar bills, unaware that they are participating in their children's demise. Race will be right, again.

Yes, on the Bobby Knight. Thank you. I should not forget that.

PS: I remember when my law firm had an entire Word Processing Center. There must've been twenty or more people in their typing up briefs and contracts. Word Perfect was a better word processing application, but it was too complicated for the lawyers. We also had a "copy center". Another 10 or more "professionals" working there.

No mas.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,934
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

I'm wondering if the diseases actually came from my Vikings who beat Spain to America rather easily. They visited around the time that the plague had come to Europe from China

You would think that it would have cleaned out the red man or it would remain prevalent in the population like it was in Europe before the vaxx.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm wondering if the diseases actually came from my Vikings who beat Spain to America rather easily. They visited around the time that the plague had come to Europe from China

You would think that it would have cleaned out the red man or it would remain prevalent in the population like it was in Europe before the vaxx.
    Good point
  • Options

The red man represents a distinct dna sequence, or something. Male red men don't lose their hair, they don't burn in the sun, and they have a well understood intolerance for the fire water. They are more and less prone to things as compared to the white devil.

@Swaye
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I think they were up around Newfoundland and BFE, Canada.

They did beat the Spanish/Portuguese heathens by quite a bit. Didnt stick around for long, though.

I dont think the Viking aids ever made it down to Central Mejico, or even @Swaye
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

AI has a long way to go before it can be a fucking lawyer. Get a grip

Nope. Basic research, wills and trusts, corporate and business org docs, writing an appellate brief, filing a motion in most cases are pretty basic and repetitive. Please write a preliminary injunction to be filed in Washington federal district court to halt the Washington new anti-gun legislation. You will still need lawyers to supervise, organize, review and argue but a lot of paralegals will be toast along with rank and file attorneys who were doing the above mentioned work.
    No one wants to do business with an AI

This is the part you gloss over.

Sure, paralegals could get replaced. Lawyers arent.
    Lot's of lawyers are involved in rote business. You should get out more.
    Good luck being represented by the robots.

Im sure the judge and jury will love it!!
    If you could read and understand basic concepts then you wouldn't need to be phucking strawman ass.
    AI is not going to take over as much as you think
    Just like expanding government overreach, I believe tech and AI more likely to organically outgrow itself than not.

I'm not a skynet doomsdayer, but it's a concern worth having.

Also, maybe the genx, boomers (maybe some early millennials) will struggle doing business with robots, but I can see the iPad VR babies accepting it as the norm.

Again, not a doomsday guy, but based off the trajectory I've witnessed in my lifetime, it's easier to imagine the Matrix than some harmonious AI enriched human utopia.
    Can I ask why to your last point?

The world is night and day better than it was 100 years ago.
    Agree the world is better, we're no longer worried about sabertooth tigers, syphilis isn't a death sentence, access to info, etc.. but I think we are getting fatter, lazier, and more dependent on machines in a way that will most likely be manipulated.

I'd argue the Revolutionary War would have never been fought if the brits could plug the populace into the internet. It's never been better, but we're hardly alive enough to care if we're being stripped of freedom/purpose.

When half the population has no useful function and are obsolete, what does that look like for society?

We're going to find out one way or the other, i just see it more likely we end up living "happy, easy" lives disconnected from reality than a truly human experience.

Truly, what a time to be alive.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I also stress out about deep fakes, the lack of credible news sources is really going to be the end of us.

When you are able to accurately 1:1 represent conversations and events that never happened, you could flood the system with an incredible amount of false narratives and paralyze society. You couldn't trust your eyes or your ears, you'd have to BE there to really know. Even then, assuming VR tech progresses, you couldn't even trust you're actually there at all.

It's an insane rabbit hole.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2023
    You guys worry too much...

UBI is a lot more likley than Skynet

The machines wont need to do population control anyways. Births are down across the globe.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2023

The machines wont need to do population control anyways. Births are down across the globe.

Your generation is exactly what @Doogles is talking about. Too cool for school as we used to say. Why worry?

Because you have no grasp of history or human nature. Keep scrolling bro. UBI needs someone to pay into it. Who would that be?

There is no reason to keep a large population that does nothing that you need to pay. You're actually giving credence to the theory that your masters want to trim 81% of the world population.

@Doogles is dialed in on deep fakes and the general destruction of society

Good luck the rest of the way

I had a good run. I doubt you will because you want to leave it in the hands of folks who don't give a shit about you
    Sounds grim.

Bodies stacked like cordwood? Lmao

Again - you worry too much

Keep worrying buddy
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,934
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Rome had an idle population and how did that work out? At the end they didn't have the will to defend themselves. Sounds familiar. We will pay money we don't have to defend a border 4600 miles away, but won't even pretend to defend our own southern border. Then we are happy to provide bread and circuses to the invaders. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. If you won't work to earn a living but expect someone else to provide for you, you aren't living, you are just existing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Your generation is exactly what @Doogles is talking about. Too cool for school as we used to say. Why worry?

Because you have no grasp of history or human nature. Keep scrolling bro. UBI needs someone to pay into it. Who would that be?

There is no reason to keep a large population that does nothing that you need to pay. You're actually giving credence to the theory that your masters want to trim 81% of the world population.

I had a good run. I doubt you will because you want to leave it in the hands of folks who don't give a shit about you
    Sounds grim.

Bodies stacked like cordwood? Lmao

Again - you worry too much

Keep worrying buddy
    I'm not worried. Just keep paying my social security

I'll be gone by the time you wake up and realize you should have given a shit after all

Like your masters, I don't care
  • Options
    Founders Club

Rome had an idle population and how did that work out? At the end they didn't have the will to defend themselves. Sounds familiar. We will pay money we don't have to defend a border 4600 miles away, but won't even pretend to defend our own southern border. Then we are happy to provide bread and circuses to the invaders. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. If you won't work to earn a living but expect someone else to provide for you, you aren't living, you are just existing.

Im hearing the ChatGPT Visigoths are tanned, rested, and ready.

The Western American empire grew decadent and might fall, but the Eastern American Empire, headquarted in Constantinople, will exist for another thousand years.

CHRIST
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,834

The vax took care of the birthrate. It wasn't bug it was a feature.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Sledog said:

People are having less babies as income and development increases

You don't need 50 kids to help out on the frontier farm anymore
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,834

Sledog said:

Sterilized millions.
  • Options

I know I do.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sterilized millions.
    The vaccine????
  • Options

Rome was always going to fall. If it wasn't that (and I'm not sure it was entirely or mostly that), it would have been something else. Rome was born of high stakes betrayal. Romulus killed Remus over an argument about where to begin the building of Rome. Even at its very beginning, one brother killed another to hold @Swaye over Rome. The city was constantly ebbing and flowing for the better and for the worse over political rivalry and skulduggery. Rome was doomed from the start. But what a fucking empire it was, eh?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Rome was always going to fall. If it wasn't that (and I'm not sure it was entirely or mostly that), it would have been something else. Rome was born of high stakes betrayal. Romulus killed Remus over an argument about where to begin the building of Rome. Even at its very beginning, one brother killed another to hold @Swaye over Rome. The city was constantly ebbing and flowing for the better and for the worse over political rivalry and skulduggery. Rome was doomed from the start. But what a fucking empire it was, eh?
    And how is America or any other empire that followed not doomed?

Repeating the same mistakes seems dumb but PGOS don't care bro