Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What do you hate most about air travel these days?

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
    The "air" part.

Only fly first class. Hawaii and Texas.

Can't stand it.

Won't fly anymore. Just won't.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Turbulence
    haie said:

The "air" part.

Only fly first class. Hawaii and Texas.

Can't stand it.

Won't fly anymore. Just won't.

Oh but *I* sound so white and rich
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Delays and/or cancellations
    chuck said:

dflea said:

When I was about 8, my brother and I flew a red-eye from O'Hare to SeaTac on a 747 with about 15 people on it. After we got to cruising altitude and everyone was snoozing, we found an unattended drink cart, and pilfered a bunch of airline liquor bottles. I got wasted on Grasshoppers and got my diabetes all whacked out at the same time. Since we landed in the middle of the night, I told my mom I just woke up and that's why I was stumbling around. She either bought it or was too tired to GAF.

Anyone who has never been drunk while teetering in the brink of diabetic coma has never been properly drunk.
    We sure got a lot of diabeetus on these boards.

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

dflea said:

When I was about 8, my brother and I flew a red-eye from O'Hare to SeaTac on a 747 with about 15 people on it. After we got to cruising altitude and everyone was snoozing, we found an unattended drink cart, and pilfered a bunch of airline liquor bottles. I got wasted on Grasshoppers and got my diabetes all whacked out at the same time. Since we landed in the middle of the night, I told my mom I just woke up and that's why I was stumbling around. She either bought it or was too tired to GAF.

Anyone who has never been drunk while teetering in the brink of diabetic coma has never been properly drunk.

Mine isn't the old and fat kind of diabeetus, but still.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

chuck said:

dflea said:

Mine is, though I've never been fat and I've had it since well before I got old.. It's a gift my dad's side of the family shared. Drinking doesn't usually throw me off much but I had a couple of incidents where it did. Weed is much safer but then I have that sweet tooth...
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    chuck said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

dflea said:

Mine is, though I've never been fat and I've had it since well before I got old.. It's a gift my dad's side of the family shared. Drinking doesn't usually throw me off much but I had a couple of incidents where it did. Weed is much safer but then I have that sweet tooth...
    Bummer. But there are worse things we could have to deal with. I only got the bg out of whack back then because I had no idea what my bg was at any given time - and Grasshoppers are loaded with carbs. You pissed on a stick back then - and that told you what your bg was hours ago. Completely useless for managing diabetes, but that's all there was. Not just that, I took one shot a day and that was supposed to control your bg all day.

Now I have a nifty CGM, so I know what my bg is all the time, and I take about 6 shots a day. I can pretty much eat or drink what I want and adjust the amount of fast-acting insulin I take and keep myself dialed in most of the time. A complete game-changer - and now I have my a1c hemoglobin in the 5.7-6.2 range without tweaking out with low bg all the time. High bg will kill you - but low bg will kill you today.

I also favor weed over alcohol - but still maintain a close relationship with booze.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

I don't hate air travel - it's just not as cool as it used to be. It's still better than driving, though.

A few years ago, we went back to Michigan to visit the in-laws. My wife and kids drove - I flew. It took them almost 40 hours of driving, and took me 6 and a half hours flying, including changing planes in Chicago.

But I didn't have a hot stewardess, they wouldn't let me in the cockpit or give me a set of wings, and they didn't hand out pretzel sticks and Schulers bar cheese - so it wasn't as cool as it used to be.

That kind of fun shit doesn't go on these days, so now I just grab a couple Bloody Marys prior to boarding and then sit down and listen to music so I don't want to murder people.

At 8 years old you knew how to mix a grasshopper and were getting drunk!? At 8 years old, my kids couldn't boil macaroni.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2023
    Fishpo31 said:

People not prepared for the TSA line. It's akin to people not being prepared to pump their gas at Costco. You had 5 minutes to put your incidentals in your pants pocket in nook of your carry on. Loosen your shoes. That being said some of the bullshit TSA requires from one location to the next, or even continues to require is baffling. Oh and people travelling with animals. Also check your bags.

Living in Lexington, I’m used to going out of a small airport often with only one X-ray machine. Since I’m precheck, I get a big laminated card so the X-ray people know I’m not taking off my shoes or removing my laptop. I’ve had the same experience flying out of Kauai.

Fly out of Palm Beach 2 years ago and they had minimum staffing and only one line so I get the big laminated card. Send my bag through and the fucking idiots pull it and ask if I have any electronics. I’m like yup. Fucking idiots starry nearly yelling at me that it’s supposed to come out. I reply that I’m precheck and they keep nearly yelling, it doesn’t matter.

That episode made my blood pressure go up a couple points.
    After 9/11, I routinely got pulled in for electronics. Trying to explain to a couple of cement head TSA agents the purpose of a radar gun is not enjoyable. In Anchorage, I got put in an interrogation room and was there for an hour...at one point, I was going back and forth trying to decide whom I would call first, my boss or my attorney. Finally, they brought in an FBI guy who had a clue...We got letters to carry from the commissioner's office after about 6 months, with a LEO hotline number...
    In the 1990s coming back from France I got taken aside after arriving at Sea-Tac and taken to a room for roughly 45 minutes.

When me and my buddies Xavier et Francis were driving across the border from New York into Quebec at 2AM, we got separated and taken into 3 separate rooms and grilled. The car was searched.

Finally, I have been pulled out of line at airports 5-6 times and had my travel bag emptied and swabbed. I've never been arrested or spent time incarcerated. But I don't know...
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    Founders Club

Fishpo31 said:

People not prepared for the TSA line. It's akin to people not being prepared to pump their gas at Costco. You had 5 minutes to put your incidentals in your pants pocket in nook of your carry on. Loosen your shoes. That being said some of the bullshit TSA requires from one location to the next, or even continues to require is baffling. Oh and people travelling with animals. Also check your bags.

Living in Lexington, I’m used to going out of a small airport often with only one X-ray machine. Since I’m precheck, I get a big laminated card so the X-ray people know I’m not taking off my shoes or removing my laptop. I’ve had the same experience flying out of Kauai.

Fly out of Palm Beach 2 years ago and they had minimum staffing and only one line so I get the big laminated card. Send my bag through and the fucking idiots pull it and ask if I have any electronics. I’m like yup. Fucking idiots starry nearly yelling at me that it’s supposed to come out. I reply that I’m precheck and they keep nearly yelling, it doesn’t matter.

After 9/11, I routinely got pulled in for electronics. Trying to explain to a couple of cement head TSA agents the purpose of a radar gun is not enjoyable. In Anchorage, I got put in an interrogation room and was there for an hour...at one point, I was going back and forth trying to decide whom I would call first, my boss or my attorney. Finally, they brought in an FBI guy who had a clue...We got letters to carry from the commissioner's office after about 6 months, with a LEO hotline number...
    In the 1990s coming back from France I got taken aside after arriving at Sea-Tac and taken to a room for roughly 45 minutes.

When me and my buddies Xavier et Francis were driving across the border from New York into Quebec at 2AM, we got separated and taken into 3 separate rooms and grilled. The car was searched.

Finally, I have been pulled out of line at airports 5-6 times and had my travel bag emptied and swabbed. I've never been arrested or spent time incarcerated. But I don't know...
    Obviously, they've heard of Derek Johnson and his crew.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

A good friend, also a Johnson, has a son that is on the no-fly list (in name only), and has been since he was 10 years old…after several years, I think they got it figured out, but my buddy got very close to being arrested several times when the boy got repeatedly flagged and pulled in…
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

Fishpo31 said:

Hardy har har
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    Uncomfortable seats

Fishpo31 said:

They see the shit you post and are making sure you’re not trafficking Indians and Koreans.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fat people seated next to you
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

A good friend, also a Johnson, has a son that is on the no-fly list (in name only), and has been since he was 10 years old…after several years, I think they got it figured out, but my buddy got very close to being arrested several times when the boy got repeatedly flagged and pulled in…
    The no fly list is an affront to liberty and due process.