Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What do you hate most about air travel these days?

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Delays and/or cancellations

I don't think I can single out any one single thing that is the most annoying. It all varies. Yes, the TSA bullshit is irritating, but you go to the airport expecting it, so you can kind of mentally prepare.

More than anything, I hate the once-a-year traveler in the terminal. They always look lost and mill about. There is zero situational awareness. Then, there are the people who walk 5-6 abreast, so you can't get around them. Just a group of clueless cows, walking slowly and blocking everyone else going in either direction. You can make the terminal a mile wide and people will still get in your way.

Then, there are the gate lice. Everyone has to swarm the boarding area and be the first one on. In a way I understand, the overhead bin limit encourages this behavior... & it is nice to get to your seat, get situated, and build your nest.

Misbehaving children, fatties, etc. maybe don't bother me that much any more. One thing I truly hate is people behind you using your headrest to when they are getting up or getting back into their seats. Hey fuckface, use your goddamned armrest.

I should probably start getting back at them Kal Penn terrorist Giphy style.

One of my big pet peeves is the guysm/gal who walks off the plane into the terminal and stops right the bottleneck area next to the gate to look around
    It gives one the feeling of a God-like power
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Hot stewardesses? Fly a non-US or major Euro carrier.

Shitty food? Eat in the lounge or bring your own. If you want fine dining on an airplane then your expectations are fucked up.

Uncomfortable seats? Pay for more comfortable ones. Almost all airlines offer extra legroom seats for sale now.

Carry-on shit show? Get status and board first. Bring a properly fitting rollerboard.

Annoying children? They don’t usually sit in first/business/economy plus.

Gross bathrooms- yeah that’s a thing. It sucks. The physics of travel make avoiding that pretty tough.

Fat people? Same as annoying children. Rare to see in the front.

TSA isn’t bad either using Pre Check. Yes, it's security theater and therefore dumb, but doesn't actually hold up travel.

I dunno. I’m pretty patient and understanding now with other airline pax. When I need to take a walk to get some perspective an airport terminal is a fine place to see all of humanity in one place.
    Other pax get there early and board after me. If I no longer had status I’d travel less and pay for the services required to ensure it's tolerable.

Maybe I've got some recency bias. Had to travel this week. 6:30am departure. Set my alarm for 5am. At Dulles I have no parking issues, easy walk to TSA, no one in line. Walk out to terminal, walk to gate, not even ready to board, so I could have slept for 10 more mins. Board early enough with Delta Comfort+, put rollerboard above, get in seat. Lady with baby shows up, says hey I accidentally booked the two aisles, do you mind switching to the opposite aisle, I'm like sure, I don't want bad travel karma. Baby was fine, flight ontime departure but 10 mins late due to headwinds. Out in and a car 10 mins after gate. Going home, same deal, got uber 90 mins before departure, it dropped me about an hour before, zero line at MSP TSA, once again pissed I could have left 15 minutes later, putz around MSP, board with my UA status, get rollerboard in, settle into super legroom seat (first economy plus row of the E-175), depart ontime, awesome tailwinds so land 30 mins early.

ATBSJBS, I hate turbulence. Too much or certain sensations make my stomach queasy.

Christ @whlinder ...

What problem is there in life which can't be solved by money?

I mean we've got enough household disposable income to fly a family of 4 to London and back in Delta comfort plus. And the Virgin Atlantic / Delta lounge at Heathrow is pretty plush with good grub, tasty bloody Mary's, and pool tables.

But we're not getting 4 first class that lay down flat for a 9 hour flight. I mean come on man.

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Turbulence

whlinder said:

Shitty food? Eat in the lounge or bring your own. If you want fine dining on an airplane then your expectations are fucked up.

Uncomfortable seats? Pay for more comfortable ones. Almost all airlines offer extra legroom seats for sale now.

Carry-on shit show? Get status and board first. Bring a properly fitting rollerboard.

Gross bathrooms- yeah that’s a thing. It sucks. The physics of travel make avoiding that pretty tough.

TSA isn’t bad either using Pre Check. Yes, it's security theater and therefore dumb, but doesn't actually hold up travel.

I dunno. I’m pretty patient and understanding now with other airline pax. When I need to take a walk to get some perspective an airport terminal is a fine place to see all of humanity in one place.
    Other pax get there early and board after me. If I no longer had status I’d travel less and pay for the services required to ensure it's tolerable.

Maybe I've got some recency bias. Had to travel this week. 6:30am departure. Set my alarm for 5am. At Dulles I have no parking issues, easy walk to TSA, no one in line. Walk out to terminal, walk to gate, not even ready to board, so I could have slept for 10 more mins. Board early enough with Delta Comfort+, put rollerboard above, get in seat. Lady with baby shows up, says hey I accidentally booked the two aisles, do you mind switching to the opposite aisle, I'm like sure, I don't want bad travel karma. Baby was fine, flight ontime departure but 10 mins late due to headwinds. Out in and a car 10 mins after gate. Going home, same deal, got uber 90 mins before departure, it dropped me about an hour before, zero line at MSP TSA, once again pissed I could have left 15 minutes later, putz around MSP, board with my UA status, get rollerboard in, settle into super legroom seat (first economy plus row of the E-175), depart ontime, awesome tailwinds so land 30 mins early.

ATBSJBS, I hate turbulence. Too much or certain sensations make my stomach queasy.

Could you sound anymore old rich and white?

@TheKobeStopper
    @allpurpleallgold
    Sure I'll give it a try.

The best part was by getting in early I was able to make it to the cuntry club for a nice cab that drank like a merlot on the patio overlooking the river, followed by some acoustic cuntry music.

Tune in tomorrow when we discuss rowboat and golf.
    Standard Supporter
    Turbulence

whlinder said:

Christ @whlinder ...

I mean we've got enough household disposable income to fly a family of 4 to London and back in Delta comfort plus. And the Virgin Atlantic / Delta lounge at Heathrow is pretty plush with good grub, tasty bloody Mary's, and pool tables.

But we're not getting 4 first class that lay down flat for a 9 hour flight. I mean come on man.

I hear you and on my own dime I'd do the same.

Yes I could have commented more succinctly with

The poont as you said which I agree with is lack of misery is a function of straight cash homie. In air travel and everywhere else in life.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Christ @whlinder ...

I hear you and on my own dime I'd do the same.

Yes I could have commented more succinctly with

The poont as you said which I agree with is lack of misery is a function of straight cash homie. In air travel and everywhere else in life.

Standard Supporter
    Turbulence
    Although, I would like to understand how money solves turbulence. Which is what I hate the most about air travel after all.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
    Cash my inversely correlate to misery in general, but it's way more pronounced with air travel. I hate airports and flying more than almost anything. Truly a miserable way to spend half your day.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People not prepared for the TSA line. It's akin to people not being prepared to pump their gas at Costco. You had 5 minutes to put your incidentals in your pants pocket in nook of your carry on. Loosen your shoes. That being said some of the bullshit TSA requires from one location to the next, or even continues to require is baffling. Oh and people travelling with animals. Also check your bags.
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2023
    Turbulence

I'm not picking on you @whlinder, because quite a few people use the term "rollerboard". It's actually rollaboard.

Had to get that off my chest. Now, I can sleep at night.

TYFYS
    Swaye's Wigwam

People not prepared for the TSA line. It's akin to people not being prepared to pump their gas at Costco. You had 5 minutes to put your incidentals in your pants pocket in nook of your carry on. Loosen your shoes. That being said some of the bullshit TSA requires from one location to the next, or even continues to require is baffling. Oh and people travelling with animals. Also check your bags.

Yeah, fuck dogs on planes other than a REAL service animal. If you need an emotional support dog to leave the house then stay home.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pets don’t belong on planes unless you’re blind. I can maybe make a case for our veterans but if you dyed your hair blue… ok I’ve made my point… TITTT!
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Carry on luggage / overhead bin shit shows
    Toss up on the carryon luggage nonsense. The Throbber is a fashionista and needs more than one little bag for his apparel.

But the biggest fuck you is for the assholes who have no fucking idea on how to disembark. It’s like a wedding or a funeral, you fucking idiots. Don't dash out in front of the bride. Go row by row. Wait your goddamned turn.

The Throbber has put more than a few elbows into the chests of line jumpers.

That and the jackwads who crowd around the luggage carousel. GTFO of the way so other people can get their bags.

Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023

Toss up on the carryon luggage nonsense. The Throbber is a fashionista and needs more than one little bag for his apparel.

But the biggest fuck you is for the assholes who have no fucking idea on how to disembark. It’s like a wedding or a funeral, you fucking idiots. Don't dash out in front of the bride. Go row by row. Wait your goddamned turn.

The Throbber has put more than a few elbows into the chests of line jumpers.

That and the jackwads who crowd around the luggage carousel. GTFO of the way so other people can get their bags.

@MrsSnow legit threw a fucking D1 4/5 spot elbow into IU getting off the plane in Incheon on a connection for our Honeymoon.

@DerekJohnson the view afterwards

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club
    Fat people seated next to you

Living in Lexington, I’m used to going out of a small airport often with only one X-ray machine. Since I’m precheck, I get a big laminated card so the X-ray people know I’m not taking off my shoes or removing my laptop. I’ve had the same experience flying out of Kauai.

Fly out of Palm Beach 2 years ago and they had minimum staffing and only one line so I get the big laminated card. Send my bag through and the fucking idiots pull it and ask if I have any electronics. I’m like yup. Fucking idiots starry nearly yelling at me that it’s supposed to come out. I reply that I’m precheck and they keep nearly yelling, it doesn’t matter.

That episode made my blood pressure go up a couple points.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Living in Lexington, I’m used to going out of a small airport often with only one X-ray machine. Since I’m precheck, I get a big laminated card so the X-ray people know I’m not taking off my shoes or removing my laptop. I’ve had the same experience flying out of Kauai.

Fly out of Palm Beach 2 years ago and they had minimum staffing and only one line so I get the big laminated card. Send my bag through and the fucking idiots pull it and ask if I have any electronics. I’m like yup. Fucking idiots starry nearly yelling at me that it’s supposed to come out. I reply that I’m precheck and they keep nearly yelling, it doesn’t matter.

That episode made my blood pressure go up a couple points.
    White Wakanda International Airport works in the similar fashion @CFetters_Nacho_Lover - i.e., one line, but placard to indicate you don't need to remove shoes and laptops.