Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

McMillan's catch

124»

Comments

• Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

theLSkid said:

Football in Washington state has never been in a better postition, quite honestly

I’m just wondering how? They play the state title game at a High School instead of either UW, Century Link, and Roos, who all offered to host for only 1,500$.
    Teams aren’t allowed to bring more than 45 players to state title games, it costs HS’s 250$ PER KID to suit up over 45. For…what?
    We have been losing HS programs steadily over the last 10 years in the state, less kids playing every year.
    We have a top 24/7 writer in our state(Huffman) so our numbers are ultra inflated for recruits, even DeBoer mentioned how important Cali & Texas recruiting is before talking about WA recruits in his presser.

Not having the final four played at Husky Stadium or Clink is stupid. Not having the semi final aired live on Root is also dumb.
    They don’t even have the final on air anymore. No more Friday night radio reports as far as I know either. Times maybe covers one game a month in Western WA. It’s really pathetic and sad how far the whole ecosystem has fallen.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    TheHB said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

This all makes sense except the D2 reference. While not quite major D1, what I've seen of Texas HS football is well above D2, at least on facilities. I've been to the one in Prosper ... holy fucking shit. Western Washington and Central never played in a stadium like that, much less have one as their home field. Texas HS facilities are no fucking joke. The stadium depicted in Permian in the movie is trash now compared to what they have. I also drove by the South Lake HS stadium ... again, Ho Lee Fuck. It's unbelievable. Makes Pop Keeney, the nicest HS stadium here I've been to, look like a McDonald's playground.
    WA HS football is some of the saddest shit I’ve seen, and I played it. The “big schools” on the east side of the state get 300-800 people max at games, not sure what it’s like on the west side, but playing on saturdays at 11 definitely has hurt the culture of HS football out here, Friday Nights are the best part of HS Football.
    Attendance varies by program, but it’s not that different over here. Playoff games for local Seattle/Eastside schools playing against each other will be a lot more but not every Friday.

As someone who somewhat follows HS football, had no idea they played Saturday morning games. All leagues? Just some? When did that start? Fucking dumb.
    My pops taught at highline for awhile back in the day and he told me that a lot of the public schools switched to Saturday games once schools were sharing fields/stadiums, specifically smaller schools but when watching tape of Seattle kids I often notice that it’s daytime out, not under the lights too often. I’m not as well versed in west side HS football as many of you though.

I think at one point, 5-6 schools shared Highline Stadium and at least 2-3 shared Renton Stadium.
    Woodinville, Bothell and North Creek share Pop Keeney. Ed-Wood, Lynnwood, Meadowdale and MLT share Edmonds. Everett, Cascade and Jackson share Everett Memorial. Lots of Thursday or 5PM & 8PM Friday starts for those.
    I hear the intersection of Hwy 99 and 220th is also shared by MLT, Ed-Wood, Meadowdale and Lynnwood.
    Somebody likes Dick's.

Burgers.
  • Options

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

This all makes sense except the D2 reference. While not quite major D1, what I've seen of Texas HS football is well above D2, at least on facilities. I've been to the one in Prosper ... holy fucking shit. Western Washington and Central never played in a stadium like that, much less have one as their home field. Texas HS facilities are no fucking joke. The stadium depicted in Permian in the movie is trash now compared to what they have. I also drove by the South Lake HS stadium ... again, Ho Lee Fuck. It's unbelievable. Makes Pop Keeney, the nicest HS stadium here I've been to, look like a McDonald's playground.
    WA HS football is some of the saddest shit I’ve seen, and I played it. The “big schools” on the east side of the state get 300-800 people max at games, not sure what it’s like on the west side, but playing on saturdays at 11 definitely has hurt the culture of HS football out here, Friday Nights are the best part of HS Football.
    Attendance varies by program, but it’s not that different over here. Playoff games for local Seattle/Eastside schools playing against each other will be a lot more but not every Friday.

As someone who somewhat follows HS football, had no idea they played Saturday morning games. All leagues? Just some? When did that start? Fucking dumb.
    My pops taught at highline for awhile back in the day and he told me that a lot of the public schools switched to Saturday games once schools were sharing fields/stadiums, specifically smaller schools but when watching tape of Seattle kids I often notice that it’s daytime out, not under the lights too often. I’m not as well versed in west side HS football as many of you though.

I think at one point, 5-6 schools shared Highline Stadium and at least 2-3 shared Renton Stadium.
    Woodinville, Bothell and North Creek share Pop Keeney. Ed-Wood, Lynnwood, Meadowdale and MLT share Edmonds. Everett, Cascade and Jackson share Everett Memorial. Lots of Thursday or 5PM & 8PM Friday starts for those.
    Don't forget Inglemoor, fucktardo
    In all fairness, that is the most-forgotten High School in Western Washington.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,811
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

For consistent attendance & support, it's probably the large 2A schools that do the best like Lynden (FTGs) and Tumwater (#MyTBirds). Good 1A progrums—Royal, Connell, Lynden Christian (FTGs too), Montesano, Eatonville (#MyCruisers), Mt. Baker, Meridian—could make a strong case for being most rabid but just not as many people.

Lake Stevens, Glacier Peak and Snohomish turn out the fans pretty well with big-for-Washington stadiums. Same for Ferndale and sometims Burlington-Edison. From what I understand, Woodinville and Bothell get good support too. Puyallup, Auburn (I think), G-K. Basically suburban towns farther from the rotten Seattle core. I think the Tri Cities schools used to do pretty well, but that demo is shifting more & more towards fútbol. Same with places like Zillah. Speaking of Zillah and others, they have make strides in conversion therapy with their Hispanic population, which is cool.

What I've seen of Metro/KingCo support is disappointing considering the population base, but to be expected I suppose considering the demographic. I've been to playoff games twice at Bellevue and they had hardly anyone there. Went to a Rainer Beach game, granted that's been more than 20 years ago, deserted. O'Dea seems to be consistent.

EWA scheduling is confounded by distance. The league I grew up playing in had no more than a 25 min bus ride between any of the schools. Look at the Mid-Columbia or whatever that league is called now. 100 mile distance. Hell, Hermiston plays in that conference now.

We played @Kelso and it was by far the loudest/most fans i played in front of. Like 4k-5k people showed out.
  • Options

theLSkid said:

Football in Washington state has never been in a better postition, quite honestly

I’m just wondering how? They play the state title game at a High School instead of either UW, Century Link, and Roos, who all offered to host for only 1,500$.
    Teams aren’t allowed to bring more than 45 players to state title games, it costs HS’s 250$ PER KID to suit up over 45. For…what?
    We have been losing HS programs steadily over the last 10 years in the state, less kids playing every year.
    We have a top 24/7 writer in our state(Huffman) so our numbers are ultra inflated for recruits, even DeBoer mentioned how important Cali & Texas recruiting is before talking about WA recruits in his presser.

Not having the final four played at Husky Stadium or Clink is stupid. Not having the semi final aired live on Root is also dumb.
    All things considered, Tacoma Dome was the best place.
    Agreed. Also the biggest event of the year for all of Tacoma.

And I like Tacoma. Much nicer today than the early 90s.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,306
    In 75 they played the final at Memorial Stadium…I was there, in the frozen rain
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,811
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

For consistent attendance & support, it's probably the large 2A schools that do the best like Lynden (FTGs) and Tumwater (#MyTBirds). Good 1A progrums—Royal, Connell, Lynden Christian (FTGs too), Montesano, Eatonville (#MyCruisers), Mt. Baker, Meridian—could make a strong case for being most rabid but just not as many people.

Lake Stevens, Glacier Peak and Snohomish turn out the fans pretty well with big-for-Washington stadiums. Same for Ferndale and sometims Burlington-Edison. From what I understand, Woodinville and Bothell get good support too. Puyallup, Auburn (I think), G-K. Basically suburban towns farther from the rotten Seattle core. I think the Tri Cities schools used to do pretty well, but that demo is shifting more & more towards fútbol. Same with places like Zillah. Speaking of Zillah and others, they have make strides in conversion therapy with their Hispanic population, which is cool.

What I've seen of Metro/KingCo support is disappointing considering the population base, but to be expected I suppose considering the demographic. I've been to playoff games twice at Bellevue and they had hardly anyone there. Went to a Rainer Beach game, granted that's been more than 20 years ago, deserted. O'Dea seems to be consistent.

EWA scheduling is confounded by distance. The league I grew up playing in had no more than a 25 min bus ride between any of the schools. Look at the Mid-Columbia or whatever that league is called now. 100 mile distance. Hell, Hermiston plays in that conference now.

We played @Kelso and it was by far the loudest/most fans i played in front of. Like 4k-5k people showed out.
    @Kelso fans travel incredibly well.

They rocked the stands at Edmonds Stadium in 2016 or 17, losing a very tight game vs. Meadowdale.

Of course, if I lived in @Kelso, I'd also want to get as far away from town as possible whenever I could.
    Also extremely racist.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,728
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

@Kelso fans travel incredibly well.

They rocked the stands at Edmonds Stadium in 2016 or 17, losing a very tight game vs. Meadowdale.

Of course, if I lived in @Kelso, I'd also want to get as far away from town as possible whenever I could.
    Some nice places behind that shit hole along the Coweeman. Otherwise yes.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,800
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

In the old GSH before Union was built and some schools moved up to 4a, Camas, Kelso, and Columbia River dominated the league and when they played each other those were always the biggest/loudest games in the area besides maybe the Evergreen Mt View rivalry game.

Kelso fans do not like Camas/Vancouver kids beating them in their own stadium.