Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

McMillan's catch

79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 710
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Haven't seen anything acknowledging it. His catch was fuckin reall good and at a huge time in the game. Maybe the Wrs should be the McMillan's boys?

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2022

Haven't seen anything acknowledging it. His catch was fuckin reall good and at a huge time in the game. Maybe the Wrs should be the McMillan's boys?

I was a great fucking catch.

At the other extreme, what was the deal with that Texas WR?

I just can't get over how many people have failed so much at Texas. It is the perfect football school and other than old dudes ( @RaceBannon ) acknowledging the totality of their accomplishments, which borrows heavily from the black & white era, just an underwhelming achievement book operating in a so so conference with every conceivable advantage one could draw up. The difference between Texas and Oklahoma should embarrass the Longhorns, but having spent more time in that part of the country the last few years, and specifically going to the RRSO now a couple of times, and drinking with a lot of UT and OU people before, during and afterwards, they really aren't. I can't get why they don't seem to care that much. And it's not the whole academics superiority routine of sour grapes. You don't hear that much down that way.

Can @HoustonHusky or @LoneStarDawg explain this?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,674
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

"Football players make football plays." - Chuck Knox

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,674
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Come on now, don't be so corny
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

So funny hearing those schools you mention. Going to HS in Dallas in the 80's I don't recall any of those schools but Plano ever making noise. Plano was elite, even then. State was controlled by Odessa, Midland, Converse Judson, the aforementioned Plano and Carter (Dallas) got really good then (5A). Katy also had some good teams but they seemed to really turn it on in the 90's. Been really wild seeing how Texas High School football has morphed in the last 30 years.

Hell, I went to Duncanville High School. We were decent in the 80's, but nothing great. 10 years after I graduated they won State. When I went there school was 70% white, 30 % other. Now I hear it is 90% black, 10% other. And they lost in the 6A (we didn't even have 6A in the 80's) championship game a three times in the last five years (high school Bills I guess). Become a really dominant program. I check in from tim to tim and see Austin Westlake (who?) is now a hugely dominant force and basically in it every year it seems like.

HH: Come for the malarkey, stay for the Texas HS football hot talk
    still milking that shit to this day
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,159
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

So funny hearing those schools you mention. Going to HS in Dallas in the 80's I don't recall any of those schools but Plano ever making noise. Plano was elite, even then. State was controlled by Odessa, Midland, Converse Judson, the aforementioned Plano and Carter (Dallas) got really good then (5A). Katy also had some good teams but they seemed to really turn it on in the 90's. Been really wild seeing how Texas High School football has morphed in the last 30 years.

Hell, I went to Duncanville High School. We were decent in the 80's, but nothing great. 10 years after I graduated they won State. When I went there school was 70% white, 30 % other. Now I hear it is 90% black, 10% other. And they lost in the 6A (we didn't even have 6A in the 80's) championship game a three times in the last five years (high school Bills I guess). Become a really dominant program. I check in from tim to tim and see Austin Westlake (who?) is now a hugely dominant force and basically in it every year it seems like.

Plano schools suck now, the football arms race is all about economics and Plano is trending towards poor as the suburbs expand further north.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,269
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

He had 8 catches. Which 1 are you referring to?
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I’ve never claimed to be cool but if I had a time machine one of my first stops is a late 80s/early 90s Texas HS football game.

This is obviously a huge part of my interest (even though I still somehow haven’t watched the TV show, I know, I know). I don’t even know that the movie is necessarily that great, but I could watch it once a month and not get tired of it. It struck a chord and I wish I could have experienced it.
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 590
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

I think some other problems with Texas is it’s over scouted and over hyped. You probbaly have to do a lot more to get that 5th star on the west coast than you do in texas. So all of their classes are overrated almost by default.

Also I think the school coddles the football players which makes them a perpetual group of pussies.
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    edited December 2022

Swaye said:

I’ve never claimed to be cool but if I had a time machine one of my first stops is a late 80s/early 90s Texas HS football game.

This is obviously a huge part of my interest (even though I still somehow haven’t watched the TV show, I know, I know). I don’t even know that the movie is necessarily that great, but I could watch it once a month and not get tired of it. It struck a chord and I wish I could have experienced it.
    Tim McGraw as the dad should have won an academy award. I'm not even kidding. That's what brings me back again and again
    He’s incredible in it. One of my best friend’s son was a Sr this year on a good HS football team in CA. I sent him this picture most Friday’s this year: