Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

McMillan's catch

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

This all makes sense except the D2 reference. While not quite major D1, what I've seen of Texas HS football is well above D2, at least on facilities. I've been to the one in Prosper ... holy fucking shit. Western Washington and Central never played in a stadium like that, much less have one as their home field. Texas HS facilities are no fucking joke. The stadium depicted in Permian in the movie is trash now compared to what they have. I also drove by the South Lake HS stadium ... again, Ho Lee Fuck. It's unbelievable. Makes Pop Keeney, the nicest HS stadium here I've been to, look like a McDonald's playground.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Swaye said:

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

So funny hearing those schools you mention. Going to HS in Dallas in the 80's I don't recall any of those schools but Plano ever making noise. Plano was elite, even then. State was controlled by Odessa, Midland, Converse Judson, the aforementioned Plano and Carter (Dallas) got really good then (5A). Katy also had some good teams but they seemed to really turn it on in the 90's. Been really wild seeing how Texas High School football has morphed in the last 30 years.

Hell, I went to Duncanville High School. We were decent in the 80's, but nothing great. 10 years after I graduated they won State. When I went there school was 70% white, 30 % other. Now I hear it is 90% black, 10% other. And they lost in the 6A (we didn't even have 6A in the 80's) championship game a three times in the last five years (high school Bills I guess). Become a really dominant program. I check in from tim to tim and see Austin Westlake (who?) is now a hugely dominant force and basically in it every year it seems like.

HH: Come for the malarkey, stay for the Texas HS football hot talk
    I’ve never claimed to be cool but if I had a time machine one of my first stops is a late 80s/early 90s Texas HS football game.

This is obviously a huge part of my interest (even though I still somehow haven’t watched the TV show, I know, I know). I don’t even know that the movie is necessarily that great, but I could watch it once a month and not get tired of it. It struck a chord and I wish I could have experienced it.
    I think the movie is fucking great. Very well done IMO.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    better country guy performance, McGraw or yoakum in Slingblade?
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,615
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

McMillan went from a player I could give a flying fuck if he transferred to one of the more badass players on the team. His catch/steal and pop off vs Oregon was legendary.

Totally agree, and that was a change point in that game that I think has carried over to the entire team thereafter… a much better mind set, you couldn’t help but be jacked at watching that from the sidelines.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

better country guy performance, McGraw or yoakum in Slingblade?

Yoakum. He’s also in the Country Music HOF
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

This all makes sense except the D2 reference. While not quite major D1, what I've seen of Texas HS football is well above D2, at least on facilities. I've been to the one in Prosper ... holy fucking shit. Western Washington and Central never played in a stadium like that, much less have one as their home field. Texas HS facilities are no fucking joke. The stadium depicted in Permian in the movie is trash now compared to what they have. I also drove by the South Lake HS stadium ... again, Ho Lee Fuck. It's unbelievable. Makes Pop Keeney, the nicest HS stadium here I've been to, look like a McDonald's playground.

Some D2s are pretty well funded, Grand Valley State would put any FCS school to shame when it comes to facilities - shit, that entire conference has indoor practice facilities and a nutrition staff.

The D2 football on the west coast is complete dogshit, CWU was ranked #8 two years ago and lost by 40 to Ferris State, Azusa and Humboldt folded in the last decade, it’s just bad.

WA HS football is some of the saddest shit I’ve seen, and I played it. The “big schools” on the east side of the state get 300-800 people max at games, not sure what it’s like on the west side, but playing on saturdays at 11 definitely has hurt the culture of HS football out here, Friday Nights are the best part of HS Football.

I lived in Ohio early on in high school, that’s where I got a dose of real HS football, the whole town I lived in would shut down by 4PM on Fridays and the star player getting a PWO to tOSU was the front page of the news. I loved the culture over there, although the fans are absolutely delusional.

When Braxton Miller got hurt in 2013(2014?) I removed my friends grandma asking
    “so who’s the back-up?”
    Friend- “JT Barrett, he was a top recruit..but it’s nerve racking”
    “Is he white or black?”
    “Black”
    “We will be just fine then honey, don’t you worry.”

• Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    theLSkid said:

WA HS football is some of the saddest shit I’ve seen, and I played it. The “big schools” on the east side of the state get 300-800 people max at games, not sure what it’s like on the west side, but playing on saturdays at 11 definitely has hurt the culture of HS football out here, Friday Nights are the best part of HS Football.
    Attendance varies by program, but it’s not that different over here. Playoff games for local Seattle/Eastside schools playing against each other will be a lot more but not every Friday.

As someone who somewhat follows HS football, had no idea they played Saturday morning games. All leagues? Just some? When did that start? Fucking dumb.
  • Options
    Founders Club

theLSkid said:

Attendance varies by program, but it’s not that different over here. Playoff games for local Seattle/Eastside schools playing against each other will be a lot more but not every Friday.

As someone who somewhat follows HS football, had no idea they played Saturday morning games. All leagues? Just some? When did that start? Fucking dumb.
    This is obviously dated but I remember taking the sidelines for #myLancers on many Saturdays but I don’t think we ever played before noon.
    I’ve completely missed that. In 4 years of Metro football we played one time on Saturday night and if memory serves it had to with field availability for whoever we played. But must be more common than I’ve noticed.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

theLSkid said:

My pops taught at highline for awhile back in the day and he told me that a lot of the public schools switched to Saturday games once schools were sharing fields/stadiums, specifically smaller schools but when watching tape of Seattle kids I often notice that it’s daytime out, not under the lights too often. I’m not as well versed in west side HS football as many of you though.

• Options
    Founders Club
    theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

My pops taught at highline for awhile back in the day and he told me that a lot of the public schools switched to Saturday games once schools were sharing fields/stadiums, specifically smaller schools but when watching tape of Seattle kids I often notice that it’s daytime out, not under the lights too often. I’m not as well versed in west side HS football as many of you though.

The field thing makes sense but is a bummer too. Gonna go work on my time machine so we can all see REAL HS football with Swaye.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I think at one point, 5-6 schools shared Highline Stadium and at least 2-3 shared Renton Stadium.
    Woodinville, Bothell and North Creek share Pop Keeney. Ed-Wood, Lynnwood, Meadowdale and MLT share Edmonds. Everett, Cascade and Jackson share Everett Memorial. Lots of Thursday or 5PM & 8PM Friday starts for those.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

Teams in that area, save @CFetters_Nacho_Lover #Lancers, are fucking awful. Highline nearly folded the program in the last 10 years, shoutout Deaontee for what he's done there. Tyee might have. Washington, Des Moines, dreck.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,663
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

So funny hearing those schools you mention. Going to HS in Dallas in the 80's I don't recall any of those schools but Plano ever making noise. Plano was elite, even then. State was controlled by Odessa, Midland, Converse Judson, the aforementioned Plano and Carter (Dallas) got really good then (5A). Katy also had some good teams but they seemed to really turn it on in the 90's. Been really wild seeing how Texas High School football has morphed in the last 30 years.

Hell, I went to Duncanville High School. We were decent in the 80's, but nothing great. 10 years after I graduated they won State. When I went there school was 70% white, 30 % other. Now I hear it is 90% black, 10% other. And they lost in the 6A (we didn't even have 6A in the 80's) championship game a three times in the last five years (high school Bills I guess). Become a really dominant program. I check in from tim to tim and see Austin Westlake (who?) is now a hugely dominant force and basically in it every year it seems like.

HH: Come for the malarkey, stay for the Texas HS football hot talk
    I’ve never claimed to be cool but if I had a time machine one of my first stops is a late 80s/early 90s Texas HS football game.

This is obviously a huge part of my interest (even though I still somehow haven’t watched the TV show, I know, I know). I don’t even know that the movie is necessarily that great, but I could watch it once a month and not get tired of it. It struck a chord and I wish I could have experienced it.
    Tim McGraw as the dad should have won an academy award. I'm not even kidding. That's what brings me back again and again

Tim McGraw is a motherless whore