Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

McMillan's catch

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,674
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

This all makes sense except the D2 reference. While not quite major D1, what I've seen of Texas HS football is well above D2, at least on facilities. I've been to the one in Prosper ... holy fucking shit. Western Washington and Central never played in a stadium like that, much less have one as their home field. Texas HS facilities are no fucking joke. The stadium depicted in Permian in the movie is trash now compared to what they have. I also drove by the South Lake HS stadium ... again, Ho Lee Fuck. It's unbelievable. Makes Pop Keeney, the nicest HS stadium here I've been to, look like a McDonald's playground.
    WA HS football is some of the saddest shit I’ve seen, and I played it. The “big schools” on the east side of the state get 300-800 people max at games, not sure what it’s like on the west side, but playing on saturdays at 11 definitely has hurt the culture of HS football out here, Friday Nights are the best part of HS Football.
    Attendance varies by program, but it’s not that different over here. Playoff games for local Seattle/Eastside schools playing against each other will be a lot more but not every Friday.

As someone who somewhat follows HS football, had no idea they played Saturday morning games. All leagues? Just some? When did that start? Fucking dumb.
    My pops taught at highline for awhile back in the day and he told me that a lot of the public schools switched to Saturday games once schools were sharing fields/stadiums, specifically smaller schools but when watching tape of Seattle kids I often notice that it’s daytime out, not under the lights too often. I’m not as well versed in west side HS football as many of you though.

I think at one point, 5-6 schools shared Highline Stadium and at least 2-3 shared Renton Stadium.
    Woodinville, Bothell and North Creek share Pop Keeney. Ed-Wood, Lynnwood, Meadowdale and MLT share Edmonds. Everett, Cascade and Jackson share Everett Memorial. Lots of Thursday or 5PM & 8PM Friday starts for those.
    Don't forget Inglemoor, fucktardo
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,617
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Stilly Cup and the Arlington/Marysville games generally fill both bleachers of Arlingtons “stadium”. Before Lake Stevens took off as a “brand” and was just Wesco good the Arlington/Lake Stevens games were a big deal back in my day in the mid nineties. John C. Larson Stadium is a decent venue to watch a game. It’s on campus and all Arlingtons. The seats are covered from the rain by a roof, pretty good for Wesco. Must suck to share your field with four other teams. Another advantage to living in the sticks I suppose.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The Stilly Cup and the Arlington/Marysville games generally fill both bleachers of Arlingtons “stadium”. Before Lake Stevens took off as a “brand” and was just Wesco good the Arlington/Lake Stevens games were a big deal back in my day in the mid nineties. John C. Larson Stadium is a decent venue to watch a game. It’s on campus and all Arlingtons. The seats are covered from the rain by a roof, pretty good for Wesco. Must suck to share your field with four other teams. Another advantage to living in the sticks I suppose.

Speaking of covered stadiums, why the actual fuck do places like Redmond, Eastlake, Mercer Island, Lake Warshington (I think), have uncovered stadiums? Even Bellevue is only partially covered. Desultory and shameful.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

For consistent attendance & support, it's probably the large 2A schools that do the best like Lynden (FTGs) and Tumwater (#MyTBirds). Good 1A progrums—Royal, Connell, Lynden Christian (FTGs too), Montesano, Eatonville (#MyCruisers), Mt. Baker, Meridian—could make a strong case for being most rabid but just not as many people.

Lake Stevens, Glacier Peak and Snohomish turn out the fans pretty well with big-for-Washington stadiums. Same for Ferndale and sometims Burlington-Edison. From what I understand, Woodinville and Bothell get good support too. Puyallup, Auburn (I think), G-K. Basically suburban towns farther from the rotten Seattle core. I think the Tri Cities schools used to do pretty well, but that demo is shifting more & more towards fútbol. Same with places like Zillah. Speaking of Zillah and others, they have make strides in conversion therapy with their Hispanic population, which is cool.

What I've seen of Metro/KingCo support is disappointing considering the population base, but to be expected I suppose considering the demographic. I've been to playoff games twice at Bellevue and they had hardly anyone there. Went to a Rainer Beach game, granted that's been more than 20 years ago, deserted. O'Dea seems to be consistent.

EWA scheduling is confounded by distance. The league I grew up playing in had no more than a 25 min bus ride between any of the schools. Look at the Mid-Columbia or whatever that league is called now. 100 mile distance. Hell, Hermiston plays in that conference now.

They do. HS football is culture in the Bothell, Woodinville, Inglemoor triangle of hate. Ask @DerekJohnson . The Bothell/Wood game usually packs up, and before Inglemoor took a nosedive, the Bothell/Inglemoor game would pack too.

Nothing like what I imagine Texas HS football does, but it's solid and packed and well supported by normal human standards.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,364
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

This is the biggest crock of shit I ever read. Good Lord Texas High School Football in the late 80's was a fancy feast. Who is anybody to think bit's on the upswing. Every couple, except More_cock and his wife, have went to a Texas high school football game. People are people.

Businesses shut down early. Standing room only. People watching from hills outside the stadiums and liking it. Convoys of trucks miles long going to away games. It's hard to accurately express how important and woven into the culture high school football was in Texas at that tim. It was nothing new. I didn't even much appreciate it at the tim. Just a dumb fuck high school kid going to the games and hoping to get some beer and trim while blasting Back in Black in a Camaro. Didn't even fully realize I was living in a golden age. It was just how things were. I didn't know any different. I go to high school football games in Virginia now and they can get in the back of the line with the bleeding rectum bitch.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,356

Speaking of covered stadiums, why the actual fuck do places like Redmond, Eastlake, Mercer Island, Lake Warshington (I think), have uncovered stadiums? Even Bellevue is only partially covered. Desultory and shameful.
    The 509 is laughing at the softness.

Covered stadiums. Christ.

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,306
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My high school stadium (RIP BIG 9) seated 5,000 when I played, and expanded to 9,000 a couple years later. It was packed for rivalry games, and stayed packed after the upgrade. I went to a game in the early 80's that had an estimated 12,000 in attendance, with people 10-deep around the track. I drove from Spokane to watch Drew Bledsoe, and it was a packed house. The gym (5,000) was, IIRC, billed as the largest HS gym west of the Mississippi when built, and regularly was packed. I know it's not like that now, but it was fun as fuck to play in that environment.

One of my daughters went to Bellevue when Butch was getting it going, and she said nobody (students) went to the games because they didn't know any players, and never saw them in class or on campus...
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Football in Washington state has never been in a better postition, quite honestly
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,561
    Swaye's Wigwam

State of the art in 1970

Olympia
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,674
    Founders Club

For consistent attendance & support, it's probably the large 2A schools that do the best like Lynden (FTGs) and Tumwater (#MyTBirds). Good 1A progrums—Royal, Connell, Lynden Christian (FTGs too), Montesano, Eatonville (#MyCruisers), Mt. Baker, Meridian—could make a strong case for being most rabid but just not as many people.

Lake Stevens, Glacier Peak and Snohomish turn out the fans pretty well with big-for-Washington stadiums. Same for Ferndale and sometims Burlington-Edison. From what I understand, Woodinville and Bothell get good support too. Puyallup, Auburn (I think), G-K. Basically suburban towns farther from the rotten Seattle core. I think the Tri Cities schools used to do pretty well, but that demo is shifting more & more towards fútbol. Same with places like Zillah. Speaking of Zillah and others, they have make strides in conversion therapy with their Hispanic population, which is cool.

What I've seen of Metro/KingCo support is disappointing considering the population base, but to be expected I suppose considering the demographic. I've been to playoff games twice at Bellevue and they had hardly anyone there. Went to a Rainer Beach game, granted that's been more than 20 years ago, deserted. O'Dea seems to be consistent.

EWA scheduling is confounded by distance. The league I grew up playing in had no more than a 25 min bus ride between any of the schools. Look at the Mid-Columbia or whatever that league is called now. 100 mile distance. Hell, Hermiston plays in that conference now.

They do. HS football is culture in the Bothell, Woodinville, Inglemoor triangle of hate. Ask @DerekJohnson . The Bothell/Wood game usually packs up, and before Inglemoor took a nosedive, the Bothell/Inglemoor game would pack too.

Nothing like what I imagine Texas HS football does, but it's solid and packed and well supported by normal human standards.
    Yes, Woodinville/Bothell would be standing room only every year, 5,000+ fans
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,269
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I haven’t watched much Texas, but Worthy looks like Mickens brain and hands inside John Ross body. Watching him between plays and on the sideline he looks like a walking headcase, I hear he’s in weekly NIL escalations.

The problem with the state of Texas is that HS are run like D2 colleges, they recruit, they have dedicated staff, they have 80M+ facilities and anyone worth a damn or looks like they’re worth a damn is crowned a first round draft pick in 8th grade. They’re having a serious issue with development because kids are in the portal mindset in 9th grade if they’re not getting touches. There are still ultra elite bodies and measurables, but the fundamentals and team ball are turning to shit. This is IMHO watching north Dallas high school football (Allen, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano).

This all makes sense except the D2 reference. While not quite major D1, what I've seen of Texas HS football is well above D2, at least on facilities. I've been to the one in Prosper ... holy fucking shit. Western Washington and Central never played in a stadium like that, much less have one as their home field. Texas HS facilities are no fucking joke. The stadium depicted in Permian in the movie is trash now compared to what they have. I also drove by the South Lake HS stadium ... again, Ho Lee Fuck. It's unbelievable. Makes Pop Keeney, the nicest HS stadium here I've been to, look like a McDonald's playground.
    WA HS football is some of the saddest shit I’ve seen, and I played it. The “big schools” on the east side of the state get 300-800 people max at games, not sure what it’s like on the west side, but playing on saturdays at 11 definitely has hurt the culture of HS football out here, Friday Nights are the best part of HS Football.
    Attendance varies by program, but it’s not that different over here. Playoff games for local Seattle/Eastside schools playing against each other will be a lot more but not every Friday.

As someone who somewhat follows HS football, had no idea they played Saturday morning games. All leagues? Just some? When did that start? Fucking dumb.
    My pops taught at highline for awhile back in the day and he told me that a lot of the public schools switched to Saturday games once schools were sharing fields/stadiums, specifically smaller schools but when watching tape of Seattle kids I often notice that it’s daytime out, not under the lights too often. I’m not as well versed in west side HS football as many of you though.

Teams in that area, save @CFetters_Nacho_Lover #Lancers, are fucking awful. Highline nearly folded the program in the last 10 years, shoutout Deaontee for what he's done there. Tyee might have. Washington, Des Moines, dreck.
    #myLancers are simply the tallest midget. We’re? head and shoulders above the rest of the teams but it typically hurts us? come playoff time.

ATBS, I think #myLancers lost a close one in the state championship this year.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,269
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

So funny hearing those schools you mention. Going to HS in Dallas in the 80's I don't recall any of those schools but Plano ever making noise. Plano was elite, even then. State was controlled by Odessa, Midland, Converse Judson, the aforementioned Plano and Carter (Dallas) got really good then (5A). Katy also had some good teams but they seemed to really turn it on in the 90's. Been really wild seeing how Texas High School football has morphed in the last 30 years.

Hell, I went to Duncanville High School. We were decent in the 80's, but nothing great. 10 years after I graduated they won State. When I went there school was 70% white, 30 % other. Now I hear it is 90% black, 10% other. And they lost in the 6A (we didn't even have 6A in the 80's) championship game a three times in the last five years (high school Bills I guess). Become a really dominant program. I check in from tim to tim and see Austin Westlake (who?) is now a hugely dominant force and basically in it every year it seems like.

HH: Come for the malarkey, stay for the Texas HS football hot talk
    I’ve never claimed to be cool but if I had a time machine one of my first stops is a late 80s/early 90s Texas HS football game.

This is obviously a huge part of my interest (even though I still somehow haven’t watched the TV show, I know, I know). I don’t even know that the movie is necessarily that great, but I could watch it once a month and not get tired of it. It struck a chord and I wish I could have experienced it.
    Tim McGraw as the dad should have won an academy award. I'm not even kidding. That's what brings me back again and again

Tim McGraw is a motherless whore
    Of the Coney Island Motherless Whores?
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 791
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    I must be old because all the fields looked like the home field in Wildcats and Memorial was the only stadium HS football games were played in, state championship? Maybe?
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344

Football in Washington state has never been in a better postition, quite honestly

I’m just wondering how? They play the state title game at a High School instead of either UW, Century Link, and Roos, who all offered to host for only 1,500$.
    Teams aren’t allowed to bring more than 45 players to state title games, it costs HS’s 250$ PER KID to suit up over 45. For…what?
    We have been losing HS programs steadily over the last 10 years in the state, less kids playing every year.
    We have a top 24/7 writer in our state(Huffman) so our numbers are ultra inflated for recruits, even DeBoer mentioned how important Cali & Texas recruiting is before talking about WA recruits in his presser.

• Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344

The 509 is laughing at the softness.

Covered stadiums. Christ.

Last game of my HS career was at Gonzaga Prep in 5 degree weather and it started snowing in the 3rd quarter. Made me feel like yeti and I loved it

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

theLSkid said:

I’m just wondering how? They play the state title game at a High School instead of either UW, Century Link, and Roos, who all offered to host for only 1,500$.
    Teams aren’t allowed to bring more than 45 players to state title games, it costs HS’s 250$ PER KID to suit up over 45. For…what?
    We have been losing HS programs steadily over the last 10 years in the state, less kids playing every year.
    We have a top 24/7 writer in our state(Huffman) so our numbers are ultra inflated for recruits, even DeBoer mentioned how important Cali & Texas recruiting is before talking about WA recruits in his presser.

Not having the final four played at Husky Stadium or Clink is stupid. Not having the semi final aired live on Root is also dumb.
    All things considered, Tacoma Dome was the best place.