Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

WE NEED TO REALIZE THIS IS AN UPHILL BATTLE!

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

We were the only Big 10 team in the PAC. That was our branding.

So now we are the only MWC team in the PAC? Fucking fuck.
    Utah, Oregon State and WSU already beat us to that. But it is currently our positioning.

Basically “Chris Petersen at Ty-era UW”.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

We were the only Big 10 team in the PAC. That was our branding.

So now we are the only MWC team in the PAC? Fucking fuck.
    Utah, Oregon State and WSU already beat us to that. But it is currently our positioning.

Basically “Chris Petersen at Ty-era UW”.
    Well, we used kind of the SEC of the Pac in the 90's when we led attendance in the Pac by 20,000 per game. But still, we are a top flight research university so that's not us. Nope, we're the Michigan of the Pac to USC being tOSU (except we should be .500% at USC at worst). We need to brand as the clear #2 program west of Texas and that's just how it is. Great academis, but we give great deal about winning football games. 70,000 people don't show up to watch heart surgery at the med school as Lude used to say.
  • Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    wisconsin is the brand pete is shooting for
    pigmentally challenged hard working boring grinders that beat their bad conference opponents but nobody nationally will ever care about them because their program is bland and not competitive against the big boys
    everyone is very polite and encouraging and accidentally condescending to these programs but theres just no excitement. the "omg youre such a nice guy who will make another girl so happy some day but no not me and uhhh no not any one i know either lol" programs of college football. and this is exactly where pete wants to be. sickening.

i dont think clemson works because it was always "cool" even when they sucked. look at cj spiller picking them out of florida in 2006 despite them sucking for over a decade.
  • Options
    Pete's inner dialog:

Head coach Peterman, left, talks with head coach Saban, right, before 2016 playoff game
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Wisconsin comparison is most relevant right now as far as team culture that Petersen seems to expound, but I think we get a lot more elite athletes than they do.

We? should be pushing the "big city" narrative in recruiting. Coaches should post more likes about random gang violence, less about the fucking mountains and kayaking. Make the fast strategy kids from SoCal feel at home. How many major programs are located in the middle of a burgeoning urban environment? USC/UCLA, tOSU, Texas, Minnesota, and who else?

Pete is deliberately choosing not to sell what he should obviously be selling.
    i think he's arrogant enough to actually believe he can steal a national title because one time at boise he beat a pretty good team by 1 point on miracle trick plays in overtime in a game the other team didnt give a shit about.
    he also seems to be a genuinely good person so unlike scumbag football fans he prioritizes gay shit over giving himself the best odds of winning.
    Yes.

Culturally SEA is very similar to the Midwest and very distant from the SE. Also, very distant from California.

These are good maps representing this...

I've always thought of UW as pretty similar to midwestern programs like Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc...

We have a huge, high quality public university and we are in a town that—unlike the rest of the WC—actually really cares about football (tuff liberals like in the midwest).

People get so hung up on what's going on 'RIGHT NOW' - but overall, our brand should be in a similar space to Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin. We are sort of a combo of those things.
    This is my preferred map

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,486
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Shouldn't Yakima also be El Norte blue?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

And all of central valley Ca.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

And all of central valley Ca.
    This belongs in the Tug, but for any one who's interested.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/08/which-of-the-11-american-nations-do-you-live-in/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8d9a73d42ac3

Central Valley is trending El Norte obviously but it's rooted in Far West. Many of the Central VA counties in 2016 still went Red.

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    Overthinking the issue. Win games. That's the ultimate brand. The best kids will come because they want to win. Those who don't aren't winners. Pete is well on his way to establishing the "win" brand. It's also by far the easiest sell and the one that most matches his no bullshit recruiting philosophy.
  • Options
    As a case study, let's look at James Franklin of pedo state when he was at Vandy. He saw recruiting results immediately by promoting Nashville city life to fast-track kids. The results on the field quickly followed and he started miraculously winning multiple games in the SEC. He won 8 games two years in a row which hadn't been done since the 1920s. Unfortunately he bailed as soon as the players started getting arrested for gang rapes so we didn't get to see how successful this model could be at a non-traditional power.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Wisconsin comparison is most relevant right now as far as team culture that Petersen seems to expound, but I think we get a lot more elite athletes than they do.

We? should be pushing the "big city" narrative in recruiting. Coaches should post more likes about random gang violence, less about the fucking mountains and kayaking. Make the fast strategy kids from SoCal feel at home. How many major programs are located in the middle of a burgeoning urban environment? USC/UCLA, tOSU, Texas, Minnesota, and who else?

Pete is deliberately choosing not to sell what he should obviously be selling.
    i think he's arrogant enough to actually believe he can steal a national title because one time at boise he beat a pretty good team by 1 point on miracle trick plays in overtime in a game the other team didnt give a shit about.
    he also seems to be a genuinely good person so unlike scumbag football fans he prioritizes gay shit over giving himself the best odds of winning.
    Yes.

Culturally SEA is very similar to the Midwest and very distant from the SE. Also, very distant from California.

These are good maps representing this...

I've always thought of UW as pretty similar to midwestern programs like Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc...

We have a huge, high quality public university and we are in a town that—unlike the rest of the WC—actually really cares about football (tuff liberals like in the midwest).

People get so hung up on what's going on 'RIGHT NOW' - but overall, our brand should be in a similar space to Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin. We are sort of a combo of those things.
    In a much better city in a much more desirable state.
    Jesus, yes. Ever been to Ohio? FFS.
    I went back to Ohio once. We lost bigly because my program was gone. 12-0 my ass.
  • Options
    whuggy said:

Overthinking the issue. Win games. That's the ultimate brand. The best kids will come because they want to win. Those who don't aren't winners. Pete is well on his way to establishing the "win" brand. It's also by far the easiest sell and the one that most matches his no bullshit recruiting philosophy.

Yeah good point look at the type of class Pete managed to land at Boise State of all places after he went 14-0, won the fiesta bowl, and finished 4th in the polls:
    https://247sports.com/college/boise-state/Season/2010-Football/Commits
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2018
    whuggy said:

Add this as well:

Sorry. I had to post it for the millionth time on these threads.