Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

WE NEED TO REALIZE THIS IS AN UPHILL BATTLE!

I love following Husky football and I'm super excited about everything Petersen. in fact, I feel Chris will without question win us a few major bowl games in the near future. He just too good at what he does to be on the outside looking in, he just may be in the top 3 of all college football coaches. That being said, I see SEC teams consistently winning national titles and major bowl games so I looked a little closer at recruiting today. The PAC 12 currently has zero 5 star recruits committed and the SEC already has 10. There is a difference and we know how impactful those 5 star kids can be for a team; IE Shaq Thompson. I guess I'm thinking we need to realize Petersen at UW has an uphill battle competing against the behemoths of college football. Over the next few more years there is the likelihood that continued dominance of PAC-12 football will entice more and more West Coast talent to rush to our beloved Montlake. Let's hope so, even Petersen needs somewhat of a level playing field.

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,464
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    It’s hard POTD
  • Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Call me a fucker of butts because between your BUCK post and this I just can’t handle the ups and downs of recruiting...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I loathe excuses but there is a point about how fucked up the league is in regards to football

But a winner sees the opportunity to dominate the West and making 5 stars beg to come here

Get it done or get the fuck out

There's no short term fix to the issue that they just care more about football in the South and part of the Midwest. BUT we also have a rather advantageous situation to win 11 or 12 games a year - as long as Blake Shelton stays at USC and Chip is distracted by West Hollywood - and make to the CFP. 2010 and 2014 Oregon have a much harder path to get to the finals in the SEC.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I loathe excuses but there is a point about how fucked up the league is in regards to football

But a winner sees the opportunity to dominate the West and making 5 stars beg to come here

If we're actually analyzing this doogism the biggest thing about this is the western kids outperform their rankings year in year out (from an NFL perspective which is the best objective measure we have). If we? can get a strong enough cross section of them we can win big.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

There's no short term fix to the issue that they just care more about football in the South and part of the Midwest. BUT we also have a rather advantageous situation to win 11 or 12 games a year - as long as Blake Shelton stays at USC and Chip is distracted by West Hollywood - and make to the CFP. 2010 and 2014 Oregon have a much harder path to get to the finals in the SEC.
    All this means is it should be easier for us to dominate WC recruiting.

But our branding is awful, so it's hard.
    I think the overall product is fucking awesome and more kids are starting to get it. It's not as though we've been relevant for the past 10 years. But yes, the branding could use some tweaks. And that's where you guys come in - TSIO is the canary in the coal mine nit picking every possible weakness standing in our way of reaching the promised land.

I have a bit of comparing Pete to Dabo fetish (Clemson is easily the best example out there of what Tier II winning a NT looks like in CFP era) and even with all the shit you guys bag on Chris for, I'd argue his early results and momentum are more impressive than Dabo's. What none of us can predict is if we plateau or keep on leveling up like Clemson has done.
    Yeah, I like the comparison... LSU, UGA, Clemson and Auburn are Tier IIs that are all masquerading as Tier Is. Florida is kind of in that as well (though with their success in the 90s they are pretty close to actually being a Tier I, even though they aren't).

The reason why I point to branding is because it matters a ton when it comes to getting HS recruits. It's not cool to say you're going to UW in the same way it is to say you're going to Clemson or LSU. Largely our branding is 'uh, what about this? This is cool, right??'

I'm no expert (well, maybe I am), but that's not a great branding stance.

There are people in the marketing dept that say 'the brand is whatever CP says it is'.

If we had a solid brand like Clemson did in 2013 then I would be more optimistic.

Our brand space right now could best be described as 'mushy middle' - we aren't traditional, we aren't innovative. We aren't tough and we aren't exciting.

The teams with skrong brands in the Pac are

1. Stanford: Intellectual brutality - traditional and top notch education, if you come here you already know no one is going to watch your games but you don't care because you will get drafted in the first round and also get to say you went to Stanford.
    2. USC: Traditional, winners, big time. The Bama of the Pac. Branding could be a little better (more elaborated), but when you are the best you don't have to work too hard.
    3. Oregon: INNOVATION IS OUR TRADITION or whatever. Shiny shit. But they do it well.
    4. Utah: TUFF overachievers with good defense and a difficult home field to win at.

Our branding is weak and nonsensical. It's not coordinated nor driven by core principles.

If ever someone needed to read 'Kellogg on Branding' it's our fucking marketing dept.
    How would you have summarized our brand from circa 1990- 92 and what can we do to mirror that? Or is that branding irrelevant because that is a bygone era in which recruiting was a different animal- e.g., easier to build a fence around Washington in those days.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    We were the only Big 10 team in the PAC. That was our branding.