Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some interesting redshirt decisions upcoming

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

If we need to burn redshirts to get to a Rose Bowl so be it.... this is what we play for

Hunter Bryant is likely gone after next season so that discussion is pointless... he isn't staying for five years.

We have to play Hunter, but playing him against Cal and OSU was FUCKING RETARDED.
    If you cant see that a TE that is a lock to be gone after next year as a true junior needed TWO games to "knock off the rust" against both FURD and OSU then I cant help you.

Hunter is great, I get it, everyone wants to suck him off because the cool fags on here talk about doing it all the time...

don't burn resources that don't need to be burned because you think that a guy might leave after next year as a true junior with less games played than any TE drafted in the first 4 rounds, as the shortest, and lightest TE drafted in the past 5+ years.
    He's not a TE in the NFL...
    He is not getting drafted early as a WR

especially as a true Jr WR with ~25 games played and <75 catches

Who is the smallest "TE" in the NFL, Niles Paul at 6'1" 245lbs or something? Is that the best comparison? A guy who was returning punts and kickoffs for touchdowns and playing WR at nebraska drafted in the 5th round? What high level pick WR do you want to compare him to?

people are full fucktard dooging thinking Hunter is going to be like 6'6" 250lb OJ Howard blocking like a pro and running a 4.5 40 or 6'3" 236lb Evan Engram catching 60+ passes in a season and running one of the fastest 40 times for a TE ever (both seniors btw) and then leaving as a high draft pick as a junior. Next people are going to start comparing UW recruits still in high school to barry sanders or something... </p>
    The fact that we have this on the same bored with the monkey shit that is 'Hunter will not be here in 2021 derp derp' is really forwarding my belief that humans are actually 2 different species: one capable of intelligent simulation and abstract reasoning like this wondrous @Houhusky post - and one that has monkey shit for brains and just repeat everything they have heard in slightly different forms.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don't think it's a massive reach to think Bryant can gain 20 pounds in the offseason and get up into the 245 pound range ... he'll be a mismatch at the NFL given his size/skill combination as the league moves more to 2 TE situations. He'll never be the primary blocking TE but does it well enough.

I see both sides of the RS discussion. All else being equal, you would have preserved the RS this year. That being said though, if this is a situation where conversations between the kid, family, and coaches suggested that he was leaving after 4 years regardless then it is what it is.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,999

If we need to burn redshirts to get to a Rose Bowl so be it.... this is what we play for

Hunter Bryant is likely gone after next season so that discussion is pointless... he isn't staying for five years.

We have to play Hunter, but playing him against Cal and OSU was FUCKING RETARDED.
    Disagree. The coaches clearly don’t think Bryant is the kind of guy who’s going to stick around for a 5th year. After seeing him dominate athletically inferior defenders on Friday, I think that’s a pretty spot-on assessment. Why preserve a redshirt year for a guy who won’t use it?
    Anyone who thinks that we had to play him for a couple series vs. OSU is a fucking complete idiot and should be banned.

And that includes Paopao.
    Again, if he’s not going to be around in 2021, why the fuck does it matter? The coaches clearly made the assessment that the benefit of getting him more reps to gear up for the Apple Cup outweighed the remote possibility that he comes back for a 5th year. You might disagree with that assessment if you think there is a chance he comes back, but to call it “FUCKING RETARDED” is just standard DDY hysterical hyperbole.
    Again you fucking idiot - he could get injured and play half years you fuckstick. LIKE HE DID THIS YEAR!!! LIKE HE DID LAST YEAR...

AND PERHAPS THAT COULD PREVENT HIM FROM LEAVING EARLY YOU FUCKING RETARDED COW.

Jesus fucking Christ you coach-defenders are complete fucking idiots.
    I don't want to hear it but I trust the coaches to know that he ain't here to play school (for more than required).
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

I don't think it's a massive reach to think Bryant can gain 20 pounds in the offseason and get up into the 245 pound range ... he'll be a mismatch at the NFL given his size/skill combination as the league moves more to 2 TE situations. He'll never be the primary blocking TE but does it well enough.

I see both sides of the RS discussion. All else being equal, you would have preserved the RS this year. That being said though, if this is a situation where conversations between the kid, family, and coaches suggested that he was leaving after 4 years regardless then it is what it is.

He's already swole AF. He's not adding 20 more pounds on that frame and maintaining his speed.

It's not just his weight that's an issue for him at the next level it's his height. Teams want their TE's to present a big target.

He's a classic tweener.

Now, there's enough innovative OCs out there I think somebody will get him and turn him into a monster threat, he's going to have a great career (if he goes the right place), but they probably won't have to use a high pick to do it.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Disagree. The coaches clearly don’t think Bryant is the kind of guy who’s going to stick around for a 5th year. After seeing him dominate athletically inferior defenders on Friday, I think that’s a pretty spot-on assessment. Why preserve a redshirt year for a guy who won’t use it?
    Anyone who thinks that we had to play him for a couple series vs. OSU is a fucking complete idiot and should be banned.

Again, if he’s not going to be around in 2021, why the fuck does it matter? The coaches clearly made the assessment that the benefit of getting him more reps to gear up for the Apple Cup outweighed the remote possibility that he comes back for a 5th year. You might disagree with that assessment if you think there is a chance he comes back, but to call it “FUCKING RETARDED” is just standard DDY hysterical hyperbole.
    Again you fucking idiot - he could get injured and play half years you fuckstick. LIKE HE DID THIS YEAR!!! LIKE HE DID LAST YEAR...

It's like you think that factor wasn't also part of the decision. Of course he could get hurt. Shit, he could get hurt bad enough next year that 2020 and 2021 are completely irrelevant and his career is over. He could get hurt in the 2nd game of 2020 and redshirt the whole year, or he could get hurt in the 5th game of 2020 and we'll sorely wish that we hadn't burned his redshirt this year. All of those are possibilities. I'm sure there are coaches who would put more weight on the future probability of him getting injured and therefore bank on him potentially needing that fifth year, and would have determined that reps against OSU weren't worth more than that future possibility. Other coaches, such as ours, would prioritize getting him as game-ready as possible for the last three game stretch that will make or break the 2018 season.

The point, you dense motherfucker, is that it's a cost-benefit analysis, and different coaches will come to different conclusions. Both conclusions are perfectly valid, though I happen to agree more with the one our coaches came to (and I said as much when Bryant was back for the Stanford game, that I hoped we wouldn't sit him for OSU).

But I should probably know better than that and not get in the way of another self-parodying DDY rant.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

WE BURNED THE YEAR FOR LIKE 10 SNAPS AGAINST OREGON STATE!!
    I GET THAT BUT WHAT I'M SAYING IS THAT IF THE DECISION WAS MADE BY HUNTER AND HIS FAMILY REGARDLESS THEN IT IS WHAT IT IS ... JUST BECAUSE YOU GIVE PEOPLE THE RIGHT INFORMATION DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY WILL USE IT ... PEOPLE ARE STUPID UNTIL THEY PROVE THAT THEY AREN'T
  • Options

Tequilla said:

He's already swole AF. He's not adding 20 more pounds on that frame and maintaining his speed.

It's not just his weight that's an issue for him at the next level it's his height. Teams want their TE's to present a big target.

He's a classic tweener.

Now, there's enough innovative OCs out there I think somebody will get him and turn him into a monster threat, he's going to have a great career (if he goes the right place), but they probably won't have to use a high pick to do it.
    The game is changing ... I don't think it's far fetched to think that he couldn't get up to 240-245 (remember he didn't really have an offseason this year to fully work out) without losing ability. He will be fine at the NFL level.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

He's a classic tweener.

He's a tweener in the mid-2000s NFL. He's only 5-10 pounds shy of being a prototypical tight end in the modern NFL (and his weight was low this year because he didn't have a full offseason of S&C). Evan Engram has a near identical frame and skillset to Bryant, and was taken in the first round. Teams will absolutely take Bryant in the mid rounds as a tight-end/potential convert to WR. If he actually puts on weight in the next year or two, then he could easily play himself into the first round.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,536
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hunter is kind of a Wes Welker type who will find a job in the NFL due to film study and a blue collar work ethic
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

It's like you think that factor wasn't also part of the decision. Of course he could get hurt. Shit, he could get hurt bad enough next year that 2020 and 2021 are completely irrelevant and his career is over. He could get hurt in the 2nd game of 2020 and redshirt the whole year, or he could get hurt in the 5th game of 2020 and we'll sorely wish that we hadn't burned his redshirt this year. All of those are possibilities. I'm sure there are coaches who would put more weight on the future probability of him getting injured and therefore bank on him potentially needing that fifth year, and would have determined that reps against OSU weren't worth more than that future possibility. Other coaches, such as ours, would prioritize getting him as game-ready as possible for the last three game stretch that will make or break the 2018 season.

The point, you dense motherfucker, is that it's a cost-benefit analysis, and different coaches will come to different conclusions. Both conclusions are perfectly valid, though I happen to agree more with the one our coaches came to (and I said as much when Bryant was back for the Stanford game, that I hoped we wouldn't sit him for OSU).

But I should probably know better than that and not get in the way of another self-parodying DDY rant.
    This is exhibit A against arguing with stupid people. They can’t tell when they’ve lost the argument because they are too fucking dumb to detect it.
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 598
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I can maybe get the Bryant deployment if you are leaving yourself the possibility of shutting him down for the bowel game

I’m not sure I can follow how and why we’ve used Hampton/Irvin/Gordon, and do not trust Pete not impulsively using them on special teams going forward (especially in the bowel game where his tryhards will get crushed)

Finally, we seem to have redshirted Tuli despite having to give meaningful snaps for guys like John Clark, and Spiker and Osborne can’t even get game snaps despite our WR JAGs, and special teams tryhards.

It just doesn’t add up to a coherent policy - maybe there is some magic formula behind the scenes which explains all this, but it feels more like Pete is just flying by the seat of his pants because he hasn’t figured out how best to use the new rule, and instead is impulsively just playing the guys he thinks are best, or likes the best, in the moment
  • Options

This is exhibit A against arguing with stupid people. They can’t tell when they’ve lost the argument because they are too fucking dumb to detect it.
    Jesus Christ, OOYWE.
  • Options
    All of Hampton, Irvin, and Gordon are going to be playing next year and our special teams are terrible because we don't have good LB/DB depth to plug in there without burning some redshirts ... I suspect that most of the DBs will continue to get game reps and then move into the 3 year starter realm starting next year
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,458
    edited November 2018
    Bread said:

Jas kizer really played every game? I haven't seen him once.

He had the sealing block on Gaskin's 80-yard TD

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25359255

Edit: better video here. He's lined up as FB: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25358864
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited November 2018

Tequilla said:

He's a classic tweener.

He's a tweener in the mid-2000s NFL. He's only 5-10 pounds shy of being a prototypical tight end in the modern NFL (and his weight was low this year because he didn't have a full offseason of S&C). Evan Engram has a near identical frame and skillset to Bryant, and was taken in the first round. Teams will absolutely take Bryant in the mid rounds as a tight-end/potential convert to WR. If he actually puts on weight in the next year or two, then he could easily play himself into the first round.
    Jesus fucking christ almost every single thing you typed is so fucking wrong

you can easily look up heights, weights and speeds, we have the fucking internet now with legit combine stats that aren't made up.

2015 - 19 TE drafted. Average 6'4 1/8" 251lbs
    2016 - 11 TE drafted. Average 6'4 5/8" 251lbs
    2017 - 14 TE drafted. Average 6'4 1/2" 252lbs
    2018 - 15 TE drafted. Average 6'4 7/8" 253lbs

Evan Engram a 6'3" 235lbs was also called an undersized TE. And it took a season of catching 60+ passes AND then he ran a fucking 4.42 40 to get into the first round at his size... The second fastest 40 time by a TE to Vernon Davis (and only 3rd TE ever to break 4.5)...

Hunter is 6'2" and 225 lbs (UW measurement, and they aren't making him shorter and lighter)

Hunter isnt fucking "5 lbs shy" of being a prototypical NFL tight end, and then you compare him to a guy who isnt even a NFL prototypical TE in Evan Engram.

How fucking stupid can you be.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2018

http://sportsourceanalytics.com/playerparticipation/redshirteligibility.php?calculate=true&team=Washington&formSubmitted=true

I’m not quite sure how accurate this is, but if it is true, then the following things stick out with two games left to play:
    - First, the obvious we all know with Hunter Bryant playing in three games so far
    - However, Julius Irvin has now apparently played in four games, and Dom Hampton and Kyler Gordon have played in three as well

Let’s put aside for the moment my disgust for try-hard Max Richmond special teams appearances (on the road, in the snow) while keeping Spiker/Bynum/Osborne et.al. on the shelf - we already know Peterman is ready to burn a year of Bryant’s eligibility in pursuit of the shitty Rose Bowl, but do we? think Peterman is going to burn all these freshman DBs scholarships for that pursuit as well?

Any goof, with 329 posts, who calls the rose bowl "shitty' is most likely born after 1999, likely watches husky games from his nerdy dorm (the cool Greek kids are at the game) and lives for soccer. No husky fan would utter those words. Hit the gate Doubledeuche...

DJ burned Reser's RS in the rose bowl...why? To try and win the rose bowl. It matters you fuctarded millennial . Bryant's RS doesnt matter. Cant u see that? ( Rhetorical) RS's dont matter anymore dipshit!!
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Hunter Bryant playing against Oregon State was a huge mistake. Given the situation now, you have to play him in the Pac-12 championship game and the bowl game. The coaches already blew it.