Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to Coker and DDY

Comments

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Passion said:

Michael Wilson is my number 3 of WR, then Chase Williams is next (this does not include Jalen Hall because he's going to USC). Wilson and Williams are both just a notch below Spiker and Osborne to me, but both are still very good.

I'd only take one of them in addition to Spiker and Osborne if we only take 1 TE. I like Williams better at WR than I do safety, so I don't see that happening.

And yes, if Spiker doesn't commit I see us going after Wilson and Williams and seeing who commits first.

All this energy lately discussing WRs. Fuck me.
    Sorry we forgot you like heat from the edge and push down th middle
    I just like to win. Love Osbourne, but WRs ain't that important.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Passion said:

Passion said:

Michael Wilson is my number 3 of WR, then Chase Williams is next (this does not include Jalen Hall because he's going to USC). Wilson and Williams are both just a notch below Spiker and Osborne to me, but both are still very good.

I'd only take one of them in addition to Spiker and Osborne if we only take 1 TE. I like Williams better at WR than I do safety, so I don't see that happening.

And yes, if Spiker doesn't commit I see us going after Wilson and Williams and seeing who commits first.

I think we just happy that we are actually getting good talent at WR, but we all know that this game is won in the trenches.
  • Options

Passion said:

Passion said:

I think we just happy that we are actually getting good talent at WR, but we all know that this game is won in the trenches.
    Fair enough. Cue the "Doog It Up" video.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Passion said:

Passion said:

Conference titles are won in the trenches, natties are won at every single position.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Passion said:

Passion said:

yah, cue all the strausser hate comments.

losing battle of the trenches > qb is pressured or killed > elite wr's can't get the ball > elite running game is stuffed (unless you're bo jackson or jim brown against a HS team).

the whole goddamn offense cannot function to it's potential ...
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    WRs are the second least important position... If I could have a good player at any position it would go like:

1. QB
    2. DL
    3. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

WRs are the second least important position... If I could have a good player at any position it would go like:

1. QB
    2. DL
    3. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE

This man knows shit.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

1. QB
    2. DL
    3. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE

Also, good to know we have lousy fuckass recruiters at two of the top 3 positions, and a question mark at the other. But we got 5 and 7 covered! FML.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

1a. QB
    1b. DL

2. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE

Why? Because there have been plenty of average-to-good QBs that have won Super Bowls, big games, etc (Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms to name a few). A great defense can win if the QB simply throws the ball out of bounds when nothing is there, rather that shit his pants and throw costly pics. John Elway never won a Super Bowl until the broncos got a defense and a good running game with Terrell Davis.

Give me an outstanding front four, a good running game and a QB that simply doesn't fuck up.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Passion said:

1a. QB
    1b. DL

2. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE

Why? Because there have been plenty of average-to-good QBs that have won Super Bowls, big games, etc (Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms to name a few). A great defense can win if the QB simply throws the ball out of bounds when nothing is there, rather that shit his pants and throw costly pics.

Give me an outstanding front four, a good running game and a QB that simply doesn't fuck up.
    I SAID ONE FUCKING PERSON. NOT FOUR FUCKING PEOPLE.

If I could have an entire good DLINE I would take that, but the point was ONE PERSON.
    No, you said "position." If it's one person, then I agree with you.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

1. QB
    2. DL
    3. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE

Also, good to know we have lousy fuckass recruiters at two of the top 3 positions, and a question mark at the other. But we got 5 and 7 covered! FML.
    This is also compounded by how rare it is to find those guys...

So, honestly, it's not hard to find pretty good QBs, RBs and WRs. Decent LBs are the easiest to find and in our neck of the woods White TEs are a dime a dozen. The hardest kids to find are good D-Linemen (you happy now @Passion????) and so they get some out-sized emphasis.

But finding decent LBs is the easiest thing on the planet to do. That's why whenever we get a class filled with 6-1, 208 kids (like Sark's first class) I cringe. You can take those guys at any time. LBs have to be truly special for me to get excited.
  • Options

Swaye said:

1. QB
    2. DL
    3. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE

This is also compounded by how rare it is to find those guys...

So, honestly, it's not hard to find pretty good QBs, RBs and WRs. Decent LBs are the easiest to find and in our neck of the woods White TEs are a dime a dozen. The hardest kids to find are good D-Linemen (you happy now @Passion????) and so they get some out-sized emphasis.

But finding decent LBs is the easiest thing on the planet to do. That's why whenever we get a class filled with 6-1, 208 kids (like Sark's first class) I cringe. You can take those guys at any time. LBs have to be truly special for me to get excited.
    Not until we start growing local kids that are big and extremely athletic with large asses.
  • Options
    Passion said:

Passion said:

1a. QB
    1b. DL

2. OL
    4. RB
    5. DB
    6. LB
    7. WR
    8. TE

Why? Because there have been plenty of average-to-good QBs that have won Super Bowls, big games, etc (Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms to name a few). A great defense can win if the QB simply throws the ball out of bounds when nothing is there, rather that shit his pants and throw costly pics.

I SAID ONE FUCKING PERSON. NOT FOUR FUCKING PEOPLE.

If I could have an entire good DLINE I would take that, but the point was ONE PERSON.
    No, you said "position." If it's one person, then I agree with you.
    What part of "If I could have a good player at any position" don't you understand??1?1!!!2
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I love the list but I would swap #4 and #5. An all-galaxy CB is immensely valuable
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I love the list but I would swap #4 and #5. An all-galaxy CB is immensely valuable

Agreed. RB is definitely too high.

I know I'll be way in the minority on this but I'd probably take an elite WR over an elite RB quite honestly, especially given how rare it is for a an elite WR to come out of the state of Washington compared to an elite RB. We? produce RB's much better than WR's.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    dnc said:

I know I'll be way in the minority on this but I'd probably take an elite WR over an elite RB quite honestly, especially given how rare it is for a an elite WR to come out of the state of Washington compared to an elite RB. We? produce RB's much better than WR's.
    We definitely produce more high3/4* RBs, but when was the last time we had a truly elite RB out of HS in the state of Washington? As far as pass-catchers go We've had Kasen Williams, Reggie Williams, Kavario Middleton, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, etc.

I mean, obviously Jonathan Stewart came from Washington, but I can't recall as many RBs as WRs.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited February 2017

dnc said:

We definitely produce more high3/4* RBs, but when was the last time we had a truly elite RB out of HS in the state of Washington? As far as pass-catchers go We've had Kasen Williams, Reggie Williams, Kavario Middleton, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, etc.

I mean, obviously Jonathan Stewart came from Washington, but I can't recall as many RBs as WRs.
    We produce TE's very well, no argument there.

As far as WR is concerned, Kasen's the one five star at WR since Reggie, who was a 2001 recruit. And I've long been of the opinion that Kasen (like Middleton) was highly overrated.

As far as RB, if we'll go all the way back to Reggie we might as well go back to Paul Arnold. So that's as many five stars at the position. So maybe elite was the wrong word. But it feels to me like there have been far more good/very good RB's in state than WR's since then. I can't really think of any other four star caliber in state WR's besides Craig Chambers and Jermaine Kearse (and Cody Bruns, by one site). I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. But other than Kearse basically every good receiver we've had since Reggie has been out of state that I can recall.

RB, by contrast, has had a nice run of in state studs, especially lately:

@GrandpaSankey's progeny
    Gaskin
    Salvon
    Snowboarder
    TreShaun (assuming he'll be an RB since that what DDY says and he knows this shit better than I do)

That's way more in state talent than WR's produced since Reggie. And to me Sankey and Gaskin at least are elite, 5 stars or not. Salvon too. I can't say that about Kearse, who was good but never elite.

Again, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone (probably both at RB and WR), but to me it feels like Washington's turning out a highly regarded RB at least every two years whereas at WR it's more like every five or six.

• Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    dnc said:

dnc said:

We produce TE's very well, no argument there.

As far as WR is concerned, Kasen's the one five star at WR since Reggie, who was a 2001 recruit. And I've long been of the opinion that Kasen (like Middleton) was highly overrated.

As far as RB, if we'll go all the way back to Reggie we might as well go back to Paul Arnold. So that's as many five stars at the position. So maybe elite was the wrong word. But it feels to me like there have been far more good/very good RB's in state than WR's since then. I can't really think of any other four star caliber in state WR's besides Craig Chambers and Jermaine Kearse (and Cody Bruns, by one site). I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. But other than Kearse basically every good receiver we've had since Reggie has been out of state that I can recall.

RB, by contrast, has had a nice run of in state studs, especially lately:

@GrandpaSankey's progeny
    Gaskin
    Salvon
    Snowboarder
    TreShaun (assuming he'll be an RB since that what DDY says and he knows this shit better than I do)

That's way more in state talent than WR's produced since Reggie. And to me Sankey and Gaskin at least are elite, 5 stars or not. Salvon too. I can't say that about Kearse, who was good but never elite.

Again, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone (probably both at RB and WR), but to me it feels like Washington's turning out a highly regarded RB at least every two years whereas at WR it's more like every five or six.

Yeah I definitely agree with you here. More "quality" RBs definitely come from the state than WRs. Culp probably ends up at TE, so our best WR ends up being Mason Starling or some other mid/low 3* type.

One name to look out for is 2020 WR Gee Scott from EC. He should be a 4* as his recruiting cycle nears.