Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Regarding Houston Meeting with Larry Scott

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
Likely the beginning of the next shake up of trying to get 4 conferences of 16 schools.

PAC needs 4 schools
SEC, ACC, and Big 10 all need 2 schools

Big 12 has 10 schools ... presence of ND makes 11 ... but would be pretty much bound to ACC.

Oklahoma and Texas are obviously the big prizes ... I don't think that there's any chance Oklahoma and Oklahoma don't show up somewhere together.

Kansas may be a fit for the Big 10 because of basketball.

West Virginia probably has somewhere to go whether ACC or Big 10 ... they bring enough to the table.

Iowa State and KState are really basketball schools that probably don't have a home for football.

The non-Texas Texas-based Big 12 schools all have some issues. Tech is the biggest but in the worst location and not really any kind of academic pedigree (#RaiderRash) ... TCU has good programs and academics but the "C" could turn some off as well it being a smaller private school versus large state school ... Baylor is even more of a religion problem than TCU and is facing more uncertainty with what is going on with their football program not to mention the location is shit.

Then you have the non Power 5 schools that have some kind of asset that they bring to the table ... this includes Boise, UConn, Houston, UCF, and Memphis.

Nothing works for the PAC without starting with the Oklahoma schools. I doubt Boise can get their academics up enough or brings really enough to the table (across the board) to warrant inclusion. Probably have to bite the bullet with Texas. That leaves 1 remaining spot for another Texas school. I'd expect the split then to go PAC8 vs New8.

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    You considered Boise for the Pac but not UW for the Big Sky?

CHRIST
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,116
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    But will Brian Kelly coach both Oklahoma schools?!?!
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    There were at least 5 different reasons for flagging that bullshit OP.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2016
    Way overanalyzed as usual.

This meeting meant nothing for the PAC. The next round of realignment is not starting in Houston.

This meeting was all about the Houston AD trying to leverage the threat of the PAC in Texas into a seat at the Big 12 table.
  • Options
    Mad_Son said:

I want Rice to join the Pac-12 because that is the nicest stadium in Houston (unless we count the new Katy HS stadium)

Houston Stadium Superiority Guy
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Likely the beginning of the next shake up of trying to get 4 conferences of 16 schools.

PAC needs 4 schools

Big 12 has 10 schools ... presence of ND makes 11 ... but would be pretty much bound to ACC.

Oklahoma and Texas are obviously the big prizes ... I don't think that there's any chance Oklahoma and Oklahoma don't show up somewhere together.

West Virginia probably has somewhere to go whether ACC or Big 10 ... they bring enough to the table.

Iowa State and KState are really basketball schools that probably don't have a home for football.

The non-Texas Texas-based Big 12 schools all have some issues. Tech is the biggest but in the worst location and not really any kind of academic pedigree (#RaiderRash) ... TCU has good programs and academics but the "C" could turn some off as well it being a smaller private school versus large state school ... Baylor is even more of a religion problem than TCU and is facing more uncertainty with what is going on with their football program not to mention the location is shit.

Then you have the non Power 5 schools that have some kind of asset that they bring to the table ... this includes Boise, UConn, Houston, UCF, and Memphis.

Nothing works for the PAC without starting with the Oklahoma schools. I doubt Boise can get their academics up enough or brings really enough to the table (across the board) to warrant inclusion. Probably have to bite the bullet with Texas. That leaves 1 remaining spot for another Texas school. I'd expect the split then to go PAC8 vs New8.

You know we had Oklahoma/Okie State (and begrudgingly Texas, but they were still coming) during round two of Power 16 realignment approx. 3/4 years ago and the conference said thanks but no thanks.

In your opinion, after we snubbed OU and Texas would they even consider coming to the PAC?

We know who Larry Scott is as a commish (miles better than Tom Hansen, but that's not saying much), It will be fascinating to see how bold the Big XII gets. If it was me I would target the LA schools and then the Ariz schools or Utah/Colorado (the prize is obviously SC/UCLA the others are geographical tie in's and don't move the needle much, but if it sells the LA schools I would let them pick).

There's currently 5 power conferences with 4 superconferences the end game. The SEC and Big Ten are locks. It's between the ACC/BIG XII and us for the final two spots. I believe the ACC can pull enough of their bb schools (Syracuse/Pitt/etc) in to get 16. That leaves us and the Big XII for the final spot, and in typical Pac-12 fashion we had the first chance and fucked the dog.

• Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Mad_Son said:

I want Rice to join the Pac-12 because that is the nicest stadium in Houston (unless we count the new Katy HS stadium)

Houston Stadium Superiority Guy
    The new Houston stadium is way nicer than Rice but Rice is in one of the best neighborhoods in town.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    edited July 2016
    godawgst said:

Tequilla said:

PAC needs 4 schools

You know we had Oklahoma/Okie State (and begrudgingly Texas, but they were still coming) during round two of Power 16 realignment approx. 3/4 years ago and the conference said thanks but no thanks.

In your opinion, after we snubbed OU and Texas would they even consider coming to the PAC?

We know who Larry Scott is as a commish (miles better than Tom Hansen, but that's not saying much), It will be fascinating to see how bold the Big XII gets. If it was me I would target the LA schools and then the Ariz schools or Utah/Colorado (the prize is obviously SC/UCLA the others are geographical tie in's and don't move the needle much, but if it sells the LA schools I would let them pick).

There's currently 5 power conferences with 4 superconferences the end game. The SEC and Big Ten are locks. It's between the ACC/BIG XII and us for the final two spots. I believe the ACC can pull enough of their bb schools (Syracuse/Pitt/etc) in to get 16. That leaves us and the Big XII for the final spot, and in typical Pac-12 fashion we had the first chance and fucked the dog.

We all love to hate the PAC and Larry Scott but the conference is not dissolving anytime in the next 30 years.

Academis, geography, tradition, prestige, Olympic sports, demographics...Big 12 will be squeezed out if anyone is but at this point I think 5 major conferences is a more likely status quo.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,305
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2016
    ESPN is going to launch the ACC Network. So that's 3 out of 4. It's between the Big12 and the Pac.

We? lose
  • Options

ESPN is going to launch the ACC Network. So that's 3 out of 4. It's between the Big12 and the Pac.

We? lose

ESPN and Texas will decide the fourth major
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    haie said:

Fuck this shit. Larry Scott needs to get back to the pressing matter of figuring out how to get rid of Utah and Colorado and ASU and Arizona.