Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2015
    Agree 100%. I believe Mora has turned the culture around, especially in the AD. Getting more $, new facilities, stemmed the SC dominance significantly. Even if he never wins anything meaningful, he's built a platform that can possibly compete at an elite level for future coaches.

Northwestern should be on there. Elite Academis, big city, power5 Conf. They just don't care enough to be good.
  • Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,438
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Well, UCLA is easily the most underachieving... didn't need a list to see that.

If you go to UCLA, it's for the wrong reasons. Always has been, always will be. They've got good players, but they will never have sustained success.

If a kid chooses UCLA over USC, they are basically saying, they want to live in Westwood over Compton for non-football reasons. Proximity to Santa Monica looms large in the minds of soft kids.

That's not how you get great football teams.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    edited July 2015
    I agree with RoadDawg on ASU....they haven't underachieved. Why should the be good? Warm weather, parties, and girls do not make a championship program.

They've achieved exactly as much as they should.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Our facilities are easily the worst now. And have at best been mediocre forever. SC was right there until very recently. UCLA is about to break ground on a 60M football only facility. And a 40M bball practice facility. Casey Wasserman is emerging as our Phil Knight, which along with TV money and Mora sticking it to SC has reinvigorated the fanbase and the donorbase more importantly.

Rosebowl, I think only sucks for students. If you're an alumni or a player it's probably a benefit or irrelevant. It's a great tailgate spot and a nice setting, plus one of the most historic stadiums in the U.S. Plus when they're good they'll draw more than anyone but SC out west.

The "UCLA is always soft thing" is just what fat people stuck in 1991 like DDY say to assuage their fears of UCLA becoming a real player. Mora has us at a top15 level after a decade of shit with possibly even more upside. Bob Fucking Toldeo was instant replay away from a NATTY birth in 1998 and won 20 in a row. It's easy to win here if the AD cares to win, but even easier to do so at SC.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    dnc said:

There have been two programs that have been truly ascendent in my lifetime.

One (Miami) got it done because they were around a lot of black people and didn't find them scary. They started recruiting them and didn't give a fucking shit about anything (also had a great coach).

The other (Oregon) did it because they had a singularly minded investor who pushed to get to the top in the winner way. He bent rules, used tools, paid, cajoled, etc. to get them built up to a 'respectable' point.

UCLA will always fucking suck. So will ASU.

Ole Miss doesn't even make any fucking sense. They were never good, Mississippi produces a lot of talent (there's an irony there somewhere that the most racist, slave owning state benefits because they have lots of black people), but they just don't have the population or fan base. Once other people pay more (right now they are clearly highest bidder), they'll go back into shitsville. Freeze sucks.

It's hard to see a team on the horizon like Miami or Oregon which have become legit-ish powers. Still NOGAF about Miami football and Oregon is a Phil Knight stroke from losing it all in 6 years.

What are @Auburndawg's iron laws again? Population, tradition and something else?

They should've consulted him before they made this list, obviously!

Voted down for not including Florida State. They had never finished in the AP pole before they hired Bowden in 76. Their ascendance >>>> Oregon's ascendance.

Unless you're younger than I thought. Someone should do a pole and ask everyone how old they are.
    Yeah, you're right about FSU, but the thing is they were playing in bowels by the time I watched football. I was real early to love football, but they were in top bowls by '79 (I was born in the fall of '74) so, I didn't 'see' the ascendence.

But, yeah, they're legit.

They seem to be a case of 'great coach, lots of black kids who white people in the south find scary, college town, people give a shit'.

Miami doesn't have those last two. As you no doubt know, comparing Tallahassee to Miami is like comparing Pullman to Paris.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't get the LA distraction as an excuse for being soft vz. The sec farm boy shtick.

SC in the PC glory years had snoop dog performing at frat parties with the players and they still won a natty(ies).

You win or you don't. UCLA hasn't wanted it bad enough. Similar to modern Washington but without the excuse of being located in an area devoid of an abundance of talent
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Don't forget when talking about Miami how much the cocaine wars in the late 70's and early 80's made Miami a place ripe with cash and an exciting place to be ... particularly for kids that didn't have a problem breaking some rules.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Re: ASU

This Quook faggot (he was dumber and more annoying than Pdx, OneFineDuck, and many others) kept acting like Phoenix had this gigantic amount of talent. I don't follow TBS enough to know if that's true. I know we usually get a couple of guys from there, AZ gets maybe four , and ASU gets several? It's an area of 4,000,000 or maybe a little more so there aren't hundreds of d 1 players.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

This Quook faggot (he was dumber and more annoying than Pdx, OneFineDuck, and many others) kept acting like Phoenix had this gigantic amount of talent. I don't follow TBS enough to know if that's true. I know we usually get a couple of guys from there, AZ gets maybe four , and ASU gets several? It's an area of 4,000,000 or maybe a little more so there aren't hundreds of d 1 players.

It's starting to produce more and more talent. Arguably even more talent than the PNW. Only problem is none of them want to play for ASU or AZ. It's a major problem for Graham. They go to the LA schools, Stanford, A&M, Oregon, etc.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,000
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

It's starting to produce more and more talent. Arguably even more talent than the PNW. Only problem is none of them want to play for ASU or AZ. It's a major problem for Graham. They go to the LA schools, Stanford, A&M, Oregon, etc.
    Arizona produces more talent than any other state out west after California. People keep moving there. I hear the weather is great.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Illinois is in a big state and they're usually the ninth place Big 10 team. Their only competition is a small poindexter school with high standards and directional schools. Again, I don't follow non-Warshington and Pac 12 TBS but maybe Notre Shame, OSU, and Michigan raid the Chicago area, but the right coach coukd keep some talent.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

I'd put Michigan at #2 behind UCLA.

1) You played 11 or 12 games per year over the last 40 years. You have more talent (usually by far) than arguably everybody except 2 teams on your schedule (OSU and ND sometimes). You play in front of the biggest crowd in the country at home and have a college major basically designed to keep everyone eligible (kinesiology).

2) You create the easiest schedule for yourself possible. You refuse to play in the southeastern part of the country (last regular season game there in 1985) and basically are boycotting the west (where you're 0-7 since 1998 when you get there - usually to lose the Rose Bowl). Many years you play your four road games in states which are bordering Michigan (like Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin). You play FSU and Miami at home and never give them a home game. You play Florida and Alabama only at neutral sites.

3) You're 4-12 in Rose Bowls in the last 50 years. You've won 1/2 a national championship in the last 67 years.

4) Since 1975, you have had only ONE season of one or less loss or tie (you know, something that Coach Petersen has done FIVE FUCKING TIMES ALREADY). You think you could just fall into seasons like that every few years with all these advantages.

They do tend to play teams like Utah, BC, and Syracuse instead of the big boys, but they were pretty dominant in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and up until about 2006. They owned Ohio State in the 90s. Some pretty bland, average coaches owned John Cooper. It was like Oregon vs. UW.

They suck in Rose Bowels but they have made a ton and they did win the NC in '97.